Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Glad i got no call this morning i was in no fit state to talk to anyone, my head was bursting from a day on the lash.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'm in North Tipp. Got a letter on Saturday morning (very odd, we don't usually have a Saturday postal service) but still no phone call. I'm going to give it until tomorrow evening, if I haven't heard by then I'll probably accept a much less attractive offer in an area completely unrelated to what I should be doing. Such a shame, I thought the interview went very well. Will definitely be following this up as my qualifications are in the area of social research and statistical analysis, I have solid references and decent work experience. Need to know where I went wrong as this is exactly the type of job I'll be trying to get in the future.

Does anyone know the exact procedure for getting feedback on the interview, or can anyone post a link to info on same?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

Bang a one liner off to cso and ask them what their beef is.

Im now going to make life hell for the guy who is collecting the forms round my way.

going to make sure he/she has to make endless trips to my house to no avail...

thats right, im bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 up tipp 2010

Cat, at the base of the census homepage there is a freedom of information icon and if you click on that you will get an icon that allows you to download a FOI Application Form.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

markfdrums wrote: »

Im now going to make life hell for the guy who is collecting the forms round my way.

thats right, im bitter.

That's not bitter, that's being a di<khead.

• Advertisement

Im not going to do it on purpose jeez chill.

Saying that, i do stay in my GF's most of the week and at work all other times.

It will be hard to get me somebody will be earning their few quid thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 frecklesjack

thats right, im bitter.

It doesn't sound like you would have the personality they are looking for - I'd imagine this immaturity you're showing now was probably evident then too...

Yeah I deffo think you could be onto something there.

Dont really have a good rapport with underworked and overpaid civil servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

Yeah I deffo think you could be onto something there.

Dont really have a good rapport with underworked and overpaid civil servants.
    wow u really do have a chip! My supervisor who interviewed me was unemployed before she got the job and she is also in contract so supers don't fall into that category, so if u went into the interview with that attitude, well no wonder....

Were the interviewers the same people who are supervising?

The guys doing mine looked like staunch cso lifers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I got the position with the CSO, delighted after so many months out of work. People who got the panel letter should not be too downbeat as I have heard that there were plenty of people working in the CSO main office in Cork who applied and did not get the job. I got the same letter and got a call at 6.30 Friday evening offerin it to me.

However, I have an interview for a full-time job tomorrow. I would like to fit the CSO job around working full-time if I can but I'm jost worried that I will be taxed to death if I have two different jobs.

If I give my p45 to the CSO then I shouldn't get taxed too badly on it but that will leave me with none to give to my other (potential) new employer so I would be emergency taxed....am I right in thinking this? I know you can claim emergency tax back but I would be travelling a hell of alot with the other job too so not sure if I could afford the travel expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 roughdiamond1

I'm in Donegal and the people I know that got the census jobs are all ex gardaí on a pension/ retired teachers on a pension or people already employed. In my area one of the supervisors gave his wife a job and her friend (both of them work in other jobs). No shame at all. Donegal is soo corrupt. I think the jobs should have gone to people that are unemployed or young people. Instead they have gone to middle aged overweight people (the application form states that you need to be fit!!) as a supplementary income with FF connections. I also wonder what qualifications the interviewers had as it seems in rural areas its all about who you know not your qualifications. They didn't even employ anyone from any of the islands who have local knowledge instead would rather send a someone in for a few days at a huge cost.

Were the interviewers the same people who are supervising?

The guys doing mine looked like staunch cso lifers.
    Well the supervisors did the interviewing in my area, i presume it was the same all over n thats the impression i got from this thread

I think it would make perfect sense to give priority to people unemployed. They just needed to STATE that in the job advert.

Massive time waste.

To date I have received:

No panel letter
    No call
    No dear john...

Nothing...

Bitter?? Yes
    P!ssed off??? Yes
    Typical of this country and lack of decent admin?? Oh yes

I'm in Donegal and the people I know that got the census jobs are all ex gardaí on a pension/ retired teachers on a pension or people already employed. In my area one of the supervisors gave his wife a job and her friend (both of them work in other jobs). No shame at all. Donegal is soo corrupt. I think the jobs should have gone to people that are unemployed or young people. Instead they have gone to middle aged overweight people (the application form states that you need to be fit!!) as a supplementary income with FF connections. I also wonder what qualifications the interviewers had as it seems in rural areas its all about who you know not your qualifications. They didn't even employ anyone from any of the islands who have local knowledge instead would rather send a someone in for a few days at a huge cost.
    wow, that is a disgrace, haven't seen that here in kerry (also rural) thankfully , think u should probably report it, complete abuse of the system. I'm sure it would be easily enough proven cos would imagine supers would have been told to disclose any relatives etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 oisim

Anyone get any calls today!? Or is it all done and dusted by now!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CaseyBabes

I think it would make perfect sense to give priority to people unemployed. They just needed to STATE that in the job advert.

Massive time waste.

To date I have received:

No panel letter
    No call
    No dear john...

Nothing...

Bitter?? Yes
    P!ssed off??? Yes
    Typical of this country and lack of decent admin?? Oh yes

Mark you mentioned earlier that you're rarely at home, maybe there's a letter waiting for you?? I wouldn't consider an interview a waste of time, even if I didn't get the job in the end - it's all experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I was offered the enumerator job last Saturday by phone. The letter only arrived today and date on the letter said 16th of February however the poststamp is from the 21th of February.
    I was chosed for Dublin North Central. However I had to turn in down yesterday due to another job I was offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GLasgow Exile

No calls here. If the supervisors have done the job in the past and the interviews this time then it is highly likely that they would be influenced in their appointments if they had neighbors, relatives or friends applying.

The job isn't rocket science so it's a handy shoe in for the lads down the pub. Or am I being cynical ? I can't understand why unemployed people aren't being prioritised for these posts. It makes absolute sense. Get people who until recently have worked all their life back into the system while cutting some of the dole pay outs at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gallimh girl

oisim wrote: »
    Anyone get any calls today!? Or is it all done and dusted by now!?

I got a call this afternoon, supervisor called around to my house 30 mins later. Was surprised to get the call, I had got one of the panel letters (Saturday) and when I hadn't heard yesterday I thought I hadn't a chance. Am unemployed and not in receipt of any benefits so delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I got a call this afternoon, supervisor called around to my house 30 mins later. Was surprised to get the call, I had got one of the panel letters (Saturday) and when I hadn't heard yesterday I thought I hadn't a chance. Am unemployed and not in receipt of any benefits so delighted :)

I got the call late on Saturday, supervisor has just been, got my panel letter yesterday it was dated the 17th also, also unemployed and not in receipt of any benefits either, so glad I got it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

No calls here. If the supervisors have done the job in the past and the interviews this time then it is highly likely that they would be influenced in their appointments if they had neighbors, relatives or friends applying.

The job isn't rocket science so it's a handy shoe in for the lads down the pub. Or am I being cynical ? I can't understand why unemployed people aren't being prioritised for these posts. It makes absolute sense. Get people who until recently have worked all their life back into the system while cutting some of the dole pay outs at the same time.
    Many unemployed people just might not have the right set of skills and experience wanted - the job probably isn't amazingly taxing but they still should aim to get the most suitable people I think; doesn't everyone agree? I'm not working, haven't done it before and don't know anyone involved in the process, yet got offered a spot as I think my experience swung it for me.

For example, in the interview I was asked about previous work experience where I may have had access to confidential information; I was able to point to my time with Paddy Power and the access I had to all customers' betting history while there (obviously I resisted the temptation to check out people's info while there, you'd be out on your ear pretty quickly if caught). So I imagine people who've worked in banks or other financial services would have a solid answer to this question as well; some others mightn't be able to point out such experience and would be a bit weaker as a candidate I would guess.

Same goes for all the other questions asked; people with relevant skills and experiences should have been favoured rather than employment status and / or friendship with the interviewers. At least that is what I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jellyjeany

just wondering if anyone has heard in the Kerry area? My phone was out of action Saturday/Sunday - worried I might have missed a call!

jellyjeany wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone has heard in the Kerry area? My phone was out of action Saturday/Sunday - worried I might have missed a call!
    yes i'm in south kerry, phonecall fri, letter sat

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bobsyouraunty

I think there is still hope as not every area has been contacted well i can only guess as much.... I know myself and two others went for interview in Sligo and two of us are on the "panel" and the other one has not heard a word.... So until i hear that someone has been offered a job in Sligo in my head i still have hope...... Really need this job come on phone ring :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I can't understand why unemployed people aren't being prioritised for these posts. It makes absolute sense. Get people who until recently have worked all their life back into the system while cutting some of the dole pay outs at the same time.

Surely the CSO is an equal opportunities employer. Just because someone is on the dole doesn't mean they should be prioritised in getting a job. They should have to get up off their ass, and earn the job by being the best.

I also applied and a letter came through telling me I'm on the panel. Unfortuneately I will have to reject the job if offered as I am busy with college stuff and my other job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Cian92 wrote: »
    Surely the CSO is an equal opportunities employer. Just because someone is on the dole doesn't mean they should be prioritised in getting a job. They should have to get up off their ass and earn the place by being the best to apply.

I also applied and a letter came through telling me I'm on the panel. Unfortuneately I will have to reject the job if offered as I am busy with college stuff and my other job.

The census job was originally intended ONLY for people who are currently on the live register, but at the last second the plan was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Thank God. Surely they would have been in breach of many different laws...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wairky

Absolute joke i had everything skill sets they required except being unemployed , waste of a half day i took off work and then all i get is bull**** super vague letter say im on panel and may be contacted soon(how long is a piece of string). Waste of time dont know why i bothered when you are treated with so little respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

thats right, im bitter.
    :D:D Class

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement