Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple of plant questions!

Options
  • 10-09-2010 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've got an indoor orchid which has now fully flowered, but the flowers are now beginning to drop off. :( Will it bud and flower again? I've been following the advice and feeding with Baby Bio every couple of weeks.

Secondly - I bought some hyacinth bulbs which I'd like to plant indoors and have flower in time for Christmas. When would be a good time to plant? I plan to put the planter in the window which gets quite a lot of sun.

Sorry, but I'm quite clueless when it come to plants, but I like to try!:o

TIA for any advice/ pointers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes your orchid will flower again, just keep it in similar conditions to what you have been (though I am convinced they need more water than they tell you). It should send up another shoot - or two - with flowers. They are one houseplant that can flower better the second time than the first. They seem to do 1 - 2 flowering periods a year.

Bulbs can be put into bulb compost in a bowl with no drainage hole - so you have to be careful not to overwater them. Leave just the top of the bulb showing. You can put the bulbs in pretty close, almost touching. Then put it in a cool, dark place for a few weeks until you see a good shoot of green at the top, and bring it out to let it grow on and flower. Hyacinth bulbs have to be 'prepared' to flower for Christmas, so check the packaging. If they are not prepared they will still flower, but it will be after christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh, thanks very much Looksee!:)

One more question if I may...I've just looked at the bulbs. They're in a plastic bag, so they're not 'prepped'. Can I just plant up as you've suggested, or should I let the bulbs 'air' a bit before planting. I can put the bulbs in my airing cupboard, as it's nice and dark in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The airing cupboard would be too warm, they need to be cool for a while. I doubt the bulbs are in an airtight plastic bag, but no, you can just plant them.

Advertisement