Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Dublin bike shops.

• 10-09-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I currently have to keep going to Stillorgan Cycles which I find of poor service and ridiculously overpriced, especially for repairs. I live down in Blackrock and the only bike shops I know which are nearby me are the one up in Stillorgan and the one down in Booterstown. I have to go up to UCD on a daily basis and from what I hear, the bike shop there is appalling as well. I've been to the one in Dundrum, which I found the best so far but trekking down there when my bike desperately needs repairs isn't very handy.

Would anyone here recommend a decent bike shop nearby which is of decent service and price? Also would anyone know how much it costs to get a tool for removing gear cassettes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

One in cabinteely is supposed to be good, The Bike Rack. Little further on from Stillorgan brings you to Joe Dalys, Dundrum.
    I'd pass on Hollingsworthless in kilmacud from the couple of times I've been in the past.

edit:
    need 2 things to remove a cassette
    1) chain whip llike this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10184
    2) cassette remover, depends on cassette (brand/type) like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7213
    so less than 20 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Ruski wrote: »
    I currently have to keep going to Stillorgan Cycles which I find of poor service and ridiculously overpriced, especially for repairs. I live down in Blackrock and the only bike shops I know which are nearby me are the one up in Stillorgan and the one down in Booterstown. I have to go up to UCD on a daily basis and from what I hear, the bike shop there is appalling as well. I've been to the one in Dundrum, which I found the best so far but trekking down there when my bike desperately needs repairs isn't very handy.

Would anyone here recommend a decent bike shop nearby which is of decent service and price? Also would anyone know how much it costs to get a tool for removing gear cassettes?

Bike rack in Cabinteely?

http://www.thebikerack.ie/theShop.asp

Tools:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7975
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10184

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Bike Rack is great, always get my necessaries in there, and the servicing is great value.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Used Hollingsworth on Kilmacud road a few times and thought it was fine. serviced my commute bike last winter and did a great job.

Old man can be very grumpy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Pick up bits and bobs at the Bike Rack as it's very close to me (except Chamois Cream which they never seem to have :)). They seem to be pretty busy so probably an idea to call and book a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

daragh_ wrote: »
    Pick up bits and bobs at the Bike Rack as it's very close to me (except Chamois Cream which they never seem to have :)). They seem to be pretty busy so probably an idea to call and book a service.
    Well, I don't really need repairs. I prefer to repair my bike myself. Do they sell second hand parts in Bike Rack? Like wheels and stuff? I'm not a big fan of spending upwards of 40 bills on brand new wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

I'll second on the Hollingsworth's. Service is great

There was a shop in Dun Laoghaire too, I reckon, but I don't know anything about it... I might've even made it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

stas wrote: »
    I'll second on the Hollingsworth's. Service is great

There was a shop in Dun Laoghaire too, I reckon, but I don't know anything about it... I might've even made it up.

Its up one of the roads off the main st., I think its called Mikes Bikes - haven't been in there for about 3 years and I wouldn't be in any rush back. It was quite pricey and limited selection of accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Yep, Mikes Bikes, Patrick St. Dun Laoghaire. Maybe not a huge range of accessories etc, but a GREAT service dept. One of the best in Dublin IMO. Prices are not bad either, and if you feel they're too dear they're always ready to do a deal. I am a regular here, and know the lads through being a customer, but have no other connection to the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Its up one of the roads off the main st., I think its called Mikes Bikes - haven't been in there for about 3 years and I wouldn't be in any rush back. It was quite pricey and limited selection of accessories.

Well go to his other shop then, that he started with his brother Ray, here's the link http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/home.asp

The mechanic in Mikes can be a bit scary looking, what with all the piercings and tattoos, but he's good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

cyclesuperstore

Nothing to do with Mikes Bikes. Mike sold it years ago, so its not his brothers shop. Current owner has been there for around 12 years, Eddie is his name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Eddie Rowe, used to hang around with him years ago in the 80's before he got into the business. From Booterstown Avenue. Nice guy.
    Mousey was his nickname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Planet X wrote: »
    Used Hollingsworth on Kilmacud road a few times and thought it was fine. serviced my commute bike last winter and did a great job.

Old man can be very grumpy though.

joe , crank fecker all rite :D. shooting on the irish sporting team this weekend i wish him well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

spyderski wrote: »
    Yep, Mikes Bikes, Patrick St. Dun Laoghaire. Maybe not a huge range of accessories etc

I'm goin' to tell 'em you said that;)

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I'm goin' to tell 'em you said that;)

What're you gonna do - gimme a ticket?? ;-) You still doing the leinster loop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What about Dublin 8? I usually go into the city centre, but it might be nice to shop locally for basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

spyderski wrote: »
    What're you gonna do - gimme a ticket?? ;-) You still doing the leinster loop?

What's the point you never pay them anyway........

Yup doin this one. even at the expense of GAA overtime. Sent you a PM

Advertisement