Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

i am meeting with the fs tomorrow and should know by then if i have it. was looking forward to doing the census job, and willing to talk whoever takes it up through it. i got an area around where i live so would be able to help the new person with the map and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭gonphishin

I am sending FOI to CSO next week
    )

????

Just wondering what FOI means.
    Sorry for being thick!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Huntington

gonphishin wrote: »
    ????

Just wondering what FOI means.
    Sorry for being thick!!!:)

Freedom of Information.
    Under the FOI act, as it is a government position, I think you'd be entitled to see notes on your interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jambon29

touchwood wrote: »
    all has to be filled in before handing over the form.
    What about the person's name on the top of the form, do i have to fill in that or can i do it after?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 frecklesjack

You don't put the name on the top of the form - just the address!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I'm receiving social welfare, now I have already informed them I am doing the census job but do I have to go to the Tax Office aswell???

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

notsobusy wrote: »
    I'm receiving social welfare, now I have already informed them I am doing the census job but do I have to go to the Tax Office aswell???

Yup otherwise you'll be put on emergency tax, just ring your local tax office with your PPS number and give them the employer tax number ( you'll get this off your FS) and they will issue you with a tax free allowance certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

touchwood wrote: »
    hi, i got one of the enumerators positions, have completed the training, have all the gear at home and was ready to go tomorrow, i got an interview today and was more or less told i got the job from next week, i hate messing it about but will have to tell the field supervisor tomorrow that i cant do the census job. i just hope they have a back up plan. i had told the supervisor that i was interviewing today at the training on tuesday.

First of well done on the new job! And don't worry about if your FS doesn't have a back up plan, they'll go to their panel from the interviews and see who is next on their list.:) This is why they send out the pannel letter, because people drop out and it makes sure that they aren't in **** creek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Trophywife

sam27 wrote: »
    How many people on the course have worked on Cencus before? What is the average age? How many on the course are unemployed?

Maybe if you could spell census you might have gotten the job!! :P

Joking aside...4 out of 11 had worked on it before. Was a couple of housewives and a few retired people, average age was in the 40's i'd say and I was one of the youngest along with another guy, everyone else was between 40-60. I'm 26 and employed full-time. I must have came across well in the interview because I'm not even from the area originally and only living here a few years and they gave me a job. All of the enumerators in my area were the top of the panel and no one declined the position.

Just because a person is unemployed doesn't mean they should be automatically given a job, thats prejudicial against employed people.

Hi all, congrats to those who got the work, I missed out, even though I have market research business that i started last year, 10 years plus career etc in the industry. I applied as business is tough and I thought it would be good money and good experience.
    As usual in this country there is something very rotten with the system, most here im sure got the job on their merits, but on my experience in the waiting room there were 7 candidates, 4 retired teachers, 2 retired council workers and a housewife. When we got spilt up for each interview, one of the teachers told me he had done it before and was very sure he was getting it again. He told me he wanted to get it done before going on holidays in May!:eek: To me this is sick, I have a friend who has 8 euro a week left after paying all his bills, while this guy wants the money to go to Florida! when did the country become so fkd up?
    Anyhow, I am very glad for most who got it, i would recommend the cso website actually for helping ye compile the work as well for examples, and in my experience of this work be very strict with your time and keep track of what your doing, this way you will get the most done in the least time.
    On a final note, I am sending FOI to CSO next week once I have my form filled out. I will keep ye up to date on what I find... good luck to those that got it:)

You can't be giving out about someone who is working to earn an extra few bob to be able to afford to go on holidays. People are entitled to spend they're hard earned cash on what ever they want. If that retired teacher was a better candidate for the job than you, you shouldn't be bitter about it. The FS's knew what they were looking for and picked people accordingly. It just shows how bitter you are now to be coming on this and giving out about it. Let it go and put your energy into finding another job. Don't dwell on what might have been. It's only part-time for 10 weeks so your not missing much!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

O noo u goot ma their !!!! :p

In todays current climate, the Govt should be doing everything in its power to make sure that unemployed people find jobs and in relation to this CENCUS, it was a perfect opportunity for people on the Live Register be given the opportunity to go out and work. Possibly they should have regulated to make sure that at least 75% of Enumerator positions would be filled by people on Live Register.( I might even argue 100%) Again, this is only my opinion!!!

Trophywife wrote: »
    You can't be giving out about someone who is working to earn an extra few bob to be able to afford to go on holidays. People are entitled to spend they're hard earned cash on what ever they want. If that retired teacher was a better candidate for the job than you, you shouldn't be bitter about it. The FS's knew what they were looking for and picked people accordingly. It just shows how bitter you are now to be coming on this and giving out about it. Let it go and put your energy into finding another job. Don't dwell on what might have been. It's only part-time for 10 weeks so your not missing much!!!

On a lovely pension!!! Any retired people should have been excluded from this job. Give it to unemployed who are struggling every week!!

Have mixed feeling about the unemployed thing. Of course it makes sense for them to get the job but at the same time I'd be a bit peeved if I had missed out to a less able person just because they were out of work. If I'd been doing the interviews I have to say I'd have been reluctant to give it to people in full-time jobs as I'd be afraid they wouldn't have the time and would end up falling behind in the work.

Yeah that's your opinion and your entitled to it. I just don't think it is the best way to get a capable reliable person into the job, just because someone's unemployed doesn't mean they're suitable for the job. The CSO must agree with me because they didn't do what you've been suggesting. Thats just my opinion though!! :)

Huntington wrote: »
    Have mixed feeling about the unemployed thing. Of course it makes sense for them to get the job but at the same time I'd be a bit peeved if I had missed out to a less able person just because they were out of work. If I'd been doing the interviews I have to say I'd have been reluctant to give it to people in full-time jobs as I'd be afraid they wouldn't have the time and would end up falling behind in the work.

I am employed full time and its will be hard to get the job done but its achievable. Have to give up my evenings and weekends for this but I need the money. Its not only unemployed people who are strapped for cash unfortunately!!

yes i agree.

I attended for interview. Am unemployed, have over 10 years experience in working in offices, hold a degree and was placed on the panel. I was now waiting to see who calls to my door. I wont be impressed if it is a retired teacher!!!!

I am employed full time and its will be hard to get the job done but its achievable. Have to give up my evenings and weekends for this but I need the money. Its not only unemployed people who are strapped for cash unfortunately!!

Oh yes, it can be done, of course and I'm sure you will do it, but given the choice I'd prefer to employ someone with more free time in case they do fall behind and so be able to put in extra hours at the end, or give others a dig out if needed.

Doesn't matter who it is. You shouldn't hold the fact that they got the job over you against them. You win some you loose some, thats life!! I'm off to work now...in the rain....its not all that good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Having been unemployed for over a year, you have no idea how much of a boost to my confidence, self-esteem and personal motivation I have gained through getting this job. I'd be financially better off staying on the live register but for the sake of my sanity I have signed off for the duration of the Census and am hoping this boost will lead to bigger and better things.

That's why I think the jobs should have been targeted at the unemployed. It is a dark and lonely place to be when you are used to the working environment.

Doesn't matter who it is. You shouldn't hold the fact that they got the job over you against them. You win some you loose some, thats life!! I'm off to work now...in the rain....its not all that good!!

When a person retires, they retire!!!! They should not come back and take up jobs that can be taken by people who can. They had their chance in life to make money

• Advertisement

Get a life and stop giving out about the fact that you weren't picked!!!! Its sad!!

Siobh73 wrote: »
    Having been unemployed for over a year, you have no idea how much of a boost to my confidence, self-esteem and personal motivation I have gained through getting this job. I'd be financially better off staying on the live register but for the sake of my sanity I have signed off for the duration of the Census and am hoping this boost will lead to bigger and better things.

That's why I think the jobs should have been targeted at the unemployed. It is a dark and lonely place to be when you are used to the working environment.

Well done Siobh...delighted for you. :D

How are you getting on so far?? Worked most of today...its more tiring than I expected and I think I got frostbite in my hands!! lol

Get a life and stop giving out about the fact that you weren't picked!!!! Its sad!!

:D No comment!!

Well done Siobh...delighted for you. :D

How are you getting on so far?? Worked most of today...its more tiring than I expected and I think I got frostbite in my hands!! lol

Unfit are we??? Obviously the FS might just have picked the wrong person for the job!!! :eek:

sam27 wrote: »
    Unfit are we??? Obviously the FS might just have picked the wrong person for the job!!! :eek:

Bitterness is it??? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lou_s

[QUOTE=Trophywife;70872087]
    ''I spoke with the partners today and they explained to me that the money just isn't there to give me a pay increase, and that I should start looking for a job else where as they aren't in a position to be paying four qualified people now or anytime in the foreseeable future. So that what I'm gonna do.''

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Hi Trophywife, Thanks for the support. Going well so far - did a few hours yesterday and 2 good stints today. It is definitley more time consuming than you would think - you really have to spend time making sure some people know what is expected of them. It really is a job for someone with good communication skills! How are you finding it?

I think the girls are finding it tough all ready"""""" and its only day two!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

wow bitter is thy name! Just to let u know 'girls' and of course guys (i don't discriminate) that i started another thread to SUPPORT enumerators if u r interested 'calling all census enumerators 2011'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Earlier in the thread, I gave out a warning about bitch*ing about missing out on positions and who should/should not have got them. Am less than impressed to have been called back again.

Because it's different people, I'm not handing out warnings (yet). But I am going to lock this thread, because it's going nowhere.

Census staff: there's another thread that someone started where you can discuss the work etc. Non staff who post there will be dealt with appropriately.

/moderation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement