Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoked beer craving

• 10-09-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Ive started drinking the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier beers in the last few weeks, ive have the marzen (my favourite), the wheat and lager one too.
    I love them from the first sip and can and have drank loads at a time.
    Is there anywhere that serves smoked beers on draft?
    Or is there any other smoked beers available out there?
    I'v only seen these beers in sweeneys off license
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Never heard of the stuff so I'm interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

Bacony beer, really love it. I've only ever found this stuff in the 'Dam. It is possible to get even bottles in Ireland?

For those who have not enjoyed, its kinda like having your morning after breakfast the night before. Sounds terrible. After the first sip you may still not be sure, but after the first pint there's no going back, its outstanding.

JC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

DrinkStore have those three Schlenkerlas, and I'd say the rest of the decent beer offies do too.

No joy on the draught front, though. Franciscan Well did a smoked beer called 3 Kings as their Christmas special last year, and before that Messrs Maguire did a fantastic smoked stout called Imperial. So they do crop up from time to time, but I don't know of any around in Ireland at the moment.

One of the best I've ever tasted is Affumicator: a 9.5% ABV "driedoppelrauchbock" by Beck Bräu, which I found in Wildemann in Amsterdam but was also at the Great British Beer Festival this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

adamski8 wrote: »
    Or is there any other smoked beers available out there?

The bull and castle has a keg of a Sierra Nevada Unrivalled, went down very well but its all gone

You can order 5 liters kegs from Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, the Ur bock was much nice from the keg them bottle!

oblivious wrote: »
    The bull and castle has a keg of a Sierra Nevada Unrivalled, went down very well but its all gone
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. There is a second keg, though. May be on in a fortnight's time.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. There is a second keg, though. May be on in a fortnight's time.

Lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen is one of the tastiest beers I ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

whats the story with the "ICB meet up" is it for the public?

Im interested in that Sierra Nevada smokey alright!

Just to clarify I can buy lots of bottles of the marzen, wheat and lager Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier beers in sweeneys off license in glasnevin, so i just want to try out more smoked beers to see what they taste like be it be draft or other bottles.

btw is there other really strange beers ive been missing out on?? Ive known about banana chocolate flavoured ones but this smoked one blew me away!

See below

Im interested in that Sierra Nevada smokey alright!

Just to clarify I can buy lots of bottles of the marzen, wheat and lager Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier beers in sweeneys off license in glasnevin, so i just want to try out more smoked beers to see what they taste like be it be draft or other bottles.

btw is there other really strange beers ive been missing out on?? Ive known about banana chocolate flavoured ones but this smoked one blew me away!

As I posted elsewhere, Redmonds have 4 for 10 on a load of bottled beers, some of them were too weird for me to try.

• Advertisement

It's just a bunch of homebrewers and beer fans bringing beer to the pub. If the Unrivaled is on, it won't be a private reserve or anything, it'll just be on the bar in the Beerhall for all-comers. Though if you want to sign up on Beoir and stick your name down for the 23rd (or any other monthly meeting) please do.
    is there other really strange beers ive been missing out on?? Ive known about banana chocolate flavoured ones but this smoked one blew me away!
    Loads and loads and loads. The world of beer is infinitely diverse.

Have you tried Fraoch heather ale, or Alba spruce beer? Both are superb.

As the beer nut said its as sing as signing up on the forum and dropping in :)

Through the power of suggestion I'm on the Urbock tonight:
    schlenkerlaurbock.jpg
    To be followed by smoked homebrew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'm going to Redmonds in search of a smoked beer right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Wow, I've gotta say, I've never tasted anything quite like it! Seems to be a bit of an acquired taste but will persevere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Jev/N wrote: »
    Wow, I've gotta say, I've never tasted anything quite like it! Seems to be a bit of an acquired taste but will persevere..

I had some with dinner one time and really complimented the food.

you know if that keg was drunk yet?

I do. It was. Last week.

I do. It was. Last week.
    guess its all gone now then?

Yes, I think so. Sorry.

• Advertisement

well i thought as much alright! give us a shout beernut if you see or hear of more smoked beers going around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

does it taste anything like the peaty goodness of, say, a Laphroaig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Des wrote: »

Not really.
    It tastes freakily like Kassler.
    If you've never had Kassler, then smoked bacon would be the closest thing.
    (but in a beer, obviously)

I've only tasted it twice and have yet to develop a liking for it.

It is possible get the Laphroaig flavour in beers. Messrs Maguire Imperial had it in a big way. It was there in Franciscan Well's 3 Kings to an extent as well.

Des wrote: »

peat malt is a bit rougher that Beach smoked and used in much less amounts

give us a shout beernut if you see or hear of more smoked beers going around
    guildofevil's thread reminded me: the Porterhouse have Schlenkerla Helles in their draught line-up for Oktoberfest, until Sunday week (24th). It's the only Schlenkerla beer which isn't smoked, but because it's brewed on their kit it picks up a subtle residual hamminess that's really quite tasty.

yeah ive had that beernut, its nice but not as great as the full on smokieness.
    id defo buy it if i have time for a porterhouse visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Is smoked beer new? Or is it making a resurgence for some reason? The reason I ask is that it seems to be a hot topic in Philadelphia (where I live) lately, and I did not know it existed until a few months ago.

I have only tried one - Rauch-E-Balboa by Manayunk Brewing in Philly. It was interesting but I won't order one again. There is another local brewery called Sly Fox that make a rauchbier that some claim stacks up to Aecht. I have yet to try either, though.

BTW, do ye think it would be more popular with smokers than non-smokers? I remember thinking drinking the Rauch-E-Balboa, that smokers would love it.

Gandhi wrote: »
    Is smoked beer new? Or is it making a resurgence for some reason?
    It's certainly not new, even among the American brewers where the likes of Stone and Alaskan have been producing highly-regarded smoked porters for years. If it's in fashion at the moment, happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Is the three kings beer a typical example of this type of beer? I found it a bit over-powering on the bacon front and probably couldn't manage more than a half.

Advertisement