Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB.net guide for Java Programmers?

Options
  • 10-09-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭

Will probably be starting a short term project next week that is being developed in VB.net. I have no experience of visual basic or any .net language. I've written nearly everything I've done to date in java, and also have a bit of C and C++ training.

I've looked but can't find a kind of conversion guide that introduces VB.net for experienced java programmers. In fact I can't find any kind of introduction to VB.net that doesn't also assume that you have no prior programming experience. I'm skimming through an introduction to VB.net book at the moment but it's kind of frustrating having to skip large sections that explain what a variable is etc. Does anybody know of an online guide or e-book that I'd find useful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I don't. But if you're a Java programmer you should work with C# instead of VB. C# is almost identical to Java syntactically and .Net's CLR works in a similar manner to the JVM. I'd go to your boss and explain this to him/her, it makes much more sense for you to work in C#.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

To be honest I'd say coming from a language such as Java you'll have VB.NET picked up after the first day. I find it painfully basic. The worst part was trying to stop myself putting a semi colon after each statement.

I'd go straight to advanced VB.NET tutorials if I were you. I think the hard part will be knowing what to use in .NET. Maybe start with reading/writing to an SQL database and displaying data on a table / datagrid or something.

+1 for what Evil Phil said as well. C# is about 70% java as it is with a few nice extra things too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Application design, class structure etc will be practically identical to how you would do it in Java. If you break the project up into the different coding tasks you'll need to do for e.g. open a local file, query a database, handle button clicks etc etc and look for examples of each you'll pick up the syntax easily enough. Visual Studio's intellisense is very helpful too, and makes it very easy to pick up the syntax and get to know your way around the api.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's an existing project that I'm just being sent to help out on for a few weeks. As far as I know everything to date has been done in VB.net.

By experienced java programmer I didn't mean proper java expert (I am absolutely nowhere near this, yet), just somebody who's comfortable enough doing things in java. To be honest I don't know how much development I will actually be doing, I just wanted to get a headstart over the weekend in case I end up having to go straight in to writing code.

Downloaded the new visual studio, will get that up and running now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

If it is a website you can do a vb.net page and different page in c# in the same project.

c# will be easier but sure you will pick up vb very quickly

• Advertisement
Advertisement