Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

my bedroom which is half an office??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bugsie2011

sash wrote: »
    my bedroom which is half an office??

thats perfect for it. once the room can be locked and the only one with the key is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The supervisor called over to mine last night and just brought loads of stuff for me to sign like the contract and bank details etc and told me about what the training days will be about and explained a bit about the process. I didn't get my area yet but apparently you get a map but no house numbers so you have to be switched on to make sure you don't go to the wrong houses.

Also, apparently everyone of the enumerators is being given a mobile phone and you will have to send a text to the supervisor every time you go out. And also so you can give the number to members of the public and leave it on notes if you can't get anyone home.

He just had a quick look at the storage room and that was it. No need for filing cabinets or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Huntington

poppet84 wrote: »
    Ah well..that's me out! My interview was in Lucan and it was 2 men and they said they said one had 12 people working with them and the other had 11.
    I thought they were the supervisors? No?

No actually there were two lots of interviews going on in the Lucan Spa, mine was a man and woman, he was Clondalkin, she Lucan, but when she called 'round and showed me the map of all the area she was covering some of Lucan wasn't on it, Foxborough & Adamstown anyway so they are obviously the bits your lads have, so disregard my last post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

The supervisor called over to mine last night and just brought loads of stuff for me to sign like the contract and bank details etc and told me about what the training days will be about and explained a bit about the process. I didn't get my area yet but apparently you get a map but no house numbers so you have to be switched on to make sure you don't go to the wrong houses.

Also, apparently everyone of the enumerators is being given a mobile phone and you will have to send a text to the supervisor every time you go out. And also so you can give the number to members of the public and leave it on notes if you can't get anyone home.

He just had a quick look at the storage room and that was it. No need for filing cabinets or anything.
    thanks a mill for all that info!! where i am doing houses that is 4km dwn the road!serious ghost estates :( is their travel allowance for that or is it jus really rural! im sorry about all my questions just didnt expect to end up getting the job!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Whoaaa! This is a new one on me... anyone else confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

You get travel expenses in urban areas, just it's a set rate and mileage isn't taken into it, unlike our rural cousins.

Also yes, you get a phone and you text the CSO how many forms you handed out so they can see how things are going in their central database.

I'm after been offered another job since the supervisor called... So now i have three jobs and college. So i can't say they discriminated against the employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aniteoutcorp

Aineg wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything in the Carrick-On-Suir, kilsheelan area in Tipp??? Got the panel letter Monday!!

I also am in that area, got the letter on saturday last, my neighbour got a phone call for carrick-on-suir area on Friday last and got the job, as far as I am aware all positions are filled, (sorry to be the bearer of bad news)
    I am very disapointed, as I felt like many that the interview went very well.
    Congrats to all that got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

V480 wrote: »
    The census job was originally intended ONLY for people who are currently on the live register, but at the last second the plan was dropped.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bren_D

I got told we would be getting mobile phone. Its not to ring or text supervisor when you are going out etc. Its just a means of communicating with supervisor without having expense of using you own phone. I think you will have to use it to keep supervisor up to date how many forms you have delivered. Have to say fair play to the posters who have been kind to congratulate the people who have got calls and not received any themselves. I was posting before and after interviews like a lot of other people sharing what questions we were being asked etc. I think thanks to other posters I went into interview very prepared. Luckily I got job. Thanks to you all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DoloresR

Hi. Does anybody know when we will get paid. I had a look at the contract and it says we get €100 in arrears, is this every week or just a once off? And how long after completion do we get paid the balance? Is it a lump sum? My FS also told me we would get a mobile to text every day. I was giving a fuel allowance... do i get that before or after work is completed?

PS.... anyone else's FS a bit wierd?

It's 100euro every week, into your bank account, and then a lump sum at the end, not sure how long we'll be waiting for that.
    the car allowance for urban areas is a fixed sum of 294euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

sash wrote: »
    thanks a mill for all that info!! where i am doing houses that is 4km dwn the road!serious ghost estates :( is their travel allowance for that or is it jus really rural! im sorry about all my questions just didnt expect to end up getting the job!!

Yeah I live in the suburbs and was told there was a travel allowance of I think €249. I had to sign a form saying that if I wanted to use my car, I had my own insurance and I couldn't hold the CSO liable for any accidents that may happen when I was out delivering forms etc.

Yeah I live in the suburbs and was told there was a travel allowance of I think €249. I had to sign a form saying that if I wanted to use my car, I had my own insurance and I couldn't hold the CSO liable for any accidents that may happen when I was out delivering forms etc.

You need to check your insurance that you are insured to use the car for work, most policies are just social and personal, I rang mine yesterday (they said they'd had tons of calls from CSO people!) and I had to pay an extra 20euro, CSO are supposed to refund this.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

My boyfriend just got a call this morning - in the Monaghan area. Delighted - didn't think he'd get it becuase he told the interviewers he would be away for one of the weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

DoloresR wrote: »
    Hi. Does anybody know when we will get paid. I had a look at the contract and it says we get €100 in arrears, is this every week or just a once off? And how long after completion do we get paid the balance? Is it a lump sum? My FS also told me we would get a mobile to text every day. I was giving a fuel allowance... do i get that before or after work is completed?

PS.... anyone else's FS a bit wierd?
    I asked my fs about this, 100 a wk into bank account but of course it won't be the full 100euro cos will b taxed, social charge etc. Then bout a third of the way through when we have some of the forms delivered we will be paid more ie some of our expenses n some more wages. My fs not any weird tg, v helpful, recently unemployed herself so loadsa advise on money social welfare etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

I'm amazed at the bitterness from some people displayed here. If you apply for other jobs and get rejected, do you carry on the same way?

I asked my FS how did interviews go and what were they looking for etc. And he said it was simply the best candidates. Yes there was a high number of very highly qualified candidates like unemployed solicitors etc but having plenty of qualifications may not qualify you to do this job. He stated some of these applicants did not hide it very well that they looked down on this job and the FS's do not want people who will give that impression on the doorstep. And looking some of the comments here I can see where he is coming from.

Would I want someone calling to my door looking down his/her nose at me? No thank you.

Congratulations to the successful people and commiserations to those who didn't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Gar965

I was told by my supervisor that I will have 400 houses/apartments to complete within the 10 weeks. He said it doesnt matter if I get the job done in 5 weeks or 10 I will get the same money. He also said if I do find any new houses/apatments that are not on the map I will get a bonus for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

I asked my FS how did interviews go and what were they looking for etc. And he said it was simply the best candidates.

Well your FS is wrong. I only applied to get another project on my CV. I have Logistics qualifications. This project is defined (by CSO) as a Logistical program.

And fyi, bitterness has been mainly directed by unemployed heads towards people with a FT job.. as in "how dare you apply for this are you greedy?"

awful messin.

I'd love to know the background of some of these FS.. as in have they ever recruited or been a part of a recruitment drive before...??

i'd say the stats are frightenin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

I'd say personal communication skills are more relevant and important in this job than "logistical experience"

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭gonphishin

markfdrums wrote: »
    I'd love to know the background of some of these FS.. as in have they ever recruited or been a part of a recruitment drive before...??

i'd say the stats are frightenin.

Taken from the census website....

In order to conduct the successful delivery and collection of census forms to every household in the country, the CSO recruits a temporary field force of about 5,500 people. The recruitment is carried out in a pyramid structure, with 50 Senior Managers, 440 Field Supervisors, and 5,000 enumerators. The 50 senior manager positions were filled through open recruitment in June 2010. The Field Supervisor posts were filled through an open recruitment competition in November 2010 and the successful candidates took up their positions in January 2011.

The CSO directly recruits all the 5,500 field staff who work on the census. The recruitment is carried out in three phases using the people recruited first to assist in recruiting the next layer down. So, for example, we first recruit 50 senior managers who are given responsibility for different regions across Ireland; these people then assist in recruiting 440 field supervisors who are each responsible for managing a team of 10 or 11 enumerators. These field supervisors then assist in interviewing for the enumerator jobs.

Its all a pyramid structure and the field supervisors came from all sorts of backgrounds but had management experience and were probably unemployed at the time of their own recruitment. It was probably the same situation with the 50 senior managers themselves and i've heard that some of them have now quit for more permanent jobs.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gallimh girl

timmy00 wrote: »
    So Ive totally given up but thought Id ask anyway since there still seems to be hope out there1!!... Has anybody been notified from the Galway interviews?

a friend of mine got a call today, meeting arranged for tomorrow evening, so dont give up hope :)

Siobh73 wrote: »
    I'd say personal communication skills are more relevant and important in this job than "logistical experience"

Eh this isnt a sales job you do know that? Give me somebody that has an analytical brain and good sense of judgement over a happy smile any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 up tipp 2010

Markfdrums, we should wait until march 8th, when hopefully enumerators will come on here and post about the make up,i.e employed/unemployed breakdown of each enumerator.
    I also think that the whole selection process leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

The majority of the questions at my interview were concerned with how I would deal with aggressive people at the door, those suspicious of the need for the information asked for and those who would refuse to comply. I'd say dealing with those sorts of issues would take a bit of communication skill? Since when did only sales jobs require personal communication??

Markfdrums, we should wait until march 8th, when hopefully enumerators will come on here and post about the make up,i.e employed/unemployed breakdown of each enumerator.
    I also think that the whole selection process leaves a lot to be desired.

Would you be suggesting that only unemployed people should be allowed to apply for any job vacancy out there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 up tipp 2010

Would you be suggesting that only unemployed people should be allowed to apply for any job vacancy out there??
    What i am suggesting is that anyone should be allowed apply but not that civil servants in full time employment who have no experience of doing door to door work should be employed as census enumerators.
    I think that most people who are looking for a job would agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DoloresR

my f/s gave me the name, address and phone number of other enurmerators in my area.
    anyone elses do that???

• Advertisement

What i am suggesting is that anyone should be allowed apply but not that civil servants in full time employment who have no experience of doing door to door work should be employed as census enumerators.
    I think that most people who are looking for a job would agree with me.

Would you not mean that any person with a job without the experience of dealing with the public on a face to face basis shouldn't get the job? Or are you singling out people in public/civil service? And therefore implying it's only ok for someone in private sector to get a second job???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement