Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

desktop has no wireless. ics help!

• 10-09-2010 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

just got internet installed yesterday in the new house.

The cisco router is downstairs. My bedroom is upstairs.

My pc does not have a wireless card in it.

I cannot run an ethernet cable up to it.

I have a laptop with wirelress on it.

Both my laptop and pc have windows 7 ultimate 64bit running.

I have both an ethernet and a crossover cable.

I also have a netgear rangemax wpn824.

how can i get internet on my pc? :p

I use to use internet connection sharing on vista / xp, but i cant seem to find it on windows 7.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You can buy a USB reciver that just plugs in and recives the wireless signal from your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

You can buy a USB reciver that just plugs in and recives the wireless signal from your router.

im a student. i cant afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

im a student. i cant afford it.
    they're not that dear - http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=belkin+wireless+usb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Control panel -> network connections
    Right-click on WiFi adapter and then Properties
    Click on the sharing tab
    Tick "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection".
    Under Home Networking Connection drop-down, chose "Local Area Connection" for the laptops ethernet port.

Then connect the pc to the laptop as you were before and the connection should be shared as long as your PC is setup to receive DCHP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I use to use internet connection sharing on vista / xp, but i cant seem to find it on windows 7.
    click start and type in Internet Connection Sharing. it should come up when it searches.

• Advertisement

when i right click the wireless connection and go to properties, there is no sharing tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've had problems with ICS recently with trying to expand wifi coverage to my room for my iPod Touch. This is on Vista so you may not have the same issues, but if you do.

Try:
    Setting up LAN with laptop and desktop.
    DISABLE ICS.
    In Network Connections select both LAN and Wifi, then right click and bridge.
    You may have to reset IPs but it should all work then.

Are you right clicking on the actual wireless adapter/device

What version of Win 7 are you on? Win 7 Starter?

I've had problems with ICS recently with trying to expand wifi coverage to my room for my iPod Touch. This is on Vista so you may not have the same issues, but if you do.

Try:
    Setting up LAN with laptop and desktop.
    DISABLE ICS.
    In Network Connections select both LAN and Wifi, then right click and bridge.
    You may have to reset IPs but it should all work then.

ill give that a shot now.
    Axwell wrote: »
    Are you right clicking on the actual wireless adapter/device

What version of Win 7 are you on? Win 7 Starter?

win 7 ultimate 64

This thread seems to have a solution based on setting up an adhoc connection and then starting ICS again.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/1037-ad-hoc-internet-connection-sharing.html

Ive listed the steps according to post #6 and #2 in the right order

1) Open Network and Sharing Center
    2) Go to Change Adapter Settings
    3) Find the adapter for the default internet connection (Wireless adapter in your case)
    4) Right click on that -> Cancel as Default Connection
    4) Right click -> Properties -> Sharing tab
    5) Uncheck "Allow other network users to connect ..." if it is not

6. Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center

7. Under Change your networking settings, click Set up a new connection or network

8. Select Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network

9. Enter your Network name, and enter a Security key if wanted

10. Check the box for Save this network and click Turn on Internet connection sharing on next page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

You could try set up a bridge between your cisco router(downstairs) and the netgear one(upstairs). Then just plug your pc into the netgear and bam, your away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You could try set up a bridge between your cisco router(downstairs) and the netgear one(upstairs). Then just plug your pc into the netgear and bam, your away!!
    Without an ethernet cable running to the computer or a Wifi card installed that's your only bet if you don't want to spend anything.

Axwell wrote: »
    This thread seems to have a solution based on setting up an adhoc connection and then starting ICS again.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/1037-ad-hoc-internet-connection-sharing.html

Ive listed the steps according to post #6 and #2 in the right order

1) Open Network and Sharing Center
    2) Go to Change Adapter Settings
    3) Find the adapter for the default internet connection (Wireless adapter in your case)
    4) Right click on that -> Cancel as Default Connection
    4) Right click -> Properties -> Sharing tab
    5) Uncheck "Allow other network users to connect ..." if it is not

6. Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center

7. Under Change your networking settings, click Set up a new connection or network

8. Select Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network

9. Enter your Network name, and enter a Security key if wanted

10. Check the box for Save this network and click Turn on Internet connection sharing on next page

checking this out now! thanks a mill.

Without an ethernet cable running to the computer or a Wifi card installed that's your only bet if you don't want to spend anything.

sadly, my netgear is does not support wifi bridge. only certain router's do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Havent read all of this, but it might allow you to use your netgear as a bridge(Sorry if it doesnt)

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3639271/DD-WRT-Tutorial-3-Building-a-Wireless-Bridge.htm

Havent read all of this, but it might allow you to use your netgear as a bridge(Sorry if it doesnt)

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3639271/DD-WRT-Tutorial-3-Building-a-Wireless-Bridge.htm

cheers billy, but i already did a huge amount of work trying that, and to no avail. sadly there is no dd wrt package that can fit on the 2mb flash that my router has :(

Advertisement