Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Content Protection/Tracing

Options
  • 10-09-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Was curious if people have a preferred method of tracing websites that copy their content.

I'm a while away from launching an information based that is not being catered for in a certain market area but I'm trying to be well prepared to protect this content once the site launches. I've interviewed people in the target market and am predicting that the content and ideas behind it could become prey to others wanting to copy it because these people always say this sort of site is badly needed.

I'd be trying to track the site text content and free PDF downloads (probably impossible to prevent distribution of these though I suppose). I know the images can be somewhat protected through cPanel hotlink protection so not as concerned about them.

I've so far come across CopyScape, CopyGator, CopyRightSpot and FairShare but was curious if anyone who has been through checking on their content being copied could recommend what to use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

One method I use on some sites is have a .htaccess file with a tonne of rules for known malcontents - the one I use is from Augusto at Spanish SEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've a Google alert set up for the main keywords for a blog I used to have, every so often Google reader will pop up a new page on the subject, with familiar looking text. It's not intended to be a method of catching duplication, but it help sometimes.

To catch content being cut and pasted, have a look at Tynt, I think it'll track what's been copied from your site, though you'd still need to find out where it's been used. And it probably won't help with scraping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

http://www.copyscape.com/

not really a lot you can do about it tbh.

Advertisement