Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ck2

Hi Cat

the two gentlemen that interviewed me had a page in front of them which they kept covered but i could see that there was yes /no answers on them. they asked me was i in PAID employment at the moment and they put the answer on the sheet. I would say that all other things being equal they will give it to people who are not working at the moment - it makes sense as you say regarding availability and being able to commit to full training days etc people in full time positions will obviously be more loyal to their current employer (naturally) if a clash should occur.

best of luck to everyone.
    ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 candylips

ck2 wrote: »
    Hi Cat

the two gentlemen that interviewed me had a page in front of them which they kept covered but i could see that there was yes /no answers on them. they asked me was i in PAID employment at the moment and they put the answer on the sheet. I would say that all other things being equal they will give it to people who are not working at the moment - it makes sense as you say regarding availability and being able to commit to full training days etc people in full time positions will obviously be more loyal to their current employer (naturally) if a clash should occur.

best of luck to everyone.

k

Hi just to say all things being equal part time workers and people on social benefits are regarded as the same - cso being a government agency are aware that social welfare recipiants are only available 3 days and sundays as they will need to sign off for the other three days - the financial benefits would not be enough to sign off all together. The people with the most available time are those that are retired and the non working partner in the home. The worry is that those who have just completed degrees etc may be searching for full time employment and that may worry a field supervisor regarding levels of committment available.
    One other thing - having a full driving licence is essential if your living in a rural area - you cannot drive alone on a provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bren_D

I did interview for enumerator yesterday and got caught out by one question. Asked what i would do if a hospital or hotel was part of my allocated addresses. Struggled with an answer cos obviously you can't deliver forms a week or two beforehand cos different people will be there and also a lot of people left when you go to collect. Just said I would have ask supervisor for advice. Don't know what I should have said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 candylips

Bren_D wrote: »
    I did interview for enumerator yesterday and got caught out by one question. Asked what i would do if a hospital or hotel was part of my allocated addresses. Struggled with an answer cos obviously you can't deliver forms a week or two beforehand cos different people will be there and also a lot of people left when you go to collect. Just said I would have ask supervisor for advice. Don't know what I should have said

your answer was a good one - seeking direction is always a good idea, plus you couldnt know the precedure befor the job - but training will clarify how to proceed with hotels or hostels and the forms required to enumerate them. I wouldnt worry, i think your answer was the right one - when in doubt - ask - mostly the question is about seeing if you can take direction and understand enough to clarify when your unsure.

very best of luck Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

I have my interview tomorrow and I'm wondering whats the best way to prepare? I have my clothes all set. And some basic knowledge of the census but I feel I could learn more. Is there anyway I could prepare myself better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 missy2011

Hi i have my interview tomarrow in Monaghan. What all did they ask can you remember?

gep wrote: »
    Had my interview today in Monaghan, it went really well. Interviewers were two men, the whole process lasted approximately 20mins, they were very nice and it did not seem like an interview. Its been 14 years since my last interview, and did not know what to expect. Firstly i had to tell them about myself, name, age, matital status, working profession, what my job entails etc, then they gave me 2 maps and i had to describe what i saw, not too difficult. I was told that jobs will be offered in early february and training will take place for 2 day 8th & 9th of march in each area. :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

itsgrand wrote: »
    I have my interview tomorrow and I'm wondering whats the best way to prepare? I have my clothes all set. And some basic knowledge of the census but I feel I could learn more. Is there anyway I could prepare myself better?

Regarding the census itself, they might ask you about that - don't just say it is about counting people and might be useful for tracing family history in 100 years - Do also mention how detailed it is and how just about every Government department and local authority will use census data for forward planning - where to build new schools, new roads, new hospitals - where the population is young (creches...) and where it is older (nursing homes...). Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

My interview is tommorrow and since I haven't done an interview in 17 years (recently laid off), I am nervous but I have to say all the info on this thread is v helpful particularly on tips on what to say during the interview etc. So here's hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

Well I have my interview tomorrow and I am very unprepared. I never got any letter from them (with the Garda vetting form etc) and my first heads up that the interview was in 2 days was a text from them confirming my interview. Did anyone else not get any paperwork from them? Had to ask if I can fill my vetting form out before / after the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GLasgow Exile

Mark. I imagine it has been lost in the post. It might be worth ringing them up to explain this rather than turning up on the day.

I have my interview tmoro. Thanks everyone for the advice here. Had a laugh about the suit as I was asking some friends and neighbours advice on it. I think I will be dusting mine down. Anyone else getting interviewed in carrick on shannon ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

markfdrums wrote: »
    Well I have my interview tomorrow and I am very unprepared. I never got any letter from them (with the Garda vetting form etc) and my first heads up that the interview was in 2 days was a text from them confirming my interview. Did anyone else not get any paperwork from them? Had to ask if I can fill my vetting form out before / after the interview.

yes, a friend of mine never got any notification either and got a call I think it was on the day of the interview to see if she was attending, she never got any letter from them, her interview was rescheduled until this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

Mark. I imagine it has been lost in the post. It might be worth ringing them up to explain this rather than turning up on the day.

I have my interview tmoro. Thanks everyone for the advice here. Had a laugh about the suit as I was asking some friends and neighbours advice on it. I think I will be dusting mine down. Anyone else getting interviewed in carrick on shannon ?

yeah have mine there n wednesday !!:eek:

Had my interview today, it was scheduled for 2.15 and I arrived at 2. There was no one else there and they took me straight in and when I left there was no one waiting. I got the impression that alot of people just didn't turn up. The interview was very straight forward and the questions were easy enough, alot of common sense. As before the asked me:
    Tell me about your education and work experience and how it would be relevant to the job
    What did I know about the job
    How would I deal with awkward people
    Was I available for weekends and nights
    Did i Have any questions myself
    One thing they did ask me was why I wanted the job, straight away I thought to myself well for the money of course, but I managed to bs about how good I am at meeting people and how I wanted to get back into the workplace..blah...blah
    I was in for about half an hour and even if I don't get it I'm glad I did it for the experience. I also didn't know you only get paid €100 per week and then get paid at the end depending on how much work you've done, so for 10 weeks you only get €100....
    They will get back to me at the end of Feb, job starts on March 8th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

You only get paid 100 euro a week for ten weeks??!! WWTF?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

V480 wrote: »

No, no it's €100 per week with a bonus at the end if you get your work done by a certain date. There's also lots of other payments you get. In total it's usually around €2400 you recieve in total.

yeah you're are correct - you get roughly 2400 gross in total. This is taxed unfortunately so your take home will be a little less.They give you 100 per week because they don't know exactly what your final figure is. Its not till the end when they know your full amount that they square you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

better than nothing when there is nothing else going.

100 euro a week will pay the morgage

Bren_D wrote: »
    yeah you're are correct - you get roughly 2400 gross in total. This is taxed unfortunately so your take home will be a little less.They give you 100 per week because they don't know exactly what your final figure is. Its not till the end when they know your full amount that they square you up.

Are you sure its taxed. This way bellow the tax bracket . I made 8k through the books last year and was not taxed a penny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I had my interview today too and this thread was a huge help. Thanks to everyone who passed on their experience, the best of luck to all!

Yeah I imagine you are right. If you haven't earned enough during year you won't have to pay income tax. You might have to pay PRSI or that new Social tax everyone is complaining about. I am out of work at the moment but I transfered all my tax credits to my wife who thankfully working so I don't know if I'll get hammered by the taxman if I am lucky enough to get the job.

had my interview in the ardmore,thanks to all on this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

V480 wrote: »

the break down of the payments was given in the information booklet that was online when the applications were open.

sorry v480 should have been more clear, others have explained better, was just making the point that for those 10wks u only get 100euro and would have to survive on that til the end of the contract

does anyone know when we will find out if we got the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

It was told in my interview it would be the end of February.

yep i was told end of feb too and then u start a wk later march 8 for training

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrsmaths

Hi everyone

I have my interview tomorrow and I went to print out the two PDF, that I'd downloaded from the CSO site, to swot up. Anyway, they have disappeared from my PC (must have been in temp files). Does anyone have them and could you send them to me??? I'd be really grateful

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Mods. Do not delete this. But could someone please explain why a person on welfare, say (188 euro) per week would take a job that pays 100 per week for 2 and a half months and then get 1200 of the balance at the end of it if they are lucky? How are these people supposed to live on 100 per week? Get loans in the meantime off Peter and Paul? Just doesn't add up?

well i asked at the social welfare office n was told if i bring a letter from the cso saying how much i am getting paid and for how many hours u can still claim. For instance if you say that u r working the 25hrs over 3 days u can claim the last two days (also she mentioned something bout a casual docket dunno what that means)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

To be honest I think they are looking for people that want to be apart of a big project.. dont think they're looking for people that are doing this purely to pay the bills.

If I was on the dole I'd probably do this for free. Its pretty interesting if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 missy2011

I was told everyone would know by the 18th of February. Good luck everyone.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement