Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give us back Sam Maguire!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

And in the spirit of this video i would like to appeal to all ye Corkonians to get the Cork colours flying high in the next week and we count down to the All Ireland Football Final.

I was in Merchants Quay today and see that they have plenty of the blood and bandages up. Lots of places are well kitted out around the place.

Plenty of the shops down Patrick street still have nothing up - BAD FORM! If you work in any shop mention it to the boss that a lot of people remember the fact that certain shops didn't bother supporting the team!

Get the flags up on the cars too and out the bedroom windows!
    Show the team they have our support.

REBELS ABU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Cork City wore red this week for tomorrow's final, was unexpected but nice I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

SeaFields wrote: »
    Plenty of the shops down Patrick street still have nothing up - BAD FORM!

Why should shops be forced to support a local team? Loads of people have no interest in GAA. Should shops be forced to display colours and support the Cork Badmington Team, or Karate Team? Retailers in the city have it hard enough without having to go out and shell out a few hundred euro on dressing up stores to support the whims of those who are into a particular sport.

I'd expect sports stores, pubs, and the stores owned by the sponsors to come out in support, but that's all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

that songs class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Dean820 wrote: »
    Cork City wore red this week for tomorrow's final, was unexpected but nice I guess.

They'll (GAA footballers) will be wearing white on Sunday with Down donning the yellow & black, just FYI.
    A lot of shops will have a good stock of red (& white) decorations as there have been lots of reasons to decorate in recent years. Other cities like Limerick (for the rugby) & Kilkenny (for the hurling) make a huge effort to decorate the town in support, perhaps Cork is just that bit bigger & it gets diluted. I also think that there is traditionally less interest in football than hurling, even less again in Cork City FC in the city itself.
    I'll be at the match on Sunday & support the footballers/hurlers & Munster rugby. I think the recession has kicked in a bit when it comes to things like hanging flags & match attendances, it is expensive these days to top it all off.

Why should shops be forced to support a local team? Loads of people have no interest in GAA. Should shops be forced to display colours and support the Cork Badmington Team, or Karate Team? Retailers in the city have it hard enough without having to go out and shell out a few hundred euro on dressing up stores to support the whims of those who are into a particular sport.

I'd expect sports stores, pubs, and the stores owned by the sponsors to come out in support, but that's all.

Ah stop. Tis hardly a few hundred euro. And when the Karate and badmington teams get 80k+ people supporting them in a stadium and every pub full in the city for the match then we'll stick up flags for them too.
    They'll (GAA footballers) will be wearing white on Sunday with Down donning the yellow & black, just FYI.
    A lot of shops will have a good stock of red (& white) decorations as there have been lots of reasons to decorate in recent years. Other cities like Limerick (for the rugby) & Kilkenny (for the hurling) make a huge effort to decorate the town in support, perhaps Cork is just that bit bigger & it gets diluted. I also think that there is traditionally less interest in football than hurling, even less again in Cork City FC in the city itself.
    I'll be at the match on Sunday & support the footballers/hurlers & Munster rugby. I think the recession has kicked in a bit when it comes to things like hanging flags & match attendances, it is expensive these days to top it all off.

I'm in Kerry for the weekend and there's a few of the pubs owned by Cork folk and they got there red and white up. Its great to see and a bit sore for Kerry people. :D The local Garda station too has a cork flag up in the window. I think the Gardai in tralee decorate the barracks for the final too but that might only be when its Cork and Kerry. I haven't been over that direction.

Yeah the footballers don't get as much support and thats always been the way but they are our best bet for silverware in the short term future. Hopefully they can finally do it this year.

Ah stop. Tis hardly a few hundred euro. And when the Karate and badmington teams get 80k+ people supporting them in a stadium and every pub full in the city for the match then we'll stick up flags for them too.

Ever managed a shop before? Obviously not. Dressing up any store front surprisingly costs a lot - and this is at a time when most businesses are reducing staff to 3 day weeks in an effort to stay open due to the City's incompetence during the recent roadworks, and constantly increasing business rates. Why should a chemist, or anything that isn't a pub/sports store/sponsor's store be forced by the mob to wear county colours?

You make the point perfectly yourself, pubs are full for the match, they are the ones that should be flying the colours. When the likes of Clarks shoe shop, and Hallmark Jewellers are mobbed for the match, then they can think about dressing up their storefronts.

Seriously though, it's only GAA, if a shop doesn't want to waste money, move on Roy.

We're obviously looking at this from two different perspectives. I can see your point with expenses. I do work in a chemist tho and we have flags that we put up. They only cost a few quid and a few of us (staff) added to it ourselves with a few bits and pieces that we had lying around. Nobody is forcing anyone...its nice to see the support around the place tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ever managed a shop before? Obviously not. Dressing up any store front surprisingly costs a lot - and this is at a time when most businesses are reducing staff to 3 day weeks in an effort to stay open due to the City's incompetence during the recent roadworks, and constantly increasing business rates. Why should a chemist, or anything that isn't a pub/sports store/sponsor's store be forced by the mob to wear county colours?

You make the point perfectly yourself, pubs are full for the match, they are the ones that should be flying the colours. When the likes of Clarks shoe shop, and Hallmark Jewellers are mobbed for the match, then they can think about dressing up their storefronts.

Seriously though, it's only GAA, if a shop doesn't want to waste money, move on Roy.

I suppose if we got to the World Cup final you would come out with some kind of crap like.... Seriously though, it's only FAI, if a shop doesn't want to waste money, move on Roy

• Advertisement

Probably!

Plenty of the shops down Patrick street still have nothing up - BAD FORM! If you work in any shop mention it to the boss that a lot of people remember the fact that certain shops didn't bother supporting the team!

If the boss is any way not retarded he will know that the vast majority of people couldn't give a f*ck if the local videoshop, butchers, newsagents, chemist, petrol station etc "didn't bother supporting the team" by having "nothing up".

That Give us back Sam Maguire tune is awful too, just heard the chap involved on RedFm, apparently the song, Day for the Beach received great feedback and would be ideal to be released as a single only for the summer being over. Thank f&ck the summer is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just wondering, where would be a good place to watch the match on Sunday in the city centre? I dont want anything too packed,I want to be able to sit down and see the screen,but id like a bit of atmosphere too.

As a fanatical Limerick football supporter il definately be rooting for Cork on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,537 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Come on the Rebels - top song it needs to be No. 1 in Irish charts this weekend if its released

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

panda100 wrote: »
    Just wondering, where would be a good place to watch the match on Sunday in the city centre? I dont want anything too packed,I want to be able to sit down and see the screen,but id like a bit of atmosphere too.

As a fanatical Limerick football supporter il definately be rooting for Cork on Sunday.

Any suggestions folks? Looking for suggestions also on where to watch the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Any suggestions folks? Looking for suggestions also on where to watch the match.

If you get to the Old Oak early enough you can squirel yourself away in a seat by the back of the bar - near the entrance oposite Scotts. I would stay away from the likes of Larry Tompkins, Mulligans and any other real GAA bars, they will have the best atmostphere but they will be too packed.

The back part of Costigans down the steps is good too, again, get there early.

You could try Counihans too, get yourself a seat at the bar in the side bar on the right as you go in.

If everything goes horribly wrong and you can't find anywhere to go and everywhere else is packed, try Scotts. I use Scotts as a pub of last resort for 6 nation matches - you will always get a spot, get served and there is always some atmostphere there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thanks Murphy M for that!

I walked passed the Welcome Inn on semi final day and the place was mental in there. Thinking now of maybe heading there nice+early.

Edit: Actually got a better place to watch the match on Sunday now, Lower tier Hogan stand to be precise :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,537 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone know how I can download this song or if its possible?

The DJs facebook page, f knows why anyone would want to though :P

Advertisement