Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most basic streaming annoyance

• 10-09-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I (stupidly) resisted ever setting up streaming on my home network - until now. Not quite sure why I resisted so long (time, paranoia about sharing my music?!). Anyway, I've now got it working through the presumably highly basic WMP11 reading my external HD and playing through a Freecom MusicPal (standalone web player with the ability to read a media server: www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?id=3593&catid=400).

So, the question!

That all works fine, but I am puzzled as to why I can't select a song via WMP11 on the PC and hear it simultaneously through the MusicPal in another room and the PC. For now, I only hear what I clicked on the PC through the PC speakers, and MusicPal similarly can select and play any song in the library but it doesn't come through the PC at the same time. In fact, both are playing different songs as I type. :confused:

I realise many people buy lots of fancy new hardware to have this multi-room experience, but all I want is the basic idea of playing my music as always sitting here at the PC, and then when I wander around the house I'd like to hear it still going on a second device. Is there checkbox I'm missing?! Or a better piece of software (no doubt!) or any other advice?

Apologies for the noob question but some googling turned up nothing music aside from other software.

Thanks a million in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I think they are completely separate devices. Media player can act as media server for separate devices, so you can have multiple users sharing the same library - Not that they all hear the same song.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

Thanks for the reply. I'm ok with dropping WMP like a hot potato if somebody could point me to a better program.

I realise I didn't specify that although the library is pulling songs from an external HD it's just plugged in by USB, so it in itself is not appearing as separate source on my network (which I presume would make things a lot easier!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Even if you switch to another media server, it wont play the same on all devices.

It's designed to let several separate devices play individually, at least that's how it has always worked for me. If you had a 2nd pc or laptop, you can also connect and play a 3rd different song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

You could set up your own stream with Icecast and the edcast plugin for Winamp or Foobar. Then point your MusicPal to the stream (eg. http://192.168.100.1:8000/stream). I use Icecast for streaming some things over our LAN here.

Advertisement