Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POLICE car in Donegal Town??

Options
  • 10-09-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Live up a back road just outside town. Just had a POLICE (not Garda ) car and several luxury cars with numbers on the side cone up here and turn round. Police car blues and twos going. Anyone any idea what the event is ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Get some pics! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

irish1967 wrote: »
    Live up a back road just outside town. Just had a POLICE (not Garda ) car and several luxury cars with numbers on the side cone up here and turn round. Police car blues and twos going. Anyone any idea what the event is ??

You OK? Typos are not the norm for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

ah balls i thought this was supposed to be on sunday :( was going to take a run over to it with the camera, loads of fancy cars that you very rarely get to see there is a cannonballrun this weekend with ferrarri's lamberghini's and the likes was to be in donegal town at half 1, the car you seen was most likley an immiation police car done up like that for the event! Its for charity barrettstown in dublin.

http://www.cannonball.ie/home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Videoed using phone. I'll put up some stills but they were a bit far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cannonball run supposed to be in town after lunch at solis

Yep, cannonballers! :)

I know it's only vaguely connected, but thought ye might appreciate a cannonball-ish thread that's running in the photography forum! :)

I take it this is the car you seen Irish, When i first seen the thread title i thought you ment another scenario like what we had with the police (as in from the north) doing the checkpoint just over the border then going into the local shop, lol.

photo.php?pid=4727848&id=513134705photo.php?pid=4727734&id=513134705

damit thats twice the pic wouldnt work, anyways heres a direct link to it.... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4727847&id=513134705#!/photo.php?pid=4727722&id=513134705&ref=fbx_album&fbid=434380634705

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

first thought it was <SNIP> but having checked the photo its cannonball

Mod edit: Think before you post please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Don't the Gardai take a dim view of non emergency vehicles using blue lights?
    It seems that vintage or reproduction police cars must have the blues either removed or covered on public roads.

stoneill wrote: »
    It seems that vintage or reproduction police cars must have the blues either removed or covered on public roads.

They do as far as i know but for these kinda things as long as they dont bother people they dont mind, there are some cases where they wont mind this being one of them where its for charity ect. I know a fella who done the scally rally and had them fitted went to the local barracks to be sure they were ok and they said no they said no problems he even got sponsership money out of them , lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

stoneill wrote: »

the law does but presently the gardai don't - they have more to deal with than spoilt brits racing across Donegal

sligopark wrote: »
    the law does but presently the gardai don't - they have more to deal with than spoilt brits racing across Donegal

lol, i assume you mean brats! to be fair i was expecting to see a lot more exotic cars than what i did see , judging by the photos, there are a lot of normall enough looking cars in there, otherwise id have aggreed with ya.

EDIT: on second thoughts after having a look through this thread or the last 2 pages of it there were an awfull lot of facny cars :O http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055150571&page=897

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dazza27

Guys this cannonball event is to raise funds for Barretstown (a camp for terminally ill children) so give it all the support you can. www.cannonball.ie to see the route , cars and time scale. they'll be in killarney tomorrow (sunday 12/09/2010)

some cool cars - the police cars are an old vauxhall senator from the uk and two american patrol cars 1 a 99 ford - the other much older!

watch out for boyzones shane lynch in a stobart sponsored porsche 997

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I was caught in the middle of the whole thing all the way to Galway yesterday, some nice wagons... Ferraris and Porsches

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaron4829

That was our car and it is not a copy it is a real themes valley police car.we were on the cannonball.

Ah jaysus. Ye should have called in for tea !! Not often we get the Thames constabulary up this way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

aaron4829 wrote: »
    That was our car and it is not a copy it is a real themes valley police car.we were on the cannonball.

Best of luck with it and have a ball :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaron4829

Will do next year. the car went to do films and i bought it off a guy in cork. The car is now located in Dublin.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

In a way off topic, but very related: I did see a police car this morning between Killea and Newton, with lights going, though no siren.

Had to double-take in the rear view mirror, and sure enough it was yellow rear licence plates.

Didn't think it was permitted, but apparently it is, if they're chasing someone.

0lordy wrote: »
    In a way off topic, but very related: I did see a police car this morning between Killea and Newton, with lights going, though no siren.

Had to double-take in the rear view mirror, and sure enough it was yellow rear licence plates.

Didn't think it was permitted, but apparently it is, if they're chasing someone.

I actually thought the same myself a few times (i lived in newtown) turns out it was an ambulance, not your conventional ambulance it was a car type ambulance, looking exactly like a police car only without police wrote on it, they are used for transporting organs, they cannot use their sirens but have the blue lights, maybe thats what you seen too?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I actually thought the same myself a few times (i lived in newtown) turns out it was an ambulance, not your conventional ambulance it was a car type ambulance, looking exactly like a police car only without police wrote on it, they are used for transporting organs, they cannot use their sirens but have the blue lights, maybe thats what you seen too?

Ah, that explains it, I'll go with that theory, thanks!

Advertisement