Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Anyone any idea what the take home pay for this is? After tax? I have 450 houses to do, well I live in one of them, so I suppose 449.

I am actually looking forward to getting stuck into it. Something different. Anyone do it in 2006? How long on average does each house take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 up tipp 2010

Would you not mean that any person with a job without the experience of dealing with the public on a face to face basis shouldn't get the job? Or are you singling out people in public/civil service? And therefore implying it's only ok for someone in private sector to get a second job???
    In the present climate, i am saying that people who are in full time employment should be discriminated against in relation to being employed as an enumerator if there are unemployed capable people available to do the job.
    The process of selection has not been fair, and i hope that as much info about people who were selected gets posted on here so as to highlight how unfair and time wasting the whole process was and hope that the census people will do a better job in their selection process the next time and make it fairer, equitable and transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

DoloresR wrote: »
    my f/s gave me the name, address and phone number of other enurmerators in my area.
    anyone elses do that???
    No....did she say why she gave you the numbers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

In the present climate, i am saying that people who are in full time employment should be discriminated against in relation to being employed as an enumerator if there are unemployed capable people available to do the job.
    The process of selection has not been fair, and i hope that as much info about people who were selected gets posted on here so as to highlight how unfair and time wasting the whole process was and hope that the census people will do a better job in their selection process the next time and make it fairer, equitable and transparent.

Well as a single parent who has sole custody but receives no support from my Childs mother or from state excluding childrens allowance plus tax free allowance, I come out with less than if I claimed dole plus rent allowance so I hope I somehow curry favour in your harsh eyes. And considering I work in housing for a local authority housing office so my job is mainly taken up with dealing with customers from wide ranging backgrounds and nationalities and would include house visits due to anti social activites so I'm actually wondering what job in the private sector would train you best to perform the duties of enumerator...But I rather this not become a public v private sector debate.

Person skills are key. Enumerators will meet challenges such as foreign nationals without local knowledge of the importance of the census or maybe a person who may not be able to read but can get aggressive
    Refusing to complete form rather than admit illiteracy. People will not include their partner on the rent in council houses to keep rent low or if claiming rent allowance in private accommodation so may be unwilling to give details. Or you could have a family who recently lost a family member and it's painful because they will not be included. So it's not always just a case of handing in form and collecting it.

As you are in full time employment i dont think you should get the job, and if you are trying to justify why you should get it on the basis that you have experience of dealing with difficult cases well in my opinion any reasonable and capable unemployed person could handle most difficult situations in a proper and reasonable manner even if they havent got experience because at the end of the day its all about common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

Deedsie wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what the take home pay for this is? After tax? I have 450 houses to do, well I live in one of them, so I suppose 449.

I am actually looking forward to getting stuck into it. Something different. Anyone do it in 2006? How long on average does each house take?

I did it in 2006 and I can't remember the final take home pay.

All of the questions that you are all asking will be answered at your training days - the FS will talk to you as a group & individually and will clear up anything that you need to know.
    The time to do each house/area depends on the people who live there. You are given the mobile so that after calling twice you can drop a note with your number & ask them to call you to arrange a time when they will be there for you to call. I have to say I had no problems with non-Irish people, they were well informed on the census & were delighted to fill it in & be of assistance.

I did have a big block of apartments but my FS contacted the Management company & got me a key to use if I needed. So I would initially use the buzzer and if that didn't work I would pop in & knock the door. It was fine. It is perceverance & that.

And at the training you will meet up with all of the enumerators in the area. I know also that in one enumerator's case they were finished handing their forms out before someone else, so the FS got them to help with the other person's. They would then have to collect them too. So the FS is just working on making sure that the work is done & if needs be, spreading some of it around.

As you are in full time employment i dont think you should get the job, and if you are trying to justify why you should get it on the basis that you have experience of dealing with difficult cases well in my opinion any reasonable and capable unemployed person could handle most difficult situations in a proper and reasonable manner even if they havent got experience because at the end of the day its all about common sense.
    That may be your opinion but it is everyones choice to apply for the jobs and in fairness, the FS have the task to ensure that they have the right people for the job. I can't see how you can make such assumptions that only unemployed people should get the job.
    It is not rocket science but it does take a certain type of person to do the job til the end, cos it is long and the hours can be long too. So the job should be awarded on display that you can perform well on the job, not because you are unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DoloresR

hotmama wrote: »
    No....did she say why she gave you the numbers??

He just said if I wanted to make myself known to the other people in the area. Jesus, hope he did not give my number to anyone! Not in this to make friends ;)

Robo, an unemployed person has a lot more time to do the job than an employed person and is no better or worse at doing the job than an employed person generally speaking. The job is not rocket science and unemployed people should have got first preference which hasnt happened. People will be shocked when they see who has got the jobs on March 8th.

Robo, an unemployed person has a lot more time to do the job than an employed person and is no better or worse at doing the job than an employed person generally speaking. The job is not rocket science and unemployed people should have got first preference which hasnt happened. People will be shocked when they see who has got the jobs on March 8th.

I hardly think that people will be shocked when they see who has the job. Part of the criteria for suitable candidates would have been flexibility and once a candidate is flexible on the work hours - weekends & evenings etc then they should get it done.

I know how much time an unemployed person has personallly speaking, but I don't believe that it should have been restricted to unemployed people. That is not very pro-choice & I think that we should be more of a pro-choice country. restricting it to people who are unemployed is not fair. And then do you say only those that were unemployed for a certain time frame etc. Also, if it was done for unemployed people through the Social Welfare system, could they be penalised if they didn't accept the job as they didn't feel suitable to the role etc. It is simpler and as I said more open if offered to all. I think that you are blowing it out of proportion with the employed V unemployed doing the job.

• Advertisement

Sorry now, but that is BS. I applied, I have as much right as anyone else to be given the opportunity. Some employed people don't make much more than the unemployed get on the dole, after tax, rent etc. Hard luck for not getting called. Best person for the job should always be the policy. There is always 2016, you can apply again then.

Congrats to all the other successful candidates.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Sorry now, but that is BS. I applied, I have as much right as anyone else to be given the opportunity. Some employed people don't make much more than the unemployed get on the dole, after tax, rent etc. Hard luck for not getting called. Best person for the job should always be the policy. There is always 2016, you can apply again then.

Congrats to all the other successful candidates.
    Deedsie, its very presumptious of you to say that i did not get the job, just ask me something that only people who got the job would know and you will only know then if i got the job or not.
    I learned that anyone who presumes something and is wrong that they are open to being called an ass.

Deedsie, its very presumptious of you to say that i did not get the job, just ask me something that only people who got the job would know and you will only know then if i got the job or not.
    I learned that anyone who presumes something and is wrong that they are open to being called an ass.

I think that you are doing a lot of pressuming yourself that people will be shocked.

Deedsie, are you going to admit you were wrong in your post?

Deedsie, for a person that has over 1660 posts on here it is a very bad reflection on the type of person you are when you are slow to admit that you were wrong in presuming that i didnt get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Uptipp 2010 and markfdrums have basically spent the last week filling this thread with nonsense. I hope a mod comes along soon enough and cleans it up as this has gone from a useful resource for those who applied for a census job to a mess where a couple of posters are constantly dragging it towards moaning about employed people having the temerity to apply for a job open to all.

Deedsie, are you going to admit you were wrong in your post?
    Deedsie, for a person that has over 1660 posts on here it is a very bad reflection on the type of person you are when you are slow to admit that you were wrong in presuming that i didnt get the job.

Gowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Huntington

Uptipp 2010 and markfdrums have basically spent the last week filling this thread with nonsense. I hope a mod comes along soon enough and cleans it up as this has gone from a useful resource for those who applied for a census job to a mess where a couple of posters are constantly dragging it towards moaning about employed people having the temerity to apply for a job open to all.

Totally agree. If you are bitter about not getting he job take it up with the CSO.

Anyway, does anyone think the length of time it's supposed to take seems excessive, 22 hrs a week for 4 weeks to deliver 450 forms, that's only about 5 houses an hour? I know you'd have to call back a few times to some but still seems a lot.
    Can anyone who did it in 2006 enlighten me?

Huntington wrote: »
    Totally agree. If you are bitter about not getting he job take it up with the CSO.

Anyway, does anyone think the length of time it's supposed to take seems excessive, 22 hrs a week for 4 weeks to deliver 450 forms, that's only about 5 houses an hour? I know you'd have to call back a few times to some but still seems a lot.
    Can anyone who did it in 2006 enlighten me?

You can't really pinpoint how long it can take - depends on how many people are at home when you call. For me, I would go out for 2-3 hours and I could have got 50 houses/apts or 10!! Obviously, you will get more coverage in the evening as most people are at home then, and comparing the time that I spent against getting people at their homes, I would say that evenings were more productive than weekends, but you need to do both.

With homes that you can't get anyone iin the evening & weekend, you may have to try at other times during the day.

Here is another tip that I picked up whilst working on it in 2006, if you feel that a house or apt is definitely empty, you can check on websites such as Daft & Myhome.ie to see if the house is in fact empty. You can then call the landlord or estate agent & confirm that no one is living there and that will mark the house off of your list, so you don't have to constantly call to it. I know it knocked about 3 apartments off of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Huntington

Robo when you say you might only get 10 house done, does that mean you just aren't getting a reply from 90% of them? Is that what's taking the time? Or do people delay you?
    I am hoping not to have to do too many weekends as my husband works weekends so glad to hear evenings are better. I'm actually hoping to do afternoons a bit as the estate I have would have very high unemployment so am hoping will be easy to get people at home.
    Thanks for the tip re the empties.

• Advertisement

Huntington wrote: »
    Robo when you say you might only get 10 house done, does that mean you just aren't getting a reply from 90% of them? Is that what's taking the time? Or do people delay you?
    I am hoping not to have to do too many weekends as my husband works weekends so glad to hear evenings are better. I'm actually hoping to do afternoons a bit as the estate I have would have very high unemployment so am hoping will be easy to get people at home.
    Thanks for the tip re the empties.

I had I think 300 houses/apts to do & there is no way that you can do that in one whole swoop as you need to take notes and tick boxes as you give out the forms - there is a lot of paper work & organistaion involved in doing this, so you need to be realistic with your goals when you go out. And yeh hit the ground running when you get your forms, but it is annoying when you need to keep calling back to a few houses as they are never there & you are pretty sure that someone is living there. You need to be 100% certain that a residence is empty. In the first few days you will have a good bit of success but as time goes on, it gets tiring but you have to keep pushing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks to the folks who have reported this thread - I wasn't reading it before, but am keeping an eye on it now.

I'm not going to delete things, 'cos I don't want to have to decide exactly where legitimate complaints end and childish whining starts.

But please - no more complaining: we've heard that some of you aren't happy, we don't need to hear it again and again.

If you have a complaint about the process, take it up with the CSO, or whoever appoints them, or your local TD.

Otherwise, please keep the thread on-topic of the jobs concerned, and all posts civil and helpful. Off topic and unhelpful posts will be deleted.

And for those of you who have the jobs, please remember the confidentiality clauses that I'm sure are in the contracts you signed. Undoubtedly some of you will be exposed to a side of life that you didn't previously know existed. Remember that boards may not be as anonymous as you think, and that sometimes the least said the better.

/moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

So who got the Sallins area?

I got a full time job today so im a bit chuffed and me big bunch of sour grapes dont taste as sour any more.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

gsxr1 wrote: »
    So who got the Sallins area?

I got a full time job today so im a bit chuffed and me big bunch of sour grapes dont taste as sour any more.:D

Very well done - Great to hear some good news!

I didnt get it, just got the panel letter but no call, so wont be doing Sallins either! Contact ending shortly so would have been very welcome. Who did get Sallins / Kildare??!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

I received a letter dated the 17th Feb, stating that i "have been placed on a panel for your area from which successful candidates will be offered an appointment shortly". It also says if i don't receive an offer within that period i will remain on a panel for consideration should any vacancies arise.

Does anyone know how long the shortly is? Is there a date where i should have heard something by eg 2 wks from date of letter or is there a specific date when everyone finds out?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭gonphishin

holuc wrote: »
    I received a letter dated the 17th Feb, stating that i "have been placed on a panel for your area from which successful candidates will be offered an appointment shortly". It also says if i don't receive an offer within that period i will remain on a panel for consideration should any vacancies arise.

Does anyone know how long the shortly is? Is there a date where i should have heard something by eg 2 wks from date of letter or is there a specific date when everyone finds out?

I think most places would have been allocated by now but you'll definitely see a few people dropping out which will leave some vacancies. This can happen right up till the end of march. After that point, if there's any people pulling out, the work will get passed over to existing enumerators to complete. There's still a good chance of getting a call between now and march 8th when training sessions are scheduled to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

thanks for that. awh well sure hopefully some1 drops out. was looking forward to doing the job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭gonphishin

Don't give up hope yet. This week is when you're most likely to get a call.
    You sound as if your really interested in doing the job so I'm sure that would have come across in the interview.
    I only got called myself last Wednesday afternoon and I've heard plenty of people still getting called.
    Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Grootbaas

I had a nice interview and also got the 'panel letter'. I do not think I got it because I suspect that once again (like so many other things in Ireland) it will be a buddy buddy thing. (If I still get a call I will feel like a complete clod.) Good luck to all who got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

hiya! does anyone know when do we get these boxes? are they delivered to our houses or do we bring them home at training days???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement