Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I wore a suit. I would say a smart casual would be fine though, I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Had my interview there this morning, it went grand. The 2 interviewers (one man, one woman) were very relaxed and open. They asked the same questions as everyone else has detailed here:

Tell us a bit about yourself .

Why are you applying for this job?

Are you in paid employment? - They were very concerned about how much time people can commit - if you are already in full or part-time work, be prepared to show that you are completely flexible and be able to show clearly how you will fit in 22-25 hours per week.

What problems do you anticipate?

How would you deal with the problems?

How well do you know the area?

How are you with maps?

Are you free on the following days for training (in a local town)? - for me, 3 full days mid-week - it seemed that priority may be given to those who can attend - again you need to demonstrate that other commitments will not interfere with your ability to complete census duties.

What are your hobbies?

They did ask me if I was married, but it was because I had put down 'Ms' rather than 'Mrs' on the application form (I refuse to be a Missus) and subsequently mentioned my husband when talking about my hobbies. Started a nice bit of lighthearted banter about semantics and sexism and Andy Gray.

They then asked me if I had any questions, I asked 2.

So like I said, I think it went well - guess I'll find out in 3 weeks or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Did an interview yesterday - it was relaxed and informal, though 'smart casual' is probably a good idea... lads should probably wear a tie if they are comfortable with that.

Questions were pretty much as outlined by other posters above - I did get the feeling though that someone on the dole might be picked ahead of someone with a full-time job (all other things being equal between then)....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I did my interview yesterday but had to pull out because I would have to take 3-4 days off work for training so it really wouldn't pay me to do it if I had to use up my Holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bren_D

Got a phone call today making sure I was going to interview tomorrow. They said to make sure I bring Garda vetting form and proof of address (passport preferably). I asked them if I should bring CV with me. They said no need. Like the comment about the "High Viz jacket". Very witty - wouldn't it be gas to see the look on their faces if you did wear it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

oh yeah Garda Vetting form! If its on two pages then they will ask you to fill it out again on a single page form. The Guards won't accept it on two separate pages.

ohh and the question asking "Have you been convicted of an offense" answer NO if you haven't been - I selected YES :rolleyes:for some silly reason! I guess its because most form have YES first then NO.

Just to add - I wore smart clothes - low heels, smart trousers, matching jacket, plain top. I only saw one other candidate, he was wearing shirt and tie, suit trousers, shiny shoes and a smart overcoat. Not a full suit but formal enough, typical professional officey clothes.

The male interviewer wore a full suit, the female one wore smart clothes but not a proper suit or anything. Us women get away with anything really as long as it's smart and tidy. I'd say a tie would be a must for men, or if no tie, then a full suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

My interview took 35 mins(dont know if that was good or bad) and asked all the same questions. Everyone except me was dressed casual .( i wore a suit and glad I did. )
    Was not enjoyable but I think I did ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thundercatho

markfdrums wrote: »
    Might Rock down with a High-Viz on just to get into character..

Did anyone bring their CV?

Just wear a Hi Viz Jacket and not a Hi Viz Mankini.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I got a text yesterday asking me to go to an interview on friday at 12.30pm..

Thats crazy short-notice as I work 8-6 and told them in the application I work.. text him back and told him I can take a half day next week If he gives me some notice, awaiting reply.

Do people wear suits to these things?

I'm not going to bother, just going to head down in trousers and shirt.
    Just to add - I wore smart clothes - low heels, smart trousers, matching jacket, plain top. I only saw one other candidate, he was wearing shirt and tie, suit trousers, shiny shoes and a smart overcoat. Not a full suit but formal enough, typical professional officey clothes.

The male interviewer wore a full suit, the female one wore smart clothes but not a proper suit or anything. Us women get away with anything really as long as it's smart and tidy. I'd say a tie would be a must for men, or if no tie, then a full suit.

Nearly everyone I saw at my interview had trousers and a shirt, very few suits and quite few ties. Smart casual is fine, its what I wore, just no jeans or t shirts obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 candylips

robo wrote: »
    No you should most definitely go to the interview - maybe bring in proof that you are late due to a flight. I imagine that they will slot you in. I turned up a half an hour early for mine 5 years ago and they interviewed me then, rather than leave me sit there for a half an hour. So just turn up & explain that you were not allowed inform them of your travel arrangements and you would still like the opportunity to interview for the job. Best of luck with it.

I believe its not a good idea to just turn up - always best to ring ahead if they can accommodate you they will - but turning up late will put you down as a no show - good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I was interviewed today in Bewley's in Leopardstown. Seemed to go ok except for one stupid answer when they asked me what do you do if nobody is home every time you call and the place might be abandoned or empty and I stupidly said check back 4 or 5 times at different hours before 'giving up' and asking the neighbours about the house. I've no idea why I used the phrase 'giving up' but they immediately said you never give up on a house and you can ask the neighbours or perhaps leave a card or letter explaining the situation in case you keep missing the person.

Anyway, they were very nice and professional and I don't think that was a big deal. One thing to note if you are being interviewed in that hotel, parking is a big problem. I was almost late because there were no parking spots left in the car park and there is nowhere to park outside. I ended up having to park beside a wall that thankfully wasn't blocking anyone but all of the spaces were filled and other cars were parked in every other nook and cranny.

I was talking to one of the interviewers about it and they were saying it has been a big problem and some people have missed interviews because they couldn't find anywhere to park. Thankfully, they are rescheduling them. Also, they said that getting to the hotel is a nightmare in the morning because of the traffic from Sandyford Industrial Estate and a lot of people were late because of that. So if you are up there, give yourself plenty of time to both get there and find parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

JoeySully wrote: »
    I did my interview yesterday but had to pull out because I would have to take 3-4 days off work for training so it really wouldn't pay me to do it if I had to use up my Holidays.

Its 3-4 full days of training?? That seems like quite a bit. I heard it was 2 days? Dont think I would bother taking that much time off work for it. You think they would do it on the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 candylips

irishguy wrote: »
    Its 3-4 full days of training?? That seems like quite a bit. I heard it was 2 days? Dont think I would bother taking that much time off work for it. You think they would do it on the weekend

The training of enumerators is usually done over a 3 day period - each day taking about 3 hours - most times its arranged mornings and evenings to suit people who are working - but effectively its meant to be starting on the 8th march til the 10th and unless the election date moves closer than its scheduled day of the 11th March - the first day of delivery of Census form will be the 12th of March. Usually depending on the successfull candidates circumstances, the field supervisors will do their best to work with them to hold the training at best possible times. Its best to realise that the organisation of the census is scheduled by cso and its not always possible for Field supervisors or Regionals to change whats written so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

I don't understand all these people wearing "Full Suits" absoultly Ludicrous. Your going for an interview for a door-to-door job for six weeks. A suit is way over the top.

Smart/Casual People there was No one wearing suits when I was in and me included...

~S

Smcgie wrote: »
    I don't understand all these people wearing "Full Suits" absoultly Ludicrous. Your going for an interview for a door-to-door job for six weeks. A suit is way over the top.

Smart/Casual People there was No one wearing suits when I was in and me included...

~S

Thats ok.

But you are not going door to door. You are going for an interview. In front of a panel for a government job.

Its hardly Ludicrous to want to present yourself well?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cal_chi

Had interview today in Drogheda. Went ok, questions as per previous posts. Training to be held Tues 8th-Wed 9th in the evening. Heads up though - very heavily over-subscribed in this area, and no one has cancelled/not turned up and they are interviewing for a full two and a half weeks, not two weeks as elsewhere). Really hope I get it, but not holding out too much hope for it :( At least it was a positive experience, not having done an interview for quite a few years. :) Will know 3rd week of February (although they did say it would depend on when the election was happening as to when they would let people know)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Smcgie wrote: »

~S

Ludicrous... To wear a suit to an interview for a government job. Really?

The only other people I noticed at my interview were the interviewers and the man was wearing a suit. So if he made the effort, I'm glad I did too.

I'm sure smart casual would be fine but why are you getting on a high horse about wearing a suit? It is hardly the most outlandish thing in the world to wear a simple suit and tie. Plus, I never get to wear my suit so it was an excuse to dig it out and look/ feel good for an important interview.

Hardly way over the top or ludicrous. :rolleyes:

Jigga wrote: »
    Three question lads, I will have a broken hand going into the interview. Few questions i cant find out answer to:

• What motivates you?
    • What should i say when asked what happened my arm?
    • How can i dress properly for interview in my condition? (Be near impossible to wear my full suit and tie)

Is your arm in a cast? Why not just tell them what happened. Is the reason it got broken bad?

Im guessing they will quiz you on your condition and when is will heal, as a broken hand could prevent you from doing the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

I didn't get any awkward interview questions really, just finished, went alright, but they just give you a number score and the big boys send out a letter if you get it. He said they had to interview 100 people and i'd reckon they need 10 to 12 in my area... brill... fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

Had my interview in enniscorthy yesterday. Think it went well, most of the questions posted up here were asked, so was prepared! I did nearly trip over the plug they had for their laptop when i walked in...very embarrassing:rolleyes:

I wore a suit and i cannot understand one poster above gettin all worked up about people wearing a suit to these interviews. Im glad i wore one-looked the part and when theres so many people going for these jobs then why not put your best foot forward?! Wear whatever you feel is appropriate and what youre comfortable in but again im glad i had a suit on.

Be nice to get this and feel some way worthwhile again!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

I have my rescheduled interview for Tues next in Leopardstown.. whats this I hear about a Garda vetting form??

Do I actually have to get that or do they vet me?

Apologies if this is a stupid question :confused:

PS re parking... Hit the Luas park and ride in Sandyford. Its only a quid or something for an hour and the hotel is only a 5 min walk (Beside Vodafone)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

I have my rescheduled interview for Tues next in Leopardstown.. whats this I hear about a Garda vetting form??

Do I actually have to get that or do they vet me?

Apologies if this is a stupid question :confused:

PS re parking... Hit the Luas park and ride in Sandyford. Its only a quid or something for an hour and the hotel is only a 5 min walk (Beside Vodafone)

The Vetting Form was attached to the letter that they sent you to tell you when to attend for interview.
    You just fill out the form and bring it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ck2

hi - i had my interview yesterday in marino institute. i read up on the interviedws here and i was glad i did. basically everything everyone said would be asked was asked. with regard to the dress code, i wore a suit, the people interviewing wore a suit and of the other 5 people waiting for interview , 4 of them were wearing suits. the last guy had jeans and a jacket and he stood out as being underdressed. Interviewers were lovely and very friendly but with 15000 being interviewed i would have to guess that they will be looking for ways to discard some people very quickly and i would imagine things like not bringing your forms or not filling them in would count against you, after all the job is about form filling and organisation. p.s pls note that the marino institute is on griffith ave and not fairview strand - i was told yesterday that they had a lot of no shows and i would guess that some people got the address wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ck2

sorry also meant to say that the two men who interviewed me are field supervisors and they told me that the training is on 2 full days 8th and 9th march, and asked if i would be available for those dates if i got the job. i believe the training days are different for different areas. my area would be around dublin 13 and 17.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 oisim

oisim wrote: »
    Hi,

does anyone know of any jobs coming up in the midlands area??
    Or can you tell me a site that is good for up coming jobs
    ??

Thank you

Had interview yesterday for census, 2 people interviewed me, very nice and friendly, most people waiting to go in wearing suits including myself. They asked nearly all the questions that people have posted, so fingers crossed!

Best of luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I had an interview for the Census Enumerator position today out in Leopardstown; there were a lot of people there interviewing, although there seemed to be a fair number of no-shows as well. As everyone has already stated, both interviewers were down-to-earth and friendly.

They went through my CV and educational history to begin with, before asking me a number of questions:

- What do you think the job entails
    - Are you happy to work weekends
    - What might be the more difficult parts of the job
    - Are you able to read a map
    - Are you able to take instruction from your manager
    - How would you deal with agressive or unhelpful people
    - Details instances in the past where you a) dealt with confidential info b) interacted with the public

I performed well but think in retrospect that my interview answers sounded too polished and prepared; I may have seemed a bit cold and distant as a result. When asked when I'd hear about the decision regarding my application, I was told late February.

I wore a suit, as did about 1/2 of the men I saw. One lad went into his interview wearing a suit AND a trilby hat; I almost grabbed his arm before he went in to advise him to take it off but I guess the interviewers may have liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 emamcl

Thanks Robo and many others for great advice. I've got my interview next week:)

ionapaul wrote: »
    I performed well but think in retrospect that my interview answers sounded too polished and prepared; I may have seemed a bit cold and distant as a result. When asked when I'd hear about the decision regarding my application, I was told late February.

I wore a suit, as did about 1/2 of the men I saw. One lad went into his interview wearing a suit AND a trilby hat; I almost grabbed his arm before he went in to advise him to take it off but I guess the interviewers may have liked it!

I disagree with you there. I think you have done well.

My partner interviews staff for a leading brand, sometime 100s in one week.

She tells me.

You will get people well prepared for the interview. They have reserched the company. Even history. right down to the employees manual. These are the people she picks as they have shown interest in the job and have even before getting job, shown dedication to the position.

She also said this type of person is in the minority .

The most likely person to walk in the door is the person who has just dandered in with no idea what the job is about and has not prepared in any way.

If you where an employer.

Which would you choose.
    A. the dedicated, interested well dressed person.
    B. the foot lose fancy free person who really has not idea what to expect

By the sounds of it. I think you did a sterling job.

• Advertisement

Are a lot of applicants already in full-time work? Any idea if, all else being equal, those of us with no jobs will be chosen above those with full-time jobs (just in terms of availability and flexibility re working hours, training etc)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement