Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ID Card farce

• 10-09-2010 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having trouble with their Student ID card (for internet, blackboard, etc.)?

There must be about 100 students I've saw who've managed to lock themselves out in the past few days. If we leave out Registration, its probably the biggest farce I've witnessed so far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Mine works fine. I just followed their instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

ILA wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with their Student ID card (for internet, blackboard, etc.)?

There must be about 100 students I've saw who've managed to lock themselves out in the past few days. If we leave out Registration, its probably the biggest farce I've witnessed so far.

Think I'm missing something here, they've managed to lock themselves out? surely the person who locked themselves out is the only one at fault??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Ms Happy wrote: »
    Think I'm missing something here, they've managed to lock themselves out? surely the person who locked themselves out is the only one at fault??
    Obviously if they form into small groups of fours and have no instructions as to what to do, other than go to the library and then be told to go to the 3rd floor and turn right at the top of the stairs, most herds are bound to be clueless.

This seems to most often results in either bothering other people who've figured it out, or attempting to use a variety of combinations such as the Course Code, their Date of Birth, or their Student ID number without a password.

That said, I managed to figure it out with a little assistance but I think overall it was fairly disorganised and a pretty disappointing. I can only hope they teach Management and Communication skills better than they apply them!

It tells you in the booklet you get at reg exactly how to use the ID card for the computers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

I agree with you on the registration is a pain to do but in terms of the account activation process, Ive always found it simple.

The leaflet you get handed with your student id tells you what to do and once you get to the second floor of the lrc you immediately see a sign pointing to the row of computers to set up your account.
    As for the people locking themselves out it could simply be them forgetting to turn caplocks on/off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Dave D wrote: »
    I agree with you on the registration is a pain to do but in terms of the account activation process, Ive always found it simple.

The leaflet you get handed with your student id tells you what to do and once you get to the second floor of the lrc you immediately see a sign pointing to the row of computers to set up your account.
    As for the people locking themselves out it could simply be them forgetting to turn caplocks on/off.

After doing it, it was fairly simple but I, and I assume many others, didn't get any information at Registration other than the Student Handbook which I skimmed through but didn't see any information. It's not rocket science I know but a good few had problems with it and the IT Services staff were no where to be seen most of the time so anyone sitting on a station near the PIN Terminals (ie: me) got bugged to help.

Most of those who locked themselves out seemed to just try the wrong password, first in caps and then in lower case and eventually they met a wall.

Advertisement