Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Letter in the Post today

Interview the 2/02/2011

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 oisim

Hi, can anyone help me please!!!

i have interview monday for cenus enumerator position. has anyone any done this interview before that could give me sample questions they ask?/

thank you

also i am new to this have never messaged before so any helf much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi there, I'd recommend you spend a bit of time reading the thread, and there should be some tips. Here's one recent post that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

oisim wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone help me please!!!

i have interview monday for cenus enumerator position. has anyone any done this interview before that could give me sample questions they ask?/

thank you

also i am new to this have never messaged before so any helf much appreciated :)

As Eoin pointed out, read my post and if you have anymore questions, just ask me on here.
    But another thing that I would recommend is to show that you have an outgoing persona, that you have no problem talking to strangers and you can also show that you are helpful.
    Also it is imperative that you understand that the information that you do collect is strictly private. I remember a few enumerators called Liveline about people's houses and issues that they came across whilst out doing the work and that wasn't seen in good light by the CSO. So if asked about privacy issues, it would be good to let the supervisor know that you understand how private the details are etc.

Best of luck Oisim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Autobot17

Dinging wrote: »
    Received a letter confirming interview for Monday next. Latter clearly states that the time of the interview is set and cannot be moved. Thing is I will be travelling back from London Monday morning. I reckon I will be about an 1 hour late for the interview. Other half says I should just turn up and explain or should I let them know in advance and see what is said or should I just forget about it and not turn up at all.

Don't just turn up late. Anyone. Interviews are being held all day long and every day will have been booked out. Cancellations, while possible, would be very rare. You would be arriving while others are being interviewed and that wouldn't be fair (or helpful to your chances). There is an intensive two-week interview period and this requires careful scheduling, so turning up late is pointless.

While the letter states that interviews can't be rescheduled, I do think that if you have absolutely no way of travelling back on the Sunday evening they may try to help you out. Call them and check. But saying that, scheduling has taken place and it's hard to facilitate people on other times (hence the no interview date/time change notice on the letter). Have you absolutely no way of being back on the Sunday evening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Weird question this but do you think they'll accept my drivers licence instead of my passport? My passport is currently stalled in the passport office and looks like it won't make it out in time for the interview. I suppose if it's really necessary I could look for my birth cert but I haven't a clue where it is.

Oh and another thing, what sort of clothing should I be wearing for in the interview?? I think a suit would be far too formal for the type of the job it is? Would slacks and a shirt/jumper be the right option?

Edit: Just realised I can go Birth Cert Office tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 emmarich

I applied on Jan 5th was ID number twenty thousand and something and not heard yet, just wondering if I should stop hoping to be called at this stage??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

Weird question this but do you think they'll accept my drivers licence instead of my passport?

Your drivers licence won't do, because it doesn't verify that you are an EU citizen. Bring the birth cert along too, and you should be covered.

I think a suit would be far too formal for the type of the job it is?

The "type of job it is" is to be the public face of the CSO, so no, I wouldn't think a jumper is appropriate.
    Wear the suit and show you're taking it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I got my letter this morning - interview Jan 31st, Dublin 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I got my letter this morning - interview Jan 31st, Dublin 18.

Whereabouts? I'm near D18 but I haven't recieved a letter yet. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Whereabouts? I'm near D18 but I haven't recieved a letter yet. :(

Bewley's Hotel, Leopardstown. Don't worry, it's only a matter of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

have my interview bright and early on Monday up in Bewleys Leopardstown too, fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gallimh girl

Got my letter in the post today :)

Got my letter in the post today :)

Ditto. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I got an interview for next Friday but my problem is that I'm currently in Germany until the end of February and I have exams for the entirety of February so I really don't have time to return to Ireland so obviously I can't go to the interview. I emailed asking is there a possibility for a phone or internet interview. But judging on what other people have said about even getting a different time for the interview it looks like I won't have much luck...

Oh well, it would've been good but my exams have to come first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Got letter today - Wicklow :)

Can't find any info on Job seekers benefit and doing this job...?

Surely you would not be able to keep job seekers benefit?? Be great if you could though!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Just wondering, does anyone know how many houses you are allocated while working as an enumerator?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

fonzy157 wrote: »
    Just wondering, does anyone know how many houses you are allocated while working as an enumerator?
    Thanks.

400, I think.

fonzy157 wrote: »
    Thanks.

From the area I did, there were about 10 of us and we had between 300 & 400 house/apartments to do. I had one large block of apartments with about 200 in it. I worked with the management company & got a key for the front doors, if I needed it. But I mainly used the buzzers outside & the majority of people came down to the door & dealt with me there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 oisim

Thank you very much for your help. Interview 9.30 am will keep up posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

emmarich wrote: »
    I applied on Jan 5th was ID number twenty thousand and something and not heard yet, just wondering if I should stop hoping to be called at this stage??

As far as I know everyone is getting interviewed so if you dont get a letter next week, I'd ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Spanish J

May seem a silly question but no harm in asking. I have an interview during the week and was just wondering what to wear. In all interviews I have had to attend in the past I wore a suit. I said this the other day to my housemates and they reckoned I would be overdressed. What would be most suitable do ye reckon? A suit or maybe just a suit pants and shirt and tie? Thanks

Regarding what to wear for the job, I would recommend a suit. I was interviewed in a suit 5 years ago & got the job. And most of the people that were waiting for interviews were dressed in suits. You certainly won't get points marked off for wearing a suit. But no it is not a job that you will have to wear a suit in, but still it is nice for the interviewers to see that you made an effort with your appearance. If you don't have a suit, certainly trousers/skirt and blouse/shirt. No jeans or track suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Spanish J

Cheers Robo, was going to go with the suit initially so im happy with that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Can anyone confirm what qualifies as secure storage for the forms? Is a spare room with a lock on sufficient? Or a code locked briefcase?

Interview on Wednesday and want to be well prepared. Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bugsie2011

Siobh73 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm what qualifies as secure storage for the forms? Is a spare room with a lock on sufficient? Or a code locked briefcase?

Interview on Wednesday and want to be well prepared. Many thanks!

Secure storage would be a room that can be locked where the 2 boxes of census forms and stuff can be kept safe and confidential. A briefcase would not suitable or even remotely big enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Monife wrote: »
    As far as I know everyone is getting interviewed so if you dont get a letter next week, I'd ring them.

I've heard this as well, so my chances of getting the job are actually quite slim? Feckers.

Denerick wrote: »
    I've heard this as well, so my chances of getting the job are actually quite slim? Feckers.

No you have a 1 in 3 chance as far as I know. They accepted 15,000 applications for 5,000 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Has any1 been for an interview yet ?
    I've mine this Fri coming. Does any1 know how far away from home they can send you ? If your lucky enough to get past the interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Just finished my interview there. Went well apart from the fact I forgot to fill my DOB out on the vetting form :rolleyes:

The were two interviewers both were very polite and down to earth. They asked questions such as:

What motivates you?
    What do you think the census is about?
    Can you read a map (displayed a local map)
    Any fear of dogs other animals?
    If you were offered employment between now and March would you still complete the census?
    Why have you applied for this position; is it for the money?

That's just a few off the top of my head. They were very nice people and the environment albeit formal was very relaxed.

Goodluck to you all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement