Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Mods. Do not delete this. But could someone please explain why a person on welfare, say (188 euro) per week would take a job that pays 100 per week for 2 and a half months and then get 1200 of the balance at the end of it if they are lucky? How are these people supposed to live on 100 per week? Get loans in the meantime off Peter and Paul? Just doesn't add up?
    I dont get the dole. Like many stay at home parents. So 100 euro a week to me is the rent payed.

I was on the dole but got hung on a means test due to working part time/casual hours. They took all my dole away. Now I have no work and no income. BEWARE

If you are on the the dole make sure you know that this job could do you more harm than good on your next means test.
    I lost all my money because I made 100 euro a week on top of my partners income.
    They screwed me big time. And throw that much jargon at you , you wont have a clue where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

Im hearing some mixed opinions on the chances of actually getting the job.

Some say its 1 in 3.

Others say it depends on the area.

Can someone clarify the actual chance of getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

itsgrand wrote: »
    Im hearing some mixed opinions on the chances of actually getting the job.

Some say its 1 in 3.

Others say it depends on the area.

Can someone clarify the actual chance of getting it?

The one in 3 figure is from the amount of people applied vs number of positions, 5000 positions, 15000 applicants. It does depend on the area too though, as some areas got a higher proportion of applications then others. Some areas even had to open closing date for another day.
    I went for one in shannon , think he said 50 applicants for 11 positions.

phill106 wrote: »
    The one in 3 figure is from the amount of people applied vs number of positions, 5000 positions, 15000 applicants. It does depend on the area too though, as some areas got a higher proportion of applications then others. Some areas even had to open closing date for another day.
    I went for one in shannon , think he said 50 applicants for 11 positions.

Hah,this is not good news for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

after reading this thread and getting all the questions they would ask me before the interivew, it kinda felt like cheating in an exam... THE PERFECT CRIME!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GLasgow Exile

Just back from interview, which went well. They even asked if I had a preference as to which area I wanted to cover. Go on spoil my hopes by telling me they asked everyone that same question..ha. Training on 8th March if you are in the carrick on shannon region. I would imagine not that many applicants as I am in a rural area, but the down side what if the people who done it the last time reapply.

I ticked all the boxes, but I imagine so did everyone else. Can't imagine anyone going as far as the interview and saying they couldn't make the training dates. They also took my pic' which again I'm sure the done with everyone.

Thanks again for all the info' everyone posted. At times I was answering the question before they finished it.

Good luck to everyone who has applied.

lets say you get the job like....???

I dont have a space to lock but was thinking of an empty wardrope locked with a bike chain that only i have the key for. boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Thanx for the info lads, one question, should a driving offence go down on the vetting form, was convicted for no NCT last year, interview 9.30 in morn in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 daisey87

Hey I have interview tomorrow and was just wondering what people are saying for the following questions:
    • Secure storage Area??
    • Just doing it for the money?
    • How you will fit the hours in around a full time job?
    Thanks, so so nervous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

@acalmenvoy If you have an actual conviction you should put it down or you could get proper screwed, but surely you can't get a conviction for no NCT. A conviction is much more than a fine, points on a license. Its a big day out in court and actually receiving a 'bound to the peace' conviction or something similiar.

@daisey87 No need to be nervous, my interviewer's were very sound. It aint like the apprentice!

Secure storage area? Yes - assuming you have a room in a house and wont be leaving them in the dog's house!

Money - Just be Honest, I don't think they actually asked me, they asked what I'm doing with my life... I said im on the dole, he said have you got the travel bug... so everyone read between the lines and knew I need money for flights! No one's a fool.

Last one, 22 hours, not a big deal, your very organized!!

G'luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 daisey87

Thanks Brendan, I just dont think I'll be very convincing that it's not just for the money or that I can fit it in around my job.

Plus I got a call last night to confirm and the man sounded like one of those really boring old teachers with a real dry sense of humour and a dull monotonous voice, don't think i'll be having any of these 'sound' interviewers people are talking about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Just back from interview, which went well. They even asked if I had a preference as to which area I wanted to cover. Go on spoil my hopes by telling me they asked everyone that same question..ha.

I was asked this! I'm in a rural area too, and they asked me would I mind working in a different area to where I'm from. I said no, then they went into detail asking me how would I feel about various (very isolated) rural areas. I got the impression that they try to give people areas that they are fairly familiar with and that maybe they hadn't had any applicants from the ones they were asking about. No bother to me anyway, I spent my early life cycling and spinning down those same country lanes and have a good head for maps, so said I'd be happy to do the census in Outer Mongolia if that was what on offer. Can do no more than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Here's the link to the pay rates:

http://www.cso.ie/census/remuneration.htm
    Enumerator Fees and Allowances

Training
    €135.00

Total for each household enumerated of which:
    €3.80
    (a) Listing (per household) 0.30
    (b) Delivery (per household) 0.50
    (c) Collection (per household) 3.00
    Summarisation
    €215.00

Terminal Bonus
    (payable only on satisfactory completion of all assigned duties)
    €420.00

Home Storage allowance
    €140.00

Travel Allowance (as appropriate)

Fees payable for communal establishments with up to 15 residents will be as for private households. For larger communal establishments, an additional €3.00 will be payable for every 15 persons in excess of the first 15 enumerated.

Gross earnings

Average earnings are expected to be in the region of €2,200 gross for 25 hours per week over a 10 week period. Exact earnings will, however, depend on the number of households enumerated.

2006 rates... bit scabby really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Huntington

How strict do you think they will be on the "secure storage"
    I told them I had a spare bedroom and I could have exclusive use of it for the duration, which is true, but it's a bit of a pain, would mean moving the computer and a bed out. They can't really expected people to be able to dedicate a whole room in their house can they? Don't have any large lockabe cupboards either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Huntington wrote: »
    How strict do you think they will be on the "secure storage"
    I told them I had a spare bedroom and I could have exclusive use of it for the duration, which is true, but it's a bit of a pain, would mean moving the computer and a bed out. They can't really expected people to be able to dedicate a whole room in their house can they? Don't have any large lockabe cupboards either.

I live in a one room bedsit and they seemed to think it was fine if I just kept them out of immediate vision.

wardrope and bike chain!

thats my plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Here's the link to the pay rates:

http://www.cso.ie/census/remuneration.htm

Based on this I don't know if I would be able to sacrifice my dole to do this job, as much as I want to. I would want to be getting 200 euro a week in order to make it feasible and we would be getting half of that it seems although with a bonus at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GLasgow Exile

IT might be worth speaking to the welfare office to get the exact amount you will be losing. I rang citizens information and they gave me an indication. I still feel it's worth my while as it gets me back out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I had my interview today and I did ask about the pay and the social welfare thing and one of the guys mentioned that I would probably only sign off for half the week! But that would be fully explained if I get the job.

I totally blanked when they asked me about map reading, the guy had his maps out and he aked me loads of different questions about different places! Eeek, luckily I was able to wing it.

I really really hope I get the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

I had my interview today. Thanks to everyone for posting there experiences, it helped me prepare. I couldn't find my bloody drivers licence today, i always have it in the car! i freaked out but they were sound about it when i dropped it in afterwards.

I hope i get to do it. it'll be interesting dealing with all the local scobes!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrsmaths

Just to let people know the questions I was asked...

Had it in Drogheda and I had two male interviewers who were lovely.

Was asked:

- Questions about projects in my previous jobs
    - Organisational skills
    - Map reading skills
    - How would I deal with people whose first language was not English?
    - How would I deal with aggressive people?
    - How would I go about getting access to a gated estate?
    - Locked storage
    - How important it was to get people who would not bow out during the 10 weeks (i.e. basically, if you were unemployed would you take up another position)

I think that was it. All in all, a very enjoyable experience so fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

V480 wrote: »
    Based on this I don't know if I would be able to sacrifice my dole to do this job, as much as I want to. I would want to be getting 200 euro a week in order to make it feasible and we would be getting half of that it seems although with a bonus at the end.

You will have to sign on to X and O system im thinking.

Everyday you work you lose 35 euro . You sign off on your docket . Every wed you post the docket to the dole.

You cant cheat it as they go over everything at some stage. It has to tally with your bank statements and means tests. And your exact hours have to be filled out by your employer . So avoid working short hours in one day.

Plus . It is worth noting that when the job is done and you have to sign on full time again, there may be a big delay on getting back onto full jobseekers. I took 2 months for me . No money in between . So have savings in the bank.

On hinde site. Over the last 3 years of no steady work. I short changed myself by working. I lost money and had to work for the privilege.

Thats how good our welfare system is. Go in with eyes wide open.

on the up side you will be earning a stamp. But you need alot more than 2 months worth of stamps to qualify for JSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Does anyone know what date you can start delivering the forms and would you spend long at each house? Also I wanted to go away the weekend of April 1st or 8th (I work full time also). Would this be feasible or would there be too much to do around then? Also they said there would be 2 training days, a day of planning and the day after the Census for Hotels etc, would all these be actual full days I would have to take off work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 up tipp 2010

irishguy, are you for real with your post above?
    There are so many people who are not working and who would like very much the get this job and all you seem to be worried about is, will the job fit around your planned holidays and your job at the moment.
    You are concerned about so much even though you havent even got the job and i suspect you havent got a chance of getting it if your post is anything to go by.
    There are an awful lot of more people who deserve the job more than you and i hope they get it ahead of anyone in employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 up tipp 2010

I believe that anyone who did the interview can get the result of their interview whether you get the job or not, as this information is available under the FOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

irishguy, are you for real with your post above?
    There are so many people who are not working and who would like very much the get this job and all you seem to be worried about is, will the job fit around your planned holidays and your job at the moment.
    You are concerned about so much even though you havent even got the job and i suspect you havent got a chance of getting it if your post is anything to go by.
    There are an awful lot of more people who deserve the job more than you and i hope they get it ahead of anyone in employment.

Get a grip buddy. I have a job because I work hard at it and I am good at what I do. I dont see how that would preclude me from doing this job also if I am available to work the hours they want.

irishguy wrote: »
    Get a grip buddy. I have a job because I work hard at it and I am good at what I do. I dont see how that would preclude me from doing this job also if I am available to work the hours they want.

In all fairness I really hope priority goes to those who actually need this job to survive and not to those who already have one.

And btw I know plenty of people who are excellent at what they do (Electricians,Musicians,Accountants,Teachers.) so just because your good at something doesn't mean you should have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

irishguy you'd want to be careful what u say, i worked and was damn good at my job for 17 years but the recession hit and my company closed as did alot of others. I understand what uptipp is saying some of us aren't focusing on what weekends we can have off but are grateful for the job. I think u just need to be aware of the times we are in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Autobot17

irishguy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what date you can start delivering the forms and would you spend long at each house? Also I wanted to go away the weekend of April 1st or 8th (I work full time also). Would this be feasible or would there be too much to do around then? Also they said there would be 2 training days, a day of planning and the day after the Census for Hotels etc, would all these be actual full days I would have to take off work?

If you are going away on the weekend of April 8th, then you will not get the job. That weekend (the Census is on the 10th) is the single most important few days of the Census and as Enumerator.

Full-time workers should make sure they have sufficient time to put into this job. If you can't spare a day to do training, how would you have time to collect forms from hotels and hostels and the like on the day after the Census? This isn't a case of throwing a form in a door and collecting it a few weeks later. It's important you understand what you're getting into.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement