Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Smcgie wrote: »
    Just finished my interview there. Went well apart from the fact I forgot to fill my DOB out on the vetting form :rolleyes:

The were two interviewers both were very polite and down to earth. They asked questions such as:

What motivates you?
    What do you think the census is about?
    Can you read a map (displayed a local map)
    Any fear of dogs other animals?
    If you were offered employment between now and March would you still complete the census?
    Why have you applied for this position; is it for the money?

That's just a few off the top of my head. They were very nice people and the environment albeit formal was very relaxed.

Goodluck to you all.

Very kind of you Smcgie to share this with us, and so soon. Best of luck to you, from the sounds of it you'd be well suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CaseyBabes

Thanks so much Smcgie. I'm in for interview tomorrow morn, great to get your feedback. Just a couple of quick questions - should I bring along a cv? How detailed was the map? And would anyone know if I should fill out addresses I've lived at abroad on the vetting form??

Thanks and good luck to everyone interviewing, I'll post anything useful I can think of after mine tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Had my interview this morning too.
    Just went through my cv, asked a lot of questions about my past employment, experience dealing with the public, map reading skills, my understanding of the job.
    Think it went well over all, I'm glad I dressed up for it, the majority of people were in suits etc ;)
    Good luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Do they actually test your map reading skills in any detail?

Thanks so much to everyone who has given us an idea of what to expect. Hope you all get it. :)

Do they actually test your map reading skills in any detail?

Thanks so much to everyone who has given us an idea of what to expect. Hope you all get it. :)
    they didn't even have me look at a map, just asked if I could as some women aren't great at it, (and i explained that I could, that I studied surveying at college and I know the area very well having lived here a long time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

Do yo have to bring a cv with you??

Do yo have to bring a cv with you??
    no, they go through all the details you gave while applying...which is basically whats on my cv, no need to bring it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

sickle wrote: »
    they didn't even have me look at a map, just asked if I could as some women aren't great at it, (and i explained that I could, that I studied surveying at college and I know the area very well having lived here a long time)

Did they actually say this? Lol.

Did they actually say this? Lol.

yes, but i didn't take offence :D

It could have been phrased better (it was even a woman that asked),but I was their 1st interviewee so I'll forgive em ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Were you interviewed by this pair? :pac:

Andy+Gray+Richard+Keys.jpg

They have just been suspended by Sky for saying a female assistant referee didn't know the offside rule.

Can't believe they actually said that in an interview!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

CaseyBabes wrote: »
    And would anyone know if I should fill out addresses I've lived at abroad on the vetting form??

Yes, its all addresses, home and abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I just got my letter today. I have an interview next week! Very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

still no letter beginning to lose hope here!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

two quick questions: did everyone find that the interviews started on time? and how long did they last? Just trying to figure out what time to tell creche I can pick up little one at. Thanks :) interview is fri 4th, looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 highsummer

Have interview on Monday next. Thanks for all the help.

Does anyone have any info as to when the actual work would begin ? The dates aren't on the website anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

highsummer wrote: »

Does anyone have any info as to when the actual work would begin ? The dates aren't on the website anymore.

I think there's some training in late February/early March and the actual work takes place between mid March to mid May roughly speaking afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Shamrock128

Were you interviewed by this pair? :pac:

Andy+Gray+Richard+Keys.jpg

and..... Post of the day goes to........... The Sparrow:D:D

I also had my interview this morning (Rathmines).

Two very polite and friendly gentlemen interviewers. Pretty much the same as others have posted.

Questions Re:

Experience dealing with the public.
    How you might deal with someone who is unwilling to fill in the form.
    Map reading.
    Availability - particularly evenings plus "special days" - day after census could require a 6am start to recover forms from hotels, hospitals etc. Plus there are two training days which will be full 9am - 5pm days.
    Dealing with language problems e.g. when visiting the homes of non English speakers.
    Privacy / confidentiality.
    Secure Storage in your home.

Overall it was a pleasant experience.

I had just come from an unrelated full time job interview and was called back to a second interview immediately after the CSO one. So three interviews in one morning! Got a call this afternoon - after 2 years out of work, I got the job :)

So I reckon I will be leaving the census job to you guys! (not that I was ever assured of it in the first place :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bugsie2011

Anyone interviewed in Listowel, co. Kerry? What are the interviewers like? What kind of questions or would they be similar to what was already posted?
    Have an interview Fri morning

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Avery

Hiya

Just wondering could anyone tell me approx how long the interview lasted?

I have to work on the day of the interview I have scheduled and I'm worried about timing being tight.

Also, was there any indication of when the training days would occur if successful? Likely to be weekends perhaps?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cal_chi

highsummer wrote: »

Checked the pdf copy of my application and it states that Census duties are from 7th March - 13th May.

Avery wrote: »
    Hiya

Just wondering could anyone tell me approx how long the interview lasted?

I have to work on the day of the interview I have scheduled and I'm worried about timing being tight.

Also, was there any indication of when the training days would occur if successful? Likely to be weekends perhaps?

Thanks

My interview lasted approx. 15 to 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rachaich

Hi folks. Does anyone know if the enumerator job will qualify under the PTJI scheme? I am a long term jobseeker, and unfortunately my welfare payments are the only source of income for my family at the moment. I have an interview for the enumerator job tomorrow, but am a bit worried if the pay alone will be sufficient to cover our outgoings... good luck to everyone by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

two quick questions: did everyone find that the interviews started on time? and how long did they last? Just trying to figure out what time to tell creche I can pick up little one at. Thanks :) interview is fri 4th, looking forward to it

Mine started bang on time and lasted about 25 mins - from what I could see it looked like they have 30 mins between interviewees so you should be able to plan fairly accurately (bar unforseen circumstances).

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

I also had my interview this morning (Rathmines).

Two very polite and friendly gentlemen interviewers. Pretty much the same as others have posted.

Questions Re:

Experience dealing with the public.
    How you might deal with someone who is unwilling to fill in the form.
    Map reading.
    Availability - particularly evenings plus "special days" - day after census could require a 6am start to recover forms from hotels, hospitals etc. Plus there are two training days which will be full 9am - 5pm days.
    Dealing with language problems e.g. when visiting the homes of non English speakers.
    Privacy / confidentiality.
    Secure Storage in your home.

Hi this is very helpful thanks but I am wondering how would you deal with non english speakers??....and what you should say when dealing with people that are unwilling to cooperate??

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

Had my interview this morning (East county Galway), it felt more like a rubber stamping exercise than an interview but I'll wait and see. They told me I'd know by end of Feb/early March.

Here's some of the questions they asked me:

Was I unemployed? (which they could tell from my form)
    How was I at filling out paperwork/forms?
    How was I at meeting deadlines?
    What would I do if I came to a house where they refused to fill in the form?
    Was I afraid of dogs?!
    Was I OK reading maps?
    Was I OK using a mobile phone? (Duh! They rang me on my mobile to tell me about the interview!)
    Was I free on Monday 11th to help in other areas to collect forms from places like hospitals/B&B's/Hotels/Nursing homes etc?

Also asked me lots of questions about what I had written on my form, esp work related stuff. And told me the dates of the training days. And asked me about locked storage.

They (2) were very nice, asked me at the end had I any questions but I went blank! It lasted about 20/25 minutes, there was lots of opportunity to sell myself :D

I'm probably stating the obvious for some people, but I just thought I'd mention that even though 15,000 people applied for 5,000 jobs (technically 3 applicants for 1 job), there may have been an uneven distribution of applicants. I don't remember them asking me on the application to choose my district or if there was a filter process of some kind? And if that's the case then they may have had loads of people applying in some areas, and much fewer in others? Maybe someone else knows if this is the case or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

What would I do if I came to a house where they refused to fill in the form?

What answer are people giving for this Question ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thundercatho

WIZE wrote: »

Ask them Why and try resolve their issues.. If you werent able to resolve it then you would have to escalte it to your supervisor.... Not Rocket Science

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

WIZE wrote: »

You would explain the reason of the Census and if they still wouldn't take the form, then you would contact your Field Supervisor. This happened to me, and myself & my supervisor went back to the house and the family took the form. I thought that I would then have issues with the collection, but when I collected the form, it was fine, filled in.

You are advised not to have confrontations with people & if you feel that anything is going to arise, walk away and talk to your supervisor about the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

I had done lots of reading of their website so I said that I would first explain about how census enumerators had signed a confidentiality agreement. Then about how their names are only used to gather the info (ie make sure everyone is accounted for) and then the data is separated from the names. Then I would explain about how every individual should be represented or their needs would not be taken into account when planning is happening. And finally, I'd tell them they were breaking the law and would be fined!

But clearly I could have just said I'd take it up with my supervisor ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement