Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Have mine tomorrow in Coolock, this thread has helped the nerves anyway, lets hope it helps the interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Huntington

Autobot17 wrote: »
    If you are going away on the weekend of April 8th, then you will not get the job. That weekend (the Census is on the 10th) is the single most important few days of the Census and as Enumerator.

Full-time workers should make sure they have sufficient time to put into this job. If you can't spare a day to do training, how would you have time to collect forms from hotels and hostels and the like on the day after the Census? This isn't a case of throwing a form in a door and collecting it a few weeks later. It's important you understand what you're getting into.

+1 If you are worried about having to take a day off work then I don't think you realise the amount of work that is involved in this. I would say going away the 1st with be dodgy and going away the 8th a total non-runner.
    To answer you first question, forms will start to be delivered the day after the training days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi all

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, it is a fantastic help!

I have just read the comments of irishguy – CRAZY! I was damn good at my job but the company I worked for closed down & I was let go. Since then I have been doing everything I can to get any kind of work just to make ends meet. Lots of people were great at their jobs but due to circumstances outside of their control the company their worked for had no choice but to let them go.

Right I have got that out of my system!!! I had my interview yesterday in Newbridge. The two men were really nice, not a very formal interview at all, really make you feel at ease.

Just asked the usual questions are outlined previously:

Tell me about yourself and your background
    Are you good at map reading
    Your availability
    Your commitments at present (working hours etc)
    If you had a car
    If you could commit to the training days
    How many houses you could see yourself getting done each day
    What would you do if you had called to a house a number of times with no reply (Answer: Ask the neighbours for information (person could be in a nursing home, away etc), or go to the local post office and ask if post is being delivered there)
    Secure Storage
    Was I afraid of dogs

At the end they took my Garda Vetting Form, checked my ID and took my photo.

I found it a great experience, interviews are always good to get & thought I did well. They said I wouldn’t hear anything until the end of February

I am working at the moment, when I applied I was more part time, but have been offered a more full time role so starting that next week. I told them about this as I felt I had to.

I have to agree with some of the posts here, I think that if an unemployed person has the necessary requirements to do this job then they should have a better chance to those in full time employment, as they will clearly have a lot more time to dedicate to this role. It really isnt a cases of firing in questionnaires to people and picking them up, you have to really understand the system and every question, and be able to deal with a range of eventualities. You may have to call to houses a number of times which will be time consuming.

Anyhow very very best of luck to everyone!!!

Home from the interview there, the two lads were very nice and friendly and if it wasn't for this thread i doubt it'd of gone as well as it did.

Thanks everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gep

Hi folks, does anybody know how much mileage is paid to census enumerators ? I live in a rural area (very rural) would cost alot in petrol if i have to drive around the roads several times to collect forms. It does state that if applicable travel expenses will be paid but does not state how this amount is calculated. Has anyone from 2006 census remember how much they got ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi guys only came across this tread last night and hadnt time to reply. Thanks to everyone who posted your advice was invaluable and really put me at ease. I originally had my interview for monday morning but my two girls were sick so I couldnt make it. It said on the letter interviews could not be arranged so I gave a quick courtesy call to say I wouldnt be able to attend. The very pleasant lady I spoke to asked if it was possible did I want my interview on a different day of course I jumped at the chance and had my interview today.
    I was interviewed by two lovely ladies, they could not have been nicer! Usual questions were asked and thye also gave a few tips if I was to get a role.
    Best of luck to everyone hopefully this employment will help a lot of people out financially and give them confidence in future jobhunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JemimaPD

Thanks TouchingVirus and to everyone on this thread, your advice was brilliant as I had my interview today. Bit of a farse to get to the Fas centre over in Finglas thanks to the bloody 19A NOT COMING AT ALL. Had to grab a taxi but got there in time.

I had a nice interview so it wasnt so bad as I havent done one in about 5 years. My interviewers were a man and woman and were really nice. They basically asked the usual stuff like everyone had already mentioned but emphasised the training was on the 8th and 9th of March and I had to be available to attend. They didnt ask for any proof of ID so not sure if I shud take that as a bad thing or not but took my photo for their records and if I was selected for the post the pic would be used for my Enumerator ID. **Fingers X**

Good luck to everyone else who is going for the Interviews :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

its looking like this job is going to be full of boardies!!!

Hell . I hope I dont have to do it. I would love to get a full time job by the time this comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 erikaboxer

hello everyone, my interview is tuesday 8th feb, loads of good advice on here, but just a quick question, i have a casual job at the moment at the aviva stadium, like i only really get matchdays and thats more or less it, so what should i tell them about that, ive been to a few interviews recently and everyone seemed at bit concerned (they didnt say so but i could tell even though i assured them its not a problem as its only casual and i would say no), like i would even give up that job tomorrow as i would say it would take the best part of a year to earn 2,000 there and im hopin to be off to canada in september so i really need the money..

any ideas as to how i would approach it if they asked me about availability, etc.?

erikaboxer wrote: »
    hello everyone, my interview is tuesday 8th feb, loads of good advice on here, but just a quick question, i have a casual job at the moment at the aviva stadium, like i only really get matchdays and thats more or less it, so what should i tell them about that, ive been to a few interviews recently and everyone seemed at bit concerned (they didnt say so but i could tell even though i assured them its not a problem as its only casual and i would say no), like i would even give up that job tomorrow as i would say it would take the best part of a year to earn 2,000 there and im hopin to be off to canada in september so i really need the money..

any ideas as to how i would approach it if they asked me about availability, etc.?

I work in lansdowne too, if you're a Steward it'd really help telling them, because all we do is get abuse over stuff we have no control over :D Where as if you work in the bar, you'd still get a similar level of complaints though i know your hours arn't as flexible.

• Advertisement

I work in lansdowne too, if you're a Steward it'd really help telling them, because all we do is get abuse over stuff we have no control over :D Where as if you work in the bar, you'd still get a similar level of complaints though i know your hours arn't as flexible.
    haha well ive worked in the boxes but last couple of matches theyve moved me to a food kiosk
    its just that im wonderin no matter how i try n convince them they wont realise that i hardly work there at all and would say no, i dont get much apart from matchdays and i can say no anytime i like, so i'll prob just tell em that if i got this i would leave the stadium, especially as i will be anyway if i get canada..
    thanks for the help, and i'll make sure to let them know how ive had to deal with complaints (usually just go to my supervisor but yeah, guess its as good an answer as any)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭poppet84

I don't think people should be discriminated against just because they have a job already! The people who have done the best in the interviews will get it end of! The fact some people will have more free time will surely be on their side though in fairness too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 candylips

Huntington wrote: »
    How strict do you think they will be on the "secure storage"
    I told them I had a spare bedroom and I could have exclusive use of it for the duration, which is true, but it's a bit of a pain, would mean moving the computer and a bed out. They can't really expected people to be able to dedicate a whole room in their house can they? Don't have any large lockabe cupboards either.

secure storage means having an area that locks and that you are happy to work in - particularly when dealing with completed forms - so the bedroom is fine and no you dont have to move anything from the room - you will be working there so as long as you feel comfortable doing the work in the layout you have then its fine - the door must lock and no other person should be with you when working on the forms, its only one large box - the difficulty comes with finding a wardrobe deep enough to take it. Oh its possible you may get visited more than once during the 10 weeks at your home by your field supervisor, she will also have to see the room you intend working in, and any meetings with her or him will take place in that room unless no one else is home. Very best of luck with your application

erikaboxer wrote: »

I would say be honest about the job say its very casual and definately wouldnt interfere with time available to deliver - you should have 25 hours plus evenings and weekends available - also mention that one of the reasons you feel you would be good at the job is your constant contact with the public and that your used to dealing with some complaints. I would tell them about your plans to go to canada in september and that the money would really help that. Good luck im sure you will fly it.

candylips wrote: »
    I would say be honest about the job say its very casual and definately wouldnt interfere with time available to deliver - you should have 25 hours plus evenings and weekends available - also mention that one of the reasons you feel you would be good at the job is your constant contact with the public and that your used to dealing with some complaints. I would tell them about your plans to go to canada in september and that the money would really help that. Good luck im sure you will fly it.
    cheers for the advice candylips, will take that advice and just tell them how it is, if they like it they like it and if they dont they dont
    thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭McSween

anyone know how they contact you for whether you are successful or not? email or phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

McSween wrote: »
    anyone know how they contact you for whether you are successful or not? email or phone?

Last time, I got a phone call from the supervisor I was going to work under.

McSween wrote: »

I think this time round all those being considered will recieve a letter telling them they are on a panal - then the first 11 selected from the interviews will recieve a phone call from their supervisor - others will remain on the panal incase any of the first 11 are unable to take the job or complete it.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Anyone know when we will be finding out if we got the job? I think they told me in the interview but I can't remember now.. need to start planning stuff for college soon and need to know if I got it one way or the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Etnies wrote: »
    Anyone know when we will be finding out if we got the job? I think they told me in the interview but I can't remember now.. need to start planning stuff for college soon and need to know if I got it one way or the other!

I think a week or two yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

It's been like 3 weeks already think I might ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

I was told the 18th or the week of the 18th. I'm fairly certain others have posted the same thing. It's a huge process for them to find the right candidates so I don't think the waiting time has been too long considering the interviews themselves took a few weeks to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I wouldn't ring just yet. You're interview may have been three weeks ago but we only finished interviewing people this week, it's a huge process. If you don't hear anything by the end of February then pick up the phone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gallimh girl

Was told at interview that I would be notified after the 18th, so would wait until after then, probably won't give you that information on the phone anyway.

I dont think ringing will bring you any joy, that kind of information will only be given out when the process is completed, which was meant to be mid to end of february. Phone calls will be made and letters will be sent out as soon as final decisions are made in all areas. As the training of Enumerators begins on the 8th of March and word has to come back from the garda vetting process - its very likely that you will hear some news towards the end of next week. Good luck :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bugsie2011

I have heard that the field supervisors will be contacting successful candidates either tomorrow or early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Just got a call from supervisor and been offered a position - delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

WELL DONE!! What part of the country are you in?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Here's the link to the pay rates:

http://www.cso.ie/census/remuneration.htm

Those rates in this link have changed/methods have changed slightly since 2006 as well. Its not mentioned there as well but theres also holiday pay of 8% on your gross pay earnings in the final payment week and the majority of payment types will be subject to the USC as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

wow well done, so today might be the day we hear then. Good luck to everyone. I can imagine all the boardsies will get it seeing as we had so much 'help'!

fingers crossed. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement