If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Internet Radio Streamer Thing.

• 10-09-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭

Afternoon John et al.

I'm looking for something to go into the kitchen/family room/dining room area of our new house. It's a fairly large area in the shape of an L, with the kitchen in between the other rooms. The music system will be on the countertop of the kitchen.

I previously bought a Sonos S5, but sold it on to a friend of a friend before I even opened it! I reckon an S5 would probably suit me again, but don't think it'd suit SWMBO. It'd probably be a bit too ungainly for a countertop.

So I'm open to suggestions as to what else there is. Budget isn't too big of an issue...until herself finds out!;)

I've had a look at some of the Streamium stuff, and they look good. Classy looking, but with technology to back it up. There seems to be two versions of the MCi298, the 05 and the 12. Dunno what the difference is between them!:o
    There's also the WACS7500, that's on special with yourselves at the minute. But that might be a bit OTT for our needs, and it seems like old technology...unless firmware updates have modernised it? Does look the biz though, and has plenty of power.
    Not to mention the NP2900, but AFAIK that doesn't have an FM tuner.
    I reckon we'll need the FM tuner as I'm not sure on what broadband package/supplier/limit we'll have, so I'd rather not use our monthly allowance on streaming radio stations when not needed! We'd always have the radio on in the kitchen, for company like!:rolleyes:

So anyways, I'm open to all suggestions. It'll need to sound good, first and foremost. We'll worr about aesthetics/functions/etc. afterwards.:D

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Soarer

Yeah the MCi298 might just be ideal.

here is the spec in case you havent seen it...
    http://www.philipsshop.ie/Spec%20Sheets/mci298_05_pss_eng.pdf

This will play CD's, has FM radio onboard and can give you access to Internet Radio stations - wirelessly (or Wired into your router if you prefer)
    It will also stream music from your PC as well.

It's very slim so would be ideal for a kitchen or anywhere for that matter where a traditional HiFi would be justy too bulky.

We have the /05 model - the other is for another part of Europe

The other 2 units you have mentioned are discontinued items i'm afraid.

I'm happy to demonstate the MCi298 for you if you'd like to call into the shop.

This machine sells for €249.99 but you could pick one up from us for €224.99 if you'd fancy one...I have 'em in stock

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi

Have one of these I got from Ash and its excellent.

Great sound. Nice 3.5 inch touchscreen, easy to see and very responsive

Remote is very simple and not over complicated.

Set up very easy.

I have it connected to the wireless router and it is very stable.

Also have it connected to my music via TwonkeyMedia which is also great.

If you are looking for one, at this prices its probably the best you can get

SZ

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm unsure as to the 298 even though it ticks most of the boxes. Like I said, it's going in an open plan kitchen/living/dining room area (approx. 70 sq.m.), and there are 9 ft. ceilings, so it is a fairly big spce to fill. I don't know if the 298 will be up to it.
    As for the WACS7500, I know you say it's discontinued, but it's on special offer here. That seems to have all the grunt I'd need, but I'm a bit wary about the fact it's discontinued. I reckon for the money, it's probably the best all-rounder I'm gonna get.

I've also been thinking about...
    The Pure Sensia. Seems to have everything I'm looking for. Probably too much actually, what with the apps and stuff. I just don't know what it'll sound like with sideways facing speakers.

Monitor Audio Airstream 10. I seem to remember John mentioning he has one of those bad boys. Again, when it's lying flat, I'm unsure as to how good the audio will be, what with a downward facing single speaker.

I guess I could always go for the Meridian M80, but those damn Lotto numbers just don't like me!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Soarer

I've only noticed your based in Cork - probably a little far to travel for a demo eh!

I've had a chat with the lads in RSB and they themselves are out of stock of the WACS7500, the last one was sold through in August.

It seems that these are clearence units available only in stores that have stock remaining.

Give the lads in RSB a buzz 0044 333 900 0070 and they should be able to clarify this for you.

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭Soarer

No worries Ash, thanks.

Will have to do a bit more research into the other units. The 298 will be a nice unit to fall back on if the others aren't up to scratch!;)

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.