Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bibbed Vs Non bibbed shorts

• 10-09-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭

any differences that affect comfort and cycle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Only difference I can think of is that you may need braces of some sort to keep non bib shorts up.... at least thats what I used to do....!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bibs stay up shorts dont ( on me anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Another vote for bibs, they stay where they're supposed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

The bib shorts stop your lower back depending on the weather getting sunburnt or cold .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

bib shorts prevent builders bum :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

It's difficult to look like a Bulgarian wrestler in anything other then bibs! :D

Velo Bro!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

B I B S

Belly In Bicycle Shorts

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Half shorts are evil and must die.

This is why, according to Competitive Cyclist (champion turd polishers) half-shorts only "make up about 10% of [Assos] short sales".

I use half shorts on the turbo, leaving my glistening stick like torso open to the air, but they should not be seen in public, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

All being said - much easier to have a wizz in half shorts though... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I misread that as...
    Lumen wrote: »
    I use half shorts on the turbo, leaving my glistening stick - open to the air

where's the mind bleach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Think that may depend on how much Belly Bibs are holding in:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have no problem with (decent) non-bib shorts staying up. Maybe I would have a Pauline moment (that's Damascus rather than Fowler) if I tried the bibs but so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

I have no problem with (decent) non-bib shorts staying up. Maybe I would have a Pauline moment (that's Damascus rather than Fowler) if I tried the bibs but so far so good.

Same as that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Bibs please!

I was just behind some guy who kept jumping me at the lights. 3 times I passed him, and 3 times I got a face full of crack from his poorly adjusted shorts. It's just not fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Don;t be such a sexist Mr Voodoo!!! If it was a hot chick with buns of steel you might not have gone around at all????????

Velo Bro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Velo Bro wrote: »
    Don;t be such a sexist Mr Voodoo!!! If it was a hot chick with buns of steel you might not have gone around at all????????

Velo Bro!

I have sat on ladies wheels before, sometimes it's important not to over exert yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Autumn last year I was using standard shorts (Team Lidl) and went shopping for tights. I was looking for 3/4 length standard but they were hard to find so I ended up getting bibs. Glad I did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Who's Pauline Damascus??? Does she wear bibshorts.???

She plays rugby actually. Famous for the Pauline Conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Ah. I know who you mean. She played for Corinthians didn't she.??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Non-bibs all the way for me. Just gave my Giordana bibs a second spin at lunchtime and my b*lls are only just returning to normal and my nipples are peeling. (can't find the right smilie here)

I'm just under 6' 3" and I can never find a pair to fit - the XXL Giordanas were returned, and these are XXXL and still giving me a wedgie. I'll stick to my non-bibbed shorts, thanks all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I've just recently bought a pair of bib shorts.
    I find them more comfortable than non-bibs where there's an elastic band digging into your waist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    All being said - much easier to have a wizz in half shorts though... ;)
    If you are male it really makes little odds. I have comfortable non-bib shorts that I have done long cycles in (including my first Wicklow 200) and they do stay up, they don't dig into my waist particularly much and are generally fine- but bibs are much more comfortable. I was a little wary of them at first due to the 'wrestler' look but they go under your jersey and I would advise anyone who only has non-bib shorts to give them a go. It is true that sizing is more tricky; height is the defining characteristic with bibs and I have had Italian bibs that fitted fine around the waist but crushed my testicles and bent my neck. If you get the fit right though they are a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

blorg wrote: »
    It is true that sizing is more tricky; height is the defining characteristic with bibs and I have had Italian bibs that fitted fine around the waist but crushed my testicles and bent my neck. If you get the fit right though they are a winner.

I've tried a couple of brands now with no joy. The Giordana XXXL is loose around the waist but still "crushes my testicles and bends my neck", I don't even think they do XXXXL!

I think that's it for me.

I got a pair of enduras the other day. I was a clear medium based on chest and waist measurements. They seem a bit tight over the shoulders and at 5'11'', I suspect might be a bit on the tall side. I'll reserve judgement till I take them for a spin but a height guide would have been handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've tried a couple of brands now with no joy. The Giordana XXXL is loose around the waist but still "crushes my testicles and bends my neck", I don't even think they do XXXXL!

I think that's it for me.
    Have you tried non-Italian brands? Italian shorts just don't fit me at all. Whar height are you? The likes of Wiggle's dhb are sized very big height wise and cheap to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭fiacha

Biopace wrote: »
    B I B S

Belly In Bicycle Shorts

;)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I got a pair of enduras the other day. I was a clear medium based on chest and waist measurements. They seem a bit tight over the shoulders and at 5'11'', I suspect might be a bit on the tall side. I'll reserve judgement till I take them for a spin but a height guide would have been handy.

My XL Endura shorts are too long on the straps (had to take them up) but a bit tight on the thighs. OTOH, the XL 3/4 tights are pretty much fine (though maybe a bit long in the leg...

Advertisement