Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No line yet, but what are the chances of getting Broadband

• 10-09-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a quick question. I apologise if this has been asked before but I could not find an answer elsewhere.

Here goes. Pretty soon, I will be building my first home. However, there is one thing that is really holding me back, Broadband availability.
    Here's the situation. Where I will be building, is just in off the road behind a group of 5 houses. The local exchange is about 2.5 - 3 miles away by road, but IS broadband enabled. However, the houses in front of my site are not capable of getting broadband for whatever reason. (Quality of line, Bla Bla Bla)

My question is, if I get a new broadband line run into my house, will Eircom provide me with broadband if I get it for that sole reason? Or will they just refuse, due to the fact that the houses around me cannot get it.

Anyway, thanks a million in advance. This has been bugging me for a long long time and I cannot seem to get an answer anywhere.

Cheers everyone.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If none of the houses can get broadband it is because there is insufficent or crap quality ( or both) copper with spilt lines etc. You should be able to get 1-2mbits at that distance.

If everybody orders a new line at the same time for broadband ...including the existing houses with no BB as well as yourself...maybe eircom will run a bit of new copper for all of you. You need to find out precisely where BB is available and where it is not.

Do run a cable underground from the house to the road and leave enough slack to reach the top of the nearest pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

This shows what you should do....leave a rope/nylon cord in the ducting capable of pulling the eircom cable through from the nearest pole to your NTU box. Its not up to you to lay telephone cable to the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

exaisle wrote: »
    http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

This shows what you should do....leave a rope/nylon cord in the ducting capable of pulling the eircom cable through from the nearest pole to your NTU box. Its not up to you to lay telephone cable to the pole.

Thanks a million for the info guys. Just on the info above. If this was done, would I have a fair chance of getting eircom to provide me with Broadband, taking into account the fact that the houses around me cannot get Broadband at the moment?

I know this is like asking 'How long is piece of string', but I'm just trying to get as much information as possible on this.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The best way to go about this can be to find an eircom linesman working in the area, perhaps outside the exchange or suchlike. I know rural exchanges can be infrequently visited, so I think there's no harm in calling eircom to order a line for broadband. Then say to the linesman installing it that you're not interested if you're going to be stuck to a pairgain or won't have a hope of getting DSL.

How long ago were the nearby houses built or provided with phone lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

The best way to go about this can be to find an eircom linesman working in the area, perhaps outside the exchange or suchlike. I know rural exchanges can be infrequently visited, so I think there's no harm in calling eircom to order a line for broadband. Then say to the linesman installing it that you're not interested if you're going to be stuck to a pairgain or won't have a hope of getting DSL.

How long ago were the nearby houses built or provided with phone lines?

All the houses in the same area were built about 20 years ago as far as I know. So the lines are pretty old as far as I know.
    If you order a new line, can you say that you only want it if you can get broadband? Or do Eircom connect it all up and then tell you if you can get broadband at that stage? What I'm asking is, Will Eircom be able to tell me if I can actually get broadband BEFORE they install the line? Or will I have to wait until after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

scunermac wrote: »
    All the houses in the same area were built about 20 years ago as far as I know. So the lines are pretty old as far as I know.
    If you order a new line, can you say that you only want it if you can get broadband? Or do Eircom connect it all up and then tell you if you can get broadband at that stage? What I'm asking is, Will Eircom be able to tell me if I can actually get broadband BEFORE they install the line? Or will I have to wait until after?
    Firstly, did you try ringing eircom first about this? No harm in asking to see if they'll give you a line specifically for broadband. They're the ones who decide, not us.

In any case, a linesman has to come out to your house to do the work. Ask him before he starts if you have a hope in hell of passing for DSL. If not, send him packing. Easy peasie.

Advertisement