Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vrt six month ownership exemption declined

• 10-09-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Have just tried importing my car from uk. I bought it in January this year, when i lived over there. I moved back in may but didnt bring the car through until now, believing i would avoid paying vrt as i owned the car for over six months at that time.

they checked my pps number and saw I was here since May. Because of this the exemption was declined, based on the fact I myself came back over within the six month period. They said i could appeal but is prob a waste of time.

A little harsh imo. The car was all above board as far as being registered\taxed\insured in the uk, the address it was registered at was mine until import. anyone come across anything similar or had a successful appeal?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I cannot see what the issue is. You simply didn't meet the criteria for an exemption.

Rather black and white but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You were foolish to believe that you met the requirements tbh. You moved back in may. You didnt own the car 6 months when you moved back therefore vrt payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thekingcantona

Grand. I was under the impression it was from date of import. Suppose people could simply buy a car and wait six months if that was the case. F*ck it. €2700 it is then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theres a general tightening up going on with all regulations I think, pertaining to motor vehicles. I don't think you'll have much joy appealling at the moment.

I wonder if i will be able to claim it back once its deemed illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I wonder if i will be able to claim it back once its deemed illegal?

Whens that? Cos it was deemed perfectly legal by the EU so the car will most likely be in Tesco as bean cans long before VRT is deemed illegal.

Whether or not it is abolished in future would also have no bearing as it wouldnt be backdated to any point anyway.

i know i know. its not illegal, just frowned upon by EU. Im just having a moan, esp being 1 mth off being exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a registration tax so it's not illegal, no matter how much we hate it.

Advertisement