Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop dongle broadband

• 10-09-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi All
    Can anyone tell me of an open dongle that will take any sim card,
    I have a problem for my young cousin, he got a notebook and a 3 dongle, he broke the dongle cant see any damage but it doesn't work, brought it back to the shop they sent it away and told him customer damage cant be repaired so give us another €150.00 and we will replace it, it's under contract for 18 months so he's snookered.
    I got a loan of a friends Vodafone dongle swapped sims and it worked, he asked in the shop could he just buy a ready to go broadband dongle and swap the sims around but was told that the ready to go usb dongles are different from the bill pay contract ones,
    I think this is lies can anyone confirm.
    regards D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i was in an o2 store yesterday and i think that the same modem was available for prepay and billpay. just a different price tag. i can't imagine there would be any difference because the only change is the billing.
    is the dongle or the modem stick you had/borrowed?
    i used my brother's dongle for my bb, cos it's the only one that gets a signal when i'm at home, but i use another modem when i'm in galway. we both were bill-pay though

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

whiteman19 wrote: »
    i was in an o2 store yesterday and i think that the same modem was available for prepay and billpay. just a different price tag. i can't imagine there would be any difference because the only change is the billing.
    is the dongle or the modem stick you had/borrowed?
    i used my brother's dongle for my bb, cos it's the only one that gets a signal when i'm at home, but i use another modem when i'm in galway. we both were bill-pay though

Hi Whiteman
    thanks for that
    I dont know the difference between a modem stick and a dongle all I know is it is similar to a usb memory stick but bigger and it takes a sim card,
    the broken one is bill pay with 3, and the one I borrowed is bill pay with Vodafone, the 3 sim card works in the Vodafone dongle/modem stick.
    Is your brother on a different network I assume he is sinse you can't get a signal and he can,
    what makes are your 2 modem stick/dongels
    regards D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

my modems are both Huawei, and we're both on the o2 network. my brother ended his contract a few months ago when heading to australia and when i couldn't get a signal on my newer modem at home, i took his instead :D we need to stick the dongle beside the window to get any signal. i'm at home now and the model is Huawei E220. the newer model is Huawei E1752
    i can't imagine the dongle being tied to the type of way you pay. i know that it can be tied to one network, cos on the o2 forums, you can request your to be unlocked but you don't seem to have that problem

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Hi Whiteman
    They both say hsdpa usb stick on them, the one for 3 is black made by Huawei model E1550, the one for Vodafone is also made by Huawei model K3525 both have this number CE0682, which I'm guessing is a cert for european standards, I think we'll take a gamble and buy a non contract stick and see how we go, thanks for your help I'll let you know how it goes.
    regards
    D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi All
    Can anyone tell me of an open dongle that will take any sim card,
    I have a problem for my young cousin, he got a notebook and a 3 dongle, he broke the dongle cant see any damage but it doesn't work, brought it back to the shop they sent it away and told him customer damage cant be repaired so give us another €150.00 and we will replace it, it's under contract for 18 months so he's snookered.
    I got a loan of a friends Vodafone dongle swapped sims and it worked, he asked in the shop could he just buy a ready to go broadband dongle and swap the sims around but was told that the ready to go usb dongles are different from the bill pay contract ones,
    I think this is lies can anyone confirm.
    regards D
    You can buy a replacement for less than 20 quid on ebay

• Advertisement
Advertisement