Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Smcgie wrote: »
    Just finished my interview there. Went well apart from the fact I forgot to fill my DOB out on the vetting form :rolleyes:

The were two interviewers both were very polite and down to earth. They asked questions such as:

What motivates you?
    What do you think the census is about?
    Can you read a map (displayed a local map)
    Any fear of dogs other animals?
    If you were offered employment between now and March would you still complete the census?
    Why have you applied for this position; is it for the money?

That's just a few off the top of my head. They were very nice people and the environment albeit formal was very relaxed.

Goodluck to you all.
    Course its for the money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thundercatho

I had done lots of reading of their website so I said that I would first explain about how census enumerators had signed a confidentiality agreement. Then about how their names are only used to gather the info (ie make sure everyone is accounted for) and then the data is separated from the names. Then I would explain about how every individual should be represented or their needs would not be taken into account when planning is happening. And finally, I'd tell them they were breaking the law and would be fined!

But clearly I could have just said I'd take it up with my supervisor ;)

Totally agree....

When I gave out and collected the forms about 5 years ago there were 2 extremes... One from Foriegn people no knowing anything about it to students not wanting to do it as they couldnt care.....

When they understand that it is a private document and there is big chance they will get in trouble they usually comply quickly...

Never had to call my supervisor...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

phill106 wrote: »
    Course its for the money!

My reply to thatquestion was:

"If I applying to make good money I would have applied for the supervisors role" - They laughed :D

I'm honestly not in it for the money, I dont even know the final sum that you get paid. I know its around €2500 or something but for me its about meeting new people albeit to torture them to fill out a form and just passing the spare time that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

Had my interview in Dundalk today. Two very nice gentlemen interviewed me and it lasted just over 15 minutes. I was asked the standard stuff most people seem to be posting. I wasn't asked about map reading/mobile phones/dogs but I was asked why I applied for the competition, what could I bring to the job and how would I handle difficult people.I was also asked about social activities I took part in in the community and what kind of groups and activities did I partake in during college and school!

On a side note, my interview was scheduled for 12.15 but I got to the venue a bit early. I thought, great I'll have some time to compose myself before the interview but just after midday a guy came out for me so the interview started 10 minutes early!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Had the interview in Sandyford today also, think it went really well, was pretty much like an informal chat with just a couple of questions about the census thrown in.
    I did get a text this morning from one of the people interviewing me, checking if I was going to attend, she later explained they had had a good few cancellations this morning so were checking availability for people who were looking to reschedule for another time. Also as I was in the waiting room there were a couple of names called who weren't present so maybe that's a good sign for those of us who actually want the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Have got my interview tomorrow morning in Sandyford. Little bit nervous i'm not the best interviewee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Etnies wrote: »
    Have got my interview tomorrow morning in Sandyford. Little bit nervous i'm not the best interviewee.

Got my interview there tomorrow first thing as well. I find it's better to look forward to interviews as a stepping stone to getting a job. Anyway at least we'll have it out of the way early in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I am up on Thursday.

I have not had an interview in 10 years.

I am quite nervous .. I really want this

Sure ya might get a start with airtricity after this lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gep

Had my interview today in Monaghan, it went really well. Interviewers were two men, the whole process lasted approximately 20mins, they were very nice and it did not seem like an interview. Its been 14 years since my last interview, and did not know what to expect. Firstly i had to tell them about myself, name, age, matital status, working profession, what my job entails etc, then they gave me 2 maps and i had to describe what i saw, not too difficult. I was told that jobs will be offered in early february and training will take place for 2 day 8th & 9th of march in each area. :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Isn't that rather odd? What has your marital status got to do with the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

gep wrote: »
    Firstly i had to tell them about myself, name, age, matital status, working profession, what my job entails etc,
    Did they actually ask age & marital status, or just "tell us about yourself"?

Just back from my interview actually went ok, apart from being sent to the wrong room by reception in the hotel. Bring your letter with you too, seen people there that had forgot.

Got asked the usual questions that have been posted already,

Tell me about yourself..
    What made you apply for the job..
    Are you afraid of animals/dogs
    Are you ok with driving on rural roads
    Are you ok with map reading
    Are you organised
    Do you have a secure place to store the documents

Also was asked to explain what I did in certain jobs.

Good Luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CaseyBabes

Had my interview in North Dulin yesterday morning and it was actually an enjoyable experience. 2 interviewers were really relaxed and it was more an informal chat than an interview. Lots of chance to talk about myself - questions they asked included who was my favourite employer and why! What does census mean to me. How would I bring my work experience to Census. Given that they estimate 22 hrs of work is needed per week, how would I plan my time. Also had to pinpoint two places on a map and say how to get from a to b - think I went the wrong way up a one way street for that one! All in all a nice experience, they certainly weren't out to trip me up in any way and I certainly coudln't have done any more to try to secure the job.

Best of luck everyone and for all those who haven't interviewed in years (like myself!) enjoy it, its a nice gentle re-introduction into the world of job seeking and interviewing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I had my interview in Dublin yesterday. First interview in 19 years. Two very friendly interviewers. They asked me how would I feel about working 25 to 30 hours a week, which is a little more than previously mentioned. They got me to talk about myself. It lasted about 20 minutes although at the beginning they had indicated it would take 30, which is a little worrying. Anyway overall it was an enjoyable experience. Hats off to the interviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rooster108

were the training days to be mid-week?? i'm working full-time already and don't really have the time to take days off - maybe it's not for me. i thought evenings & weekends could be enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭robo

The last time they did a mixture of training in the day and in the evening. It is done to facilitate people's other jobs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 oisim

Hi,

does anyone know of any jobs coming up in the midlands area??
    Or can you tell me a site that is good for up coming jobs
    ??

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CaseyBabes

I'm almost sure they told me during interview yesterday that the two day training would be two full days at the weekend? I've analysed so much of what was said at the interview yesterday that now i'm wondering if I'm imagining things!

I asked about the training and they said it will either be 4 half days or 2 full days.. they even told me the date but I can't remember I think someone else wrote it somewhere in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

The enumerator training will be delivered by the Field Supervisors, so the individual arrangements may vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fabricator

Had my interview in Kildare today, one male and one female interviewers. Both very lowkey and attentitive to detail, no trick questions. Map reading, approach to people who won't fill in forms, availability to work evenings and Saturdays, secure room for documents, confidentiality and willingness to get the job done. Fingers crossed, could do with the few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I was told that the training days were 8th and 9th March, 9 to 5.30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

could somebody outline how exactly the enumerators will be paid?

the booklet has me a little confused

how much are you awarded collectivly for the delivery, filling in and collection of each individual census paper?

how is travel allowance calculated? do you submit mileage?

the payment of 100euro (weekly in advance) is this a one off payment at the beginning or is it given for each week you work?

cheers lads! just thinking for tax purposes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

jasuzz.

cant sleep a wink with the interview tomorrow. 2.30am. Nerves are getting th better of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

gsxr1 wrote: »
    jasuzz.

cant sleep a wink with the interview tomorrow. 2.30am. Nerves are getting th better of me

At least you have an excuse, I'm just an insomniac!

You will be grand, it's nothing to worry about. I had two very nice interviewers and I think that was the experience of everybody so far. The interviewers are the supervisors who applied through a similar proceedure to us so it's not CSO bigwigs or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

I got a text yesterday asking me to go to an interview on friday at 12.30pm..

Thats crazy short-notice as I work 8-6 and told them in the application I work.. text him back and told him I can take a half day next week If he gives me some notice, awaiting reply.

Do people wear suits to these things?

I'm not going to bother, just going to head down in trousers and shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bren_D

I have my interview tomorrow and I agree with you. I think wearing a suit might be too formal. I'm gonna go smart casual as well. Would be interested to hear from anybody who has done interview and can tell me what most people were wearing

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

Might Rock down with a High-Viz on just to get into character..

Did anyone bring their CV?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Interview was easy peasy, one of the interviewers turned out to be a neighbour of mine! I've never benefited from 'knowing someone' before so here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

Is there a way to re-read my application wish I knew what I put on it! D'oh. Think I did it in on a bit of a whim!

Interview tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement