Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog acting strange

Options
  • 10-09-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all.

My dog seems to be acting strange recently. He's about 7 years old. He is whining a lot and generally acting strange.

I think the dog that lives in a nearby house is in heat and that my dog is mad to get to this dog.

I wont let him out of the back garden for this reason, as recently I have let him out and run around, but twice in the a week he didnt return until the following morning and even lately he wandered off about 2 miles to my parents home where a dog in that area is in heat also.

Would getting him neutered calm him down? Or is this a bad thing at his age?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I'd say you better ask your vet. I wouldn't consider 7 old for a dog, not these days anyway because most people really look after their dogs nutrition & excercise.

Getting him the snip would stop him looking to go after a bitch in heat.

Best to leave him in though, he get hit by a car, stolen etc so it's not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are plenty of threads here about roaming dogs, so I won't bother lecturing you on that, but yes, get him the snip. He's never too old for it. It will stop him wandering down the road looking for bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Pdully wrote: »

Would getting him neutered calm him down? Or is this a bad thing at his age?

thanks.
    No its not a bad thing at his age (7 isnt old) and will stop his urge to go chasin females :p thats all. It wont turn him into a different dog just stop his hormones rulin his head. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Getting the snip can also help prevent prostate cancer. worth checking out and he's not too old!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pdully

thanks people. I've been debating it for a while (getting the snip for the dog - the poor fecker).

how much would it cost does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I paid €110 (I think) but if you are on social welfare you cn get it done for €20 through dogs trust. It also depends on the weight of the dog. I have a small dog but think my vet is expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I got my Springer this time last year when he was 7 and a week after I got him he was taken to the vet for the snip and he came through it absolutely fine. In fact he was much calmer and happier afterwards, so in my opinion 7 is not a problem.

Advertisement