Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag List - How long before house is ready???

Options
  • 10-09-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

So the story is, we have purchased and the snag list was done last week end, the builder was dealing with my OH on this - and he kept pushing for it to be done - its now a week later and the only correspondance with the builder was a text to say he recieved the snag list last Monday - realisitically how long will it take them to finish off the items on the snag - there were 4 main items, all minor except for landscaping the gardens........
    Im just trying to organise delivery days for beds, sofa's etc and I have no idea how long it will take! Any help appreciated? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 angelarm

we bought our house a few years ago and we did the snag list gave it to the builders and paid the money for house when we had all signed off that the snag list was done have you paid all the money??

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Oh god no we haven't paid any of the money yet except the deposit. Im just trying to figure out when the builder will have the work done.........
    It just feels like its been dragging on for months now! I just want to get in there!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Amy2010

Once you've paid your deposit and you've a snag done before signing a contract. A contract is a commitment of buying a property. Its all down to a builder on how long...it varies between builders? You should have your solicitor to get a definite timescale and be careful about signing a contract before you have a snag done, the builder could go burst or very slow to get snag done? Get your advice from a solicitor. You could try to put a time limit, if a snag is not done with a agreed time and you can withdraw your interest and get your deposit back. No builder nowadays want that...they'll cooperate.

That is what I did. I've a deposit down for an apartment in 2007 and was told it'll be ready in 4 weeks. But, it them took 6 months to complete a snag so I've pulled out after 5 months. I did not have a contract so I can pull out and got my deposit back...this is affordable housing with SDCC. This is a different set up in 2007 whereas I've pulled out and got my deposit back.

Now, I've bought a nice house in a open market (not affordable housing) last year and I was firm with my intentions. Got a house snag after paying a deposit and I've signed a contract done with a advice from a solicitor. I have snag done as agreed is two months and have my kitchen installed for free as part of a contract. Re-check a snag before close of sale.

Thanks a million, I've just emailed our solicitor who says they will handle it now and get a completion date etc.
    I wouldn't have a clue what to do!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its a "how long is a piece of string" question. We have no idea what is on the snag list ("excavate and replace drainage"?), not the availability of the required skills to the developer.
    Goldenlady wrote: »
    we haven't paid any of the money yet except the deposit.
    have you signed a contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭mckildare

Goldenlady wrote: »
    So the story is, we have purchased and the snag list was done last week end, the builder was dealing with my OH on this - and he kept pushing for it to be done - its now a week later and the only correspondance with the builder was a text to say he recieved the snag list last Monday - realisitically how long will it take them to finish off the items on the snag - there were 4 main items, all minor except for landscaping the gardens........
    Im just trying to organise delivery days for beds, sofa's etc and I have no idea how long it will take! Any help appreciated? :)

Only 4 items on the list?! Must be some very precise builders these days...

It shouldn't take him too long but easiest is to ring and ask or as you said, get your solicitor onto it. Good luck with the move in

Thanks guys.

No the list was quite long, but our snag man advised that there were 4 main issues that had to be addressed, the rest were merely cosmetic issues.

Ive contacted our solicitor now, Im letting him deal with it as I don't want to deal directly with the builder, as Ive said he is not a nice man!

My OH visited the house on Saturday last (We kept the key the auctioneer gave us weeks ago - :eek:) and the snag list was printed on the top of the stair and in bir writing on it was written "F**K OFF* and then arrows to the snag mans details saying "W**KER", childish or what, so I said to my OH we will leave it with the solicitors now........... he shouldnt have been in the house any way so we are going to just leave than incident go by!:D

Advertisement