Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options
  • 10-09-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Just thought this might be of interest to people, CSO will be recruiting for 440 Census Field Supervisors from September 16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS – to be eligible for consideration candidates must have proven experience of staff management preferably in an off-site capacity and the organisation of work for groups of up to ten people in the recent past, i.e. within the past five years have proven experience of working to tight deadlines and achieving well defined outputs have proven experience of organising and delivering training programmes be computer literate and be familiar with basic Microsoft packages

Proven experience of staff management "of-site"
    (does this rule out ex-construction employees)

Proven experience of organising and delivering training programmes

Is it not like a Door-to-Door filling out a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I dont know the ins and outs of it to be honest, I just spotted it earlier on on while searching online. The advertised roles are for Field Supervisors, so I can only assume that you would be supervising and managing a team of people in your own area, co-ordinating their training, and organising your team. I am not sure what the proper title for those who go door-to-door collecting surveys, but I would image that supervisor means supervising this group of people.

That is my two-cents on it anyhow - I could be completed wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Enumerators are the people who drop the forms off. I imagine these will be recruited at a later stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

This could be a nice little number for six months. But Im wondering, there are 440 areas to be supervised across the country. Im thinking that if you apply in an area where they've had the same person doing these censuses for years then you probably don't have a chance.

I wonder are you allowed to apply for a number of areas provided you're willing to travel to them?
    Also I noted there doesn't seem to be anything about milage allowance though they do expect you to have your own car....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I might apply to this for the sake of it. What is the story, do you need to have managerial experience or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Enumerators are the people who drop the forms off. I imagine these will be recruited at a later stage.
    The final phase of the recruitment for the census will be for the 5,000 census enumerators who will work for 10 weeks beginning on the 8th March. Advertisements for these positions will be advertised on the 29th December.

;)

Denerick wrote: »
    I might apply to this for the sake of it. What is the story, do you need to have managerial experience or something?

Yup and cant be from on-site experience has to be off-site experience which I gather means not from a construction background :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

eire2009 wrote: »
    Yup and cant be from on-site experience has to be off-site experience which I gather means not from a construction background :mad:

I wonder could you make up some?

For example, my auntie used to run a mushroom farm. Could I claim that I did the 'office management' for her farm and get her to lie?

I realise it is fraud but I'm pretty desperate here...

Denerick wrote: »
    I wonder could you make up some?

For example, my auntie used to run a mushroom farm. Could I claim that I did the 'office management' for her farm and get her to lie?

I realise it is fraud but I'm pretty desperate here...

Yup, its all about how you sound for instance

A: "I sell drugs mostly :cool:"

B: "I'm involved in the importation and distribution of pharmaceuticals :)"

With A I feel like a gangsta and should be locked up with B I feel like im wearing a suit and couldn't possibly be doing anything illegal.

I would say was involved in the management of stock records, employee structure and oraganisation on a fungus farm. I was also involved in the decision making and structure of the enterprise researching different fungicide and harvesting methods. I only left as I had to relocate to a more rural area for personal reasons.

You could have been growing magic mushrooms on a large scale and selling them to minors and you'd still sound good..

They left out where one Interviewer asks Dale " I see here you manage a football team, whats that a lil league team or something"
    Dale " No its a fantasy football team " lol classic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I dunno? I took that to mean you wouldn't be managing a team who were all together in one place - they would all be located in their own areas "off site".

• Advertisement

cAr0l wrote: »
    I dunno? I took that to mean you wouldn't be managing a team who were all together in one place - they would all be located in their own areas "off site".

I dunno sounds like there looking for ex-door to door sales supervisors and nothing else if even .. Some muppet in the hr department who hasnt got any experience themselves has over qualified the job and dosnt really know what they are talking about themselves :rolleyes:.. If its the public sector as I know it they'd give you the supervisor role if you couldn't do anything else lol ..

No offence to public sector workers just from my experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

RATM wrote: »
    This could be a nice little number for six months. But Im wondering, there are 440 areas to be supervised across the country. Im thinking that if you apply in an area where they've had the same person doing these censuses for years then you probably don't have a chance.

I wonder are you allowed to apply for a number of areas provided you're willing to travel to them?
    Also I noted there doesn't seem to be anything about milage allowance though they do expect you to have your own car....

I would imagine that they will be interviewing roughly 1,000 from the applicants with a good geographical spread, including those who have filled this role previously. You are not asked to specify a particular location, so I'm assuming that you will be considered for locations close to you (it would be totally impractical to be trying to manage a field team from a distance). People who have satisfactorily done this job previously will obviously have a head start so there may be 200 at most jobs available.

Although it doesn't specifically say it, mileage will be paid I'm sure, was for the 6 senior jobs anyway.

The 'off-site' simply means that you have experience in managing people that aren't based in your work location.

To the mushroom farmer, not sure about lying about one's managerial experience on the application form, you will want to be a good liar at the interview, and have good liars as referees as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I think they pay a small allowance for mileage.

I'm applying - with my construction background. On the basis that firstly they are looking for management - which I've done. Secondly they want you to be able to run a team - which I've done. Thirdly, they want you to be able manage remotely - ie, not from a head office, with someone backing you up and not with a team working directly underneath you in the same building - which I've done.

The only issue I'd have is with interviewing people, which I've no experience of.
    However they do give an evaluation form that you have to fill out as part of your application, asking what you are and aren't comfortable doing, so I said no to the "are you comfortable doing interview and selecting people"

Bottom line - the worse they can say is no, so what the hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

Some muppet in the hr department who hasnt got any experience themselves has over qualified the job and dosnt really know what they are talking about themselves
    Yes, because asking for management experience for a management & supervisory role is completely unreasonable :rolleyes:

The enumerators are the ones doing the door to door work, and these roles are to manage their work, organise the logistics, monitor the response rates they get, deal with any problem respondants, deal with enumerator underperformance, etc.

The description mentions that you will be managing a remote team, and expresses a preference for you having done that before, but doesn't rule out people with more traditional management experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Off-site does indeed mean a team who aren't all in the same place, rather than anything to do with the construction industry. It is kind of niche experience, but keep in mind that the CSO run lots of household-type surveys, all with field supervisors, and so there are a lot of people out there with that type of experience (in addition to those who, say, deliver phonebooks or sell insurance on the doorstep!).

As regards the work, in addition to the management of the enumerators, you're also called in when households refuse/are unable to fill out the Census form so there's a lot of dealing with agitated folks to be going on with, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

dan_d wrote: »
    I think they pay a small allowance for mileage.

I'm applying - with my construction background. On the basis that firstly they are looking for management - which I've done. Secondly they want you to be able to run a team - which I've done. Thirdly, they want you to be able manage remotely - ie, not from a head office, with someone backing you up and not with a team working directly underneath you in the same building - which I've done.

The only issue I'd have is with interviewing people, which I've no experience of.
    However they do give an evaluation form that you have to fill out as part of your application, asking what you are and aren't comfortable doing, so I said no to the "are you comfortable doing interview and selecting people"

Bottom line - the worse they can say is no, so what the hell.

Bit surprised that you were involved in construction management and had no experience of recruitment. Would imagine that this is a fairly important part of the job, although you would probably be doing it with your supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gerard G

Just wondering if anyone has any updates on these jobs - have they been filled ? have people been called for interviews ?
    Applied and heard nothing to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Gerard G wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any updates on these jobs - have they been filled ? have people been called for interviews ?
    Applied and heard nothing to date.

Hi, like Gerard, I'm dying to know if the recruitment process has reached the interview stage yet. Well qualified for this role and would like to know if the process has moved on to interview stage yet. One's geographical location is going to be a big issue. In my case, I'm rural so that means that already your chances are diminished. Unlike Donie Cassidy & Fianna Fail's understanding of property booms, this time demography IS important :D

The senior appointees only took up their positions in the second week in October I think, so this will probably be their first task after training. The selection process (interviews etc) will start sometime in November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Haven't heard a sound.

And to the poster who questioned my last post, ages ago...I wasn't in the construction business long enough to work up to a level where I'd be recruiting!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bertieb53

Just been called for an interview - the selection has started !!!
    Has anybody done this type of work before for the cso???
    any interview tips ????

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seanie63

Ive also been called for an interview next week. Would be interested to hear from others in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Toyota1968

just been called aswell - did anyone take a copy of the job description at the time ? - just went on the website to look for it and its gone !!!!

Help !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Toyota1968 wrote: »
    just been called aswell - did anyone take a copy of the job description at the time ? - just went on the website to look for it and its gone !!!!

Help !!!!

I saved the Candidate Information Booklet in Pdf - PM me your email and I'll send it to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

My good lady was called as well...she was delighted but its starting to sound like everyone who applied has been called.

I may keep this to myself.

My good lady was called as well...she was delighted but its starting to sound like everyone who applied has been called.

I may keep this to myself.

Well, there are 440 jobs to be filled around the country, so that's the minimum number that will be called ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 narky

I was called myself, but I know a couple of people who got the rejection letter.
    Domscard wrote: »
    I saved the Candidate Information Booklet in Pdf - PM me your email and I'll send it to you :)

I never saved the info myself :o, could I PM you and get a copy of the document you have, please!!

narky wrote: »

I never saved the info myself :o, could I PM you and get a copy of the document you have, please!!

No bother - PM me and the same goes for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seanie63

I am currently studying the content of this Information Booklet, does anybody think we will be questioned on the content as part of the Interview?

• Advertisement

seanie63 wrote: »
    I am currently studying the content of this Information Booklet, does anybody think we will be questioned on the content as part of the Interview?
    I imagine we would need to be familiar with the content, but I doubt if we'd be expected to know it word for word :)
    When is your interview? Maybe those who have earlier interviews than others might share what they were asked?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement