Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Jobs with CSO for 2011 Census

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JonnyK

I know,

It's a bit of a mess.

Strange way to go about hiring people. Could've been done a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Dymo wrote: »
    I don't know why they just could'nt send letters out and just let people accept them in a time frame instead of this waiting by the phone.

Believe me, if you get the job, you'll find yourself saying this alot!!

At the end of the last census, I sent in a list of about 25 things I thought they could do better & far more efficently & cheaply (they didn't look for this & it was probably just thrown in the bin). I will be interesting to see if anything has been taken on board....I still have the list!!

I know we call our own list of enumerors last time & I had my whole list done in about an hour or so & letters in the post to them that night - I wanted to make sure I had my team on board ASAP.

Oh and - Bud6...well done

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tarahill

Hi all

The calls are very slow to people I see from the posts.

The first calls are coming from dublin I Think. I got my first call from there last thursdat pm.This am I got a call from the man who will be the manager saying he was just giving me a ring to say hello and that was delighted to see I was on his list of field supervisors I take from the conversation we had he hadnt a clue who was getting the jobs and he only got the list this am. so whatever way they do it is a bit weird, that call came from the local area code where he is based. he just said we will start on january 10th with training. and that he would be in contact before then.

Im keeping the fingers crossed for you all.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Dymo

Is that then the case that for all of your area "the calls" have been made and the Regional manager has a list of who he's in charge of?

The progress seems so slow for people on this thread it isn't looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caitb

Still no call what a way for people to be left:o

• Advertisement

I know,

It's rubbish.

I was meant to have an interview for primary teaching college tomorrow and it's been postponed till mid January. Bloody annoying as have been doing loads of prep and had built myself up for it (especially as half is in Irish).

Baiscally, I'm waiting for a call that doesn't look like coming and was waiting on an interview that's been put back!!

Still time and will remain semi-positive!!

Hope we get the news we're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bud6

good for you jonnyk, stay positive! i think that it is a haphazard way to recruit but i have a feeling that it will be drawn out for a while yet. This weather is also becoming a bit of a pain - the man who rang me yesterday was in Swords office and i know the weather is diabolical in Dublin so my guess is that they'll have gone home by now. Keep the spirits up guys, i feel the frustration

Cheers Bud6.

Well done on getting the job.

I used to love the snow! Having said that, I'd love a bit in Carlow now that inerview has been postponed.

Will enjoy a few drinks tonight as I was too good over the weekend!

Hey all,

Doesn't sound like anyone heard anything today?

Just called CSO recruitment and no answer on any line. Presumably they've gone home due to weather and maybe they won't be in tomorrow either. Will give them a call tomorrow to check.

Gives us hope as the weather is probably delaying appointments. Also the 01 89 number mentioned earlier is their Swords office.

Still no snow in Carlow, hard to believe it is so mad in Dublin which is less than an hour away!

They seem to have a new website too where they will be recruiting the emumerators http://census.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sby

Well here's to another day of waiting although I'm thinking if haven't heard at this stage I won't be, especially if the regional managers are ringing to introduce themselves.

Hey all,

Just called CSO Recruitment. Seems as if most positions have been filled and they are awaiting a few others to confirm.

Anyone, including me, who haven't been contacted are unlikely to get job. Only chance now is if few people don't take jobs or pull out close to starting date.

Seems as if that's it. Perhaps if someone else wanted to call to check but that's what I was told.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sby

Ah well, that's disappointing but at least we know now. Thanks for ringing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Thanks for that, JonnyK - much better to know now and move on. Hope everyone has a good Xmas and a fruitful new year.

Feck it lads and lassies,

We did well to get onto panel after over 7000 applicants.

Still a pain to know we were so close yet so far.

Happy Christmas to everyone and enjoy the holidays.

Hope 2011 is good to you all.

Let me know if anyone sneaks a place in towards the end - you never know!

Happy Christmas.

id say most people that have been offered the job like myself are still constantly looking for full time employment and will continue to do so. a full time position is what we are all hoping for at the end of the day and we are all doing whatever we can until that happens. So dont give up hope a lot of field supervisors may either not start or will get employment else where so then next on panel is in.

hope ye all have a great xmas im skint no pressies for anyone this year im afraid but they all know so it wont be a surprise.thats life at the minute for most.

HAPPY XMAS AND NEW YEAR.

do keep the old posts coming, let us know if ye have any news,
    :)
    by the way is anyone on the thread doing their training in mullingar in january?

Don't know why they sent out so many letters, out of the 20+ people on this thread who got letters only 3 people were offered places. I presume the pool for places is really small when you consider there was probably about 50% of people who done it before who applied.

tarahill, my training is apparently taking place in Tullamore on 10th Jan so i won't have far to go. Like you, Christmas is very low key in our house this year.
    i'd just like to say that i'm very sorry you othrs on this thread haven't heard anything at this stage but i hope that you enjoy the festive season and that 2011 will see many of you getting employement. Is anyone thinking of going for the enumerator positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

It’s my understanding that all job offers have now been made and accepted. So it looks like the only chance ‘the panel’ people now have is that some of those appointed don’t take up their jobs.

I have to say I think the CSO went about the advising of people in a pretty ham fisted way, from the obscure ‘panel’ letter to subsequently leaving people on tentherhooks, not knowing whether they are in the running or not. People here on Boards have kept each other pretty much up to date, but there will probably be lots more going through Christmas still hoping, which isn’t a great position to be left in. It would also appear, judging by the number of people here who got them, that significant numbers got ‘the panel’ letter, probably far more than needed to meet their requirements.

Hard luck to all those who were unsuccessful, and the best of luck in your New Year job hunting.

Finally, congrats to tarahill, Little A (didn’t I tell you you were a shoo in) and bud6 – we’ll all be looking critically at the census output to make sure you did a good job.

Happy Christmas and prosperous New Year to all

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caitb

Thanks everyone for all the info unfotunately no call but i'll get over it.Well done Tarahill,Little A and bud6 maybe will come across each other I think i'll apply for the enumerator job 10 weeks better than no weeks.
    Happy Christmas all.:)

• Advertisement

Well done to the three amigos as well!!

I'll also go for the enumerator job - surely we'll get that as we were on panel for supervisor job!

Happy Christmas everyone.

never know we could meet yet, we havent been told our area, I was asked at the interview would I mind if the area was not the one I lived in so god knows where they have in mind for us. did any of the other 2 amigos or anyone else that done interview get asked that?

anyway good luck god knows a few positions may become available over the next few weeks.

cheers all Happy Xmas to all and your families :rolleyes::eek:

i was asked at interview how i would cope with an area in which i had done some work before(had done some long term subbing, came across some parents whose little Johnnys could do no wrong). the area is about 15 miles from my home but it was just a hypothetical question really. its hard to believe that so few of us got calls, you'd think that people on this thread would have a competetive advantage so to speak with the ongoing communication about the interviews etc.:(
    Anyway, on a lighter note, Merry Christmas to you all, keep safe on the roads, hope Santa is kind to everyone!:)

bud6 wrote: »
    i was asked at interview how i would cope with an area in which i had done some work before(had done some long term subbing, came across some parents whose little Johnnys could do no wrong). the area is about 15 miles from my home but it was just a hypothetical question really. its hard to believe that so few of us got calls, you'd think that people on this thread would have a competetive advantage so to speak with the ongoing communication about the interviews etc.:(
    Anyway, on a lighter note, Merry Christmas to you all, keep safe on the roads, hope Santa is kind to everyone!:)

dont know bud6 they asked me the same would I mind working in an area that I too worked in 4 years ago, so who know its about 25 miles from where I live. time will tell i guess. it is hard to believe that only a few of us on this site got positions

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭65bl

Sorry for being so late coming to this thread. I recieved letter saying i was on panel in the week before xmas but my first instinct was it is a very polite fail. As yet i have recieved no call and really dont expect one. If there is a job then it has been offered to someone else by now! Congratulations to all who have been offered jobs and i hope it all goes well.
    I too did my interview in Mullingar and whilst i feel i did all right, i did make a minor faux pas - i didnt read the back off the interview letter and did not know about the passport. By amazing coincidence i had passport in car and duly brought it in but i knew i created a poor impression. say la vie
    I will of course apply for tne enumerators post and, like others before, hope the fact that i got a supervisors interview will bode well.
    As it happens i have now been unemployed foe exactly 12 months. As i do each interview i'am afraid my confidence diminishes and it shows ( or i make simple mistakes) - how times have changed.

bl

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lou15e

Hi Guys
    Thanks for keeping me up to date with what was going on on the Field Supervisor positions

Well I got the letter as well, but no call .
    I had to carry my phone around in the heat of the Feuertventura Sun
    I could only just in and out of the sea for quick dips.
    But had a good long swin on christmas eve and every day since
    So back to the old grind stone on Thursday

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice on here
    and good luck to those who got the jobs and more luck the everyone who didnt

Regards

LOU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 schmann

I too think that they made a bollix of the way they went about the recruitment, sending out letters giving people hope. I'm thinking of just not filling in the fecking form now for the way they treated us all. HAH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gazzumped

Seems to me that most (if not all) people who got the FS jobs were previously employed as same.

A bit of a farce really for the rest of us - we could have saved ourselves the bother and the lingering false hope :mad:

It must have been obvious as early as the application stage - and definitely by the interviews - that they had enough people to cover all of the areas. If some extras were necessary for insurance, then a letter saying that should have been issued and not the one that kept everybody on stand-by in the run up to Christmas.

I imagine there are even yet some people still waiting in hope ... :(

Very poorly done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

Gazzumped wrote: »
    Seems to me that most (if not all) people who got the FS jobs were previously employed as same.

A bit of a farce really for the rest of us - we could have saved ourselves the bother and the lingering false hope :mad:

Just having done it before wasn't an automatic pass, they still had to interview just the same.
    Yes they had a better chance of picking up the marks for knowledge of the census, but newbies who had their research done could have done just as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gazzumped

wench wrote: »
    Just having done it before wasn't an automatic pass, they still had to interview just the same.
    Yes they had a better chance of picking up the marks for knowledge of the census, but newbies who had their research done could have done just as well.

As a previous 'knowledgable' poster said on this very thread, those who did the job before were a 'shoo-in'. I don't have a huge problem with that - makes sense to appoint those who know what to do and have succeeded in the past.

Speaking personally, I researched every last piece of census information available, ticked every experience/education box (and more besides) and the interview went as well as any I've ever done. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

It still doesn't excuse the very poorly organised and managed end to the recruitment process ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement