Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting college on Monday, do I have to inform dole office or will they know?

• 10-09-2010 1:36pm

Hey there,

just been trying to ring the local dole office for the last while but I can't get through. I'll be starting college on Monday, and so my benefits shall be ending. I'm wondering do I have to tell them this or will they automatically only pay me for half a week?
    I'm not going to be able to collect the full dole on Wednesday anyway because I'll end up owing them back any extra that I wasn't due.

I'll try ringing them again in a bit, and will prob go in on Monday if I can't get through, but it'd be nice to have some confirmation.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Davexirl

If you are starting college full time then you have to sign off, you can sign off on http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/localoffice.aspx click on your local office and sign off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If they overpay you, you will be asked to pay them back a certain amount by chq or bank draft.
    When you do KEEP THE RECEIPT! They will lose all record that you repaid them.

How long does this normally take to go through? I've had my claim closed (i.e I used the online form) since last Friday and today received the full amount. Now I'm not sure if this is a week owed or what the story is but I'm incredibly weary about having to pay them back money and so can't spend any of it anyway.

Is there a way to check my claim's status online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    How long does this normally take to go through? I've had my claim closed (i.e I used the online form) since last Friday and today received the full amount. Now I'm not sure if this is a week owed or what the story is but I'm incredibly weary about having to pay them back money and so can't spend any of it anyway.

Is there a way to check my claim's status online?

dont spend it because you weren't entitled to the full week. you can't check online, just phone them up. they will send you a notice of the amount you need to repay.

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    dont spend it because you weren't entitled to the full week. you can't check online, just phone them up. they will send you a notice of the amount you need to repay.

Yeah I'll just have to go in on Monday. Don't think they're even answering the phones in the office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭urban cowboy

I too am going back to college next week. I let the social welfare know when I was starting back the last time I had to sign on.
    I got stung last year when I claimed for a week that I shouldn't have:eek:. Even though I start back on a Monday I am still entitled to 2 days worth of payments. I explained this and told them that I wouldn't be able to collect the 2 days worth of payments as I would be away in college. The clerk said no problem and that they would send out the payment in the post:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

How is the switch-over working? Like, if ya close off your jobseeker's, when starting off on Back-to-education can they not just rectify what you're owed from Js there and then and pay the first week of bte that way?? Sounds a bit un-necessarily complicated to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wa

I started college on Friday. I went into the dole office and explained to them that I'm applying for BTEA. They said to keep claiming my jobseeker's until I get a letter confirming that I've been accepted for BTEA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭urban cowboy

How is the switch-over working? Like, if ya close off your jobseeker's, when starting off on Back-to-education can they not just rectify what you're owed from Js there and then and pay the first week of bte that way?? Sounds a bit un-necessarily complicated to me.

Unfortunately I can't claim BTE but can claim JB during summer months. So in my case there is no switch-over just JB being stopped when I start back to college

Advertisement