Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Trophywife

mirs wrote: »
    I didnt even get a manual before training tomorrow. can it be downloaded

I wouldnt worry about it. You'll get it tomorrow. FS will go through all you need to know. Don't think its available to download. Each FS has different ways of doing things and mine just gave them out early so we could look through it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 candylips

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    FS just called with boxes and sh1t, and a package containing a brand new Iphone 3gs 8gb* Yahfcukinhooooooooo! With an O2 sim.
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

*I jest.......:(

fantasy is good right:cool: just as long as reality is get the forms out and back :D oh and dont ring australia lol - most important you have a sense of humour no wonder you got the job

Trophywife wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry about it. You'll get it tomorrow. FS will go through all you need to know. Don't think its available to download. Each FS has different ways of doing things and mine just gave them out early so we could look through it first.

nice to see your in good form again :) and giving out helpful advice too maybe your a FS lol:cool:

mirs wrote: »
    I didnt even get a manual before training tomorrow. can it be downloaded

Each FS has their own ways of training - im sure maps and manuals will be given to you at training so relax and enjoy your last night of freedom for the next 10 weeks lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

HI I got only 300 census forms wondering will this effect my pay? i thought everyone got 400!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DoloresR

Any one tell me what time training starts at in the morning? Is it 9.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭midgej

CaseyBabes wrote: »
    My FS delivered my two boxes last week. I only opened them up yesterday to have a flick through the manual in advance of training. I have the enumerator's book which lists all the dwellings I have to visit and reference is made to my map but there certainly isn't a map included in my box, I've looked everywhere. Will obviously ask the question at training tomorrow but just wondering should I have received it by now? See some of you have got your phones already which I haven't, so maybe each FS just does it differently? Just hoping my map hasn 't gone missing, although my boxes were in a locked room since delivery so they certainly weren't removed.
    sash wrote: »
    HI I got only 300 census forms wondering will this effect my pay? i thought everyone got 400!!

It looks like my FS took a little more time than others to explain little things. Most FS's only give you your map & phone at the training because these are the only things that can't be replaced, so they don't want to give them in advance. Every enumerator is just given 300 forms to begin with, and the remainder are provided at a later stage.

Good luck to everyone with the training & the job, hopefully we'll get all the forms given out in super quick time and won't encounter too many weirdos along the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭midgej

DoloresR wrote: »
    Any one tell me what time training starts at in the morning? Is it 9.30am?

Not sure if everywhere is the same or not, but my training is def at 9.30 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Huntington

midgej wrote: »
    Not sure if everywhere is the same or not, but my training is def at 9.30 anyway.

All different, mine in Lucan, is 9am, I know one in Wicklow is 9.15. Also a girl I know doing it in Galway only has 2 half days training whereas mine are full days AFAIK, strange, you'd think it would all be the same.

Huntington wrote: »
    All different, mine in Lucan, is 9am, I know one in Wicklow is 9.15. Also a girl I know doing it in Galway only has 2 half days training whereas mine are full days AFAIK, strange, you'd think it would all be the same.

the training is meant to be 9 hours in all - but how its delivered sometimes depends on availability of training venues and also the FS preference - mine is on at 9.30 but also some are on in the afternoon at 2pm :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

midgej wrote: »
    It looks like my FS took a little more time than others to explain little things. Most FS's only give you your map & phone at the training because these are the only things that can't be replaced, so they don't want to give them in advance. Every enumerator is just given 300 forms to begin with, and the remainder are provided at a later stage.

Good luck to everyone with the training & the job, hopefully we'll get all the forms given out in super quick time and won't encounter too many weirdos along the way :D

I was told the Manual and ERB also can't be replaced.

I got 480 forms straight away, i have 430 houses in my area, so i'd hazard a guess and say that if you got 300 forms you have around 250 or so houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Trophywife

First day of training done. Was really good meeting with others who have done this before and I've a better feel for what the job entails.

Got my ERB and Maps. I've 484 D Nos. in my book, which includes a hotel!! I'm gonna treat myself and hubby to a meal out this evening cos it looks like I won't have much of a life for the next 10 weeks!!! lol

Ours was pretty dull, had so many breaks too, if they'd just got down to it we could have had it all done easily in one day.

Was good to meet the others though and it's much easier to know what you are doing once you see your map and book.

I was told the Manual and ERB also can't be replaced.

I got 480 forms straight away, i have 430 houses in my area, so i'd hazard a guess and say that if you got 300 forms you have around 250 or so houses.

As the Red boxes had 300 forms in each at delivery to fs, most fs are waiting to distribute more when needed - depending on each EA size and need. Some areas also have more holiday homes and vacant houses than others those will therefore require more Reconsiliation forms than household forms. Most EA's will have at least 300 dwellings - this will require either a household form or a reconsiliation form for the end process.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Got 453. Had 2 days training yesterday and today 9 to 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DesertMoon

Hi,
    Hope you don't mind me joining in here. Does anyone know when we get first pay?? Skint at the moment!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭gonphishin

DesertMoon wrote: »
    Hi,
    Hope you don't mind me joining in here. Does anyone know when we get first pay?? Skint at the moment!:o

You should get €100 every Friday starting next week (18th march). You MUST send in your hours to your FS every friday or saturday morning at the latest by text or you won't get paid the following Friday. At the very end of the period you'll get a lump sum with all your expenses and payments for forms delivered and collected less the €100 p/w that you've already received taken off.
    I think there's some extra bonus midway that is paid but not sure of the details on this one. It's on the cso website though.

I was in the tax office and was told that I needed to supply them with the VAT number for paye purposes so that I wouldn't go onto emergency tax. I rang my FS and got the number pretty quick but I can't remember it as I just repeated it to the tax clerk and didn't write it down.
    HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

Trophywife wrote: »
    First day of training done. Was really good meeting with others who have done this before and I've a better feel for what the job entails.

Got my ERB and Maps. I've 484 D Nos. in my book, which includes a hotel!! I'm gonna treat myself and hubby to a meal out this evening cos it looks like I won't have much of a life for the next 10 weeks!!! lol

How many people on the course have worked on Cencus before? What is the average age? How many on the course are unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

sam27 wrote: »
    How many people on the course have worked on Cencus before? What is the average age? How many on the course are unemployed?

Only a couple had worked on it before. The majority seemed to be either not working or only doing so part time. And the majority were middle-aged but there were still a few younger people.

For what it's worth, our FS said on Tuesday that one of teh main reasons that people got the job was because they displayed strong levels of common sense. And that it was all about how you performed in the interview and not whether you had done the census previously.

3 out of 12 of ours had done it before, all retired women. the FS hadn't done it either which I think is crazy. At 38 I was the 2nd youngest, none of the 12 had a full time job, all retired, housewives or unemployed.

• Advertisement

Cheers. What did they say in relation to those unemployed and signing on? Can they still keep some of their money or do they have to sign off completely.
    I am just wondering as I did the interview and unemployed looking for work. Needless to say I did not get the job!!! I still believe that someone like myself should be chosen before any retired person!!

I agree that they should have given the jobs to the unemployed.
    Not 100% sure as it doesn't apply to me but I heard that they take it you will do 22 hours a week and they treat that as 3 days work no matter how you split it up and your benefit will be affected accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Hi all, congrats to those who got the work, I missed out, even though I have market research business that i started last year, 10 years plus career etc in the industry. I applied as business is tough and I thought it would be good money and good experience.
    As usual in this country there is something very rotten with the system, most here im sure got the job on their merits, but on my experience in the waiting room there were 7 candidates, 4 retired teachers, 2 retired council workers and a housewife. When we got spilt up for each interview, one of the teachers told me he had done it before and was very sure he was getting it again. He told me he wanted to get it done before going on holidays in May!:eek: To me this is sick, I have a friend who has 8 euro a week left after paying all his bills, while this guy wants the money to go to Florida! when did the country become so fkd up?
    Anyhow, I am very glad for most who got it, i would recommend the cso website actually for helping ye compile the work as well for examples, and in my experience of this work be very strict with your time and keep track of what your doing, this way you will get the most done in the least time.
    On a final note, I am sending FOI to CSO next week once I have my form filled out. I will keep ye up to date on what I find... good luck to those that got it:)

agree with you totally

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jambon29

Lads i'm doing the census but i'm after having a mind blank. In the household forms I give out do i fill in the address before giving out the form or can i do it when they give me back the form. Also do I have to fill in the small area code and D number before I give out the form or can i wait until they give back the form to me. I was'nt listening i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

hi, i got one of the enumerators positions, have completed the training, have all the gear at home and was ready to go tomorrow, i got an interview today and was more or less told i got the job from next week, i hate messing it about but will have to tell the field supervisor tomorrow that i cant do the census job. i just hope they have a back up plan. i had told the supervisor that i was interviewing today at the training on tuesday.

jambon29 wrote: »
    Lads i'm doing the census but i'm after having a mind blank. In the household forms I give out do i fill in the address before giving out the form or can i do it when they give me back the form. Also do I have to fill in the small area code and D number before I give out the form or can i wait until they give back the form to me. I was'nt listening i'm afraid.

all has to be filled in before handing over the form.

touchwood wrote: »
    hi, i got one of the enumerators positions, have completed the training, have all the gear at home and was ready to go tomorrow, i got an interview today and was more or less told i got the job from next week, i hate messing it about but will have to tell the field supervisor tomorrow that i cant do the census job. i just hope they have a back up plan. i had told the supervisor that i was interviewing today at the training on tuesday.

Why don't you just do both?

because the other job is full time which for the first six months will require the minimum of 45hrs per week. i also have a young family.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. It will obviously be hassle for your FS but stuff like this happens so I'm sure they have prepared for it.

And the good news is that someone else will get an opportunity to get the job which is great for them.

Congratulations on getting the job btw... although I'd want to be 100% that I got the other job before quitting this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement