Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Huntington

sash wrote: »
    hiya! does anyone know when do we get these boxes? are they delivered to our houses or do we bring them home at training days???

I got mine on Friday. They are very big, 2 large crates plus my first box of forms. Also got a bag, highviz vest, clipboard etc. There is a very big manual too. I had a bit of a flick through it. There seems to be more admin than I was expecting. I was wondering why 2 days training were necessary but can see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

Huntington wrote: »
    I got mine on Friday. They are very big, 2 large crates plus my first box of forms. Also got a bag, highviz vest, clipboard etc. There is a very big manual too. I had a bit of a flick through it. There seems to be more admin than I was expecting. I was wondering why 2 days training were necessary but can see now.

oh great ! ha and who delivered the forms to your house was it? just wondering when il get mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

One thing I noticed that some people were saying that they were having just two half days training but my fs said that we have two full days training, anybody else have full days and does that mean that I have 16 hours out of next week's work done (just 6 left to do)??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

hotmama wrote: »
    One thing I noticed that some people were saying that they were having just two half days training but my fs said that we have two full days training, anybody else have full days and does that mean that I have 16 hours out of next week's work done (just 6 left to do)??

yeah i have two full days from 9.30 to 4.30! i dont know though what that means in regards hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bren_D

yeah i have two full days from 9.30 to 4.30! i dont know though what that means in regards hours!

I was told 2 full days - starting around 9.30 till 4ish. I asked my fs about the 22 hours that the CSO state that you are expected to do. She said it is entirely up to yourself. CSO reckon it takes 8-10 weeks at 22-24 hours per week. In her opinion it can take a lot less. I am going to blitz my area day after training and do as much as I can as quickly as possible. My fs said as soon as all delivered, put your feedt up till after census. My only concern is I got 3 small apartment blocks included in my area - don't know how that will pan out

• Advertisement

oh great ! ha and who delivered the forms to your house was it? just wondering when il get mine!

My FS. She rang on Monday, then called on Tuesday to sign contracts, she hadn't the boxes herself then so came back on Friday with those.
    there seem to be loads of different forms, also my area has a lot of properties that weren't there for the last census so you have to fill out a separate form for those.
    I am also doing 2 full days training, also have to meet my FS the morning after that to discuss my map and how I will approach doing it. Can't see it making any difference to the hours I'll be working though, you just have to do as many hours as it takes from what I can see. I would imagine 22 is worst case scenario though, I'm hoping it's a lot less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DoloresR

just wondering (and please dont shoot me down here) is there many people in full time employment doing this and how do you plan on doing the work? i.e. get in at 5pm go out at 6pm till ?9 x 5 days is only 15 hours... are you going to give up weekends or does that depend on how much you get done mon - fri?
    My fs is not very forthcoming with the answers i am asking him. :o

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

My training is only 2 half days. FS said that it could have been two days but he didn't think that was needed. I'm also doing it whilst working a full time job and I'm pretty much planning on playing it by ear. I presume I'll be doing a few evenings and some of the weekend. If it is slower than I assume, I guess I'll have to step that up.

I wouldn't worry too much until you start as it will become apparent what you need to do pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭gonphishin

I'm pretty sure that the 22hrs thing is just a rough guideline to give you an idea of how much work is expected. It's by no means set in stone. If you get everything done ahead of schedule then that's a bonus (metaphorically speaking)!
    All you have to do is get all your forms delivered before census day complete with paperwork. If you time your work for when most people are home, you'll get finished quicker. Problem is though, not everyones going to be available when you turn up which is where it gets messy. You can leave notes though and hopefully you'll get a call back. I'd say it'll be slightly more difficult if you've got your own commitments that need to be worked around (who doesn't) but it should be do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

DoloresR wrote: »
    just wondering (and please dont shoot me down here) is there many people in full time employment doing this and how do you plan on doing the work? i.e. get in at 5pm go out at 6pm till ?9 x 5 days is only 15 hours... are you going to give up weekends or does that depend on how much you get done mon - fri?

thanks
    First of all even though I am currently unemployed (at least until next Tuesday!), I don't think anyone who had the get up and go and work ethic to take on another job should EVER apologise, despite what some others may have said on this thread before but that has already been dealt with. I would imagine that you will at least have to do some weekends in order to get all your forms delivered and collected, it certainly was a point that was driven home to me during the interview-that I should do as many weekends as possible. Well done for getting the job;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Bren_D wrote: »
    I was told 2 full days - starting around 9.30 till 4ish. I asked my fs about the 22 hours that the CSO state that you are expected to do. She said it is entirely up to yourself. CSO reckon it takes 8-10 weeks at 22-24 hours per week. In her opinion it can take a lot less. I am going to blitz my area day after training and do as much as I can as quickly as possible. My fs said as soon as all delivered, put your feedt up till after census. My only concern is I got 3 small apartment blocks included in my area - don't know how that will pan out

I can understand your enthusiasm Bren, but a word of caution that you might want to think about, the earlier the forms are delivered the greater the chance that they will be mislaid/lost by the householders, resulting in more grief when you go back to collect them. I know it's not possible but the ideal thing would be to be able to deliver all the forms on Saturday April 9th. Just a word of caution, good luck with it.

Was thinking the same about forms being mislaid, I know they would be in my house if I got it a month in advance, especially with all the rubbish that comes through the door. I don't think our FS's would be too impressed though if they asked how we were getting on and we said we were leaving it all 'till the 9th, very risky strategy!
    I was told Sundays tend to be the most productive but I'm hoping to get most of mine done midweek, can only play it by ear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Huntington wrote: »
    I got mine on Friday. They are very big, 2 large crates plus my first box of forms. ...

You got the boxes and forms already! Nice one. I don't think I'll be getting mine til I do the training next week. Can't wait to get started!

thanks

When I done this back in 2006 I was working full time, I mostly went round for a couple hours in the evenings and then go on Saturdays and/or Sundays depending. You will get a feel for how its going as you go along. Once you get your map you can organise how you are going to spread your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Anybody here from Wexford or know the story with training in the area? Have not heard from my fs yet...

mirs wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone who was successful in getting this position rang their car insurance provider. And if so were you charged and how much. I know it will be paid by cso, but not loving avia at the mo and dont want them to get anymore cash because of greediness.

I did yea, Zurich through bestquote.ie, said they had had tons of calls about the same thing. I had to pay 20euro extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

V480 wrote: »
    Anybody here from Wexford or know the story with training in the area? Have not heard from my fs yet...

I got it in wexford, and when My supervisior was out with me on Feb 18th he said training would start on March the 8th, and it would be either a morning or afternoon.

Havnt heard a peep from him since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭evais

Hi this is my first time to post on this site, but I've been lurking here for a long time, on this thread in particular, which has been full of helpful tips about the enumerator position, which I've been successful in getting.

I currently work part-time, only 10-12 hours per week. My question is how do I handle the tax situation with the cso second job. Do I have to reassign my credits from my main job or can I take some of my hubbies and assign them to my cso job, as he is reduced to a 3 day week so doesn't need all of his credits at the moment. I'm useless when it comes to this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Does anybody have any idea when we might get paid some money for this, either the weekly 100 euro or the training/travel allowance? My Welfare has been stalled for a fortnight as it changes to a different system so kinda broke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thundercatho

Does anybody have any idea when we might get paid some money for this, either the weekly 100 euro or the training/travel allowance? My Welfare has been stalled for a fortnight as it changes to a different system so kinda broke!

Dont think you get it unil the end.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

With training next tues & wed and next weekend being first weekend that you can start delivering forms I'd imagine the first €100 could be next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I had posted earlier about accepting a position as Enumerator - well, I was (unexpectedly) called to an interview yesterday and was offered my dream job today, which meant that I had to pull out of working the census (made the call 20 minutes ago); the field supervisor actually sounded thrilled to hear my good news and said there would be no problem finding a replacement from those on the panel.

I'm only posted this to remind people on the panel that those who got the phone call will still drop out, even after training I imagine, if their circumstances change, so there will still be jobs offered over the coming weeks I am sure.

Congratulations on the job ionapaul!

They were discussing the census on 4live today, nothing interesting, as you'd expect, but good to see it mentioned. I hope they will be running an ad campaign so people know about it and are expecting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Congratulations ionapaul :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

Sorry for coming so late to this ...but I was interviewed and then got a letter which, to be honest, I did not understand. It said I was on a panel of successful applicants...what does this mean? Can anyone let me know? Can I forget about training next week? Does this, in fact, mean that I was unsuccessful?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Sorry for coming so late to this ...but I was interviewed and then got a letter which, to be honest, I did not understand. It said I was on a panel of successful applicants...what does this mean? Can anyone let me know? Can I forget about training next week? Does this, in fact, mean that I was unsuccessful?

Unfortunately if you haven't got a phonecall from your field supervisor yet, you were most likely unsuccesful. Sorry. :(

Although, you never know somebody might drop out between now and the Census and you could get a calll. It is a longshot but you never know.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭gonphishin

I would still hold out hope. Depending on your location there were between 3 and 5 applicants for each position. They leave 2 on the standby list. If someone drops out, they call in one of the standbys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 candylips

Unfortunately you wont get paid in the first week after training - its like working a week in hand - you should get €100 into your account round about 19th March. You get paid for the training at the end of summerization. good luck with the position.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I can understand your enthusiasm Bren, but a word of caution that you might want to think about, the earlier the forms are delivered the greater the chance that they will be mislaid/lost by the householders, resulting in more grief when you go back to collect them. I know it's not possible but the ideal thing would be to be able to deliver all the forms on Saturday April 9th. Just a word of caution, good luck with it.
    jeeze louise - are you for real, April 9th lol, what you got a helicopter and gonna throw em out over your area and hope for the best:rolleyes: seriously bad advise - the forms go out from next friday and believe me if you have 3-450 forms to deliver you better get your arse in gear - this aint a job for slackers - your job is to deliver - leave the worry of finding the form to the household!:cool:

He just said if I wanted to make myself known to the other people in the area. Jesus, hope he did not give my number to anyone! Not in this to make friends ;)
    calm down and take a deep breathe - thats better, firstly if you already have your work phone from cso, he has a right to give that number out to others - if not i think its unlikely a fs would give out other peoples personal phone numbers - His reasons for giving you the other enumerators numbers is that you are now a member of a team, and while you have a particular EA that you are soley responsible for, you have to remember that it will border other EA's and subsequently you will need to make contact with the enumerators in those areas specifically when unsure if a D Number is in your area. To those reading this who have not started there training apologies - all of it may sound a bit gobbledegook till you begin the training process :cool: And Dolores - is making friends so awful - this job can be a rewarding experience its why some people apply every 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

candylips wrote: »
    jeeze louise - are you for real, April 9th lol, what you got a helicopter and gonna throw em out over your area and hope for the best:rolleyes: seriously bad advise - the forms go out from next friday and believe me if you have 3-450 forms to deliver you better get your arse in gear - this aint a job for slackers - your job is to deliver - leave the worry of finding the form to the household!:cool:

Ah I wasn't suggesting waiting until the 9th, that would be stupid, it's just that if you give people a month to lose forms, a percentage undoubtedly will, just another pain in the butt when going out to collect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement