Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU can't power my card

Options
  • 10-09-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I recently bought this card as I want to run dual monitors and my pc only has integrated graphics with a single vga out (I’m not a gamer so I don’t mind if the card is any good). Anyway, I’m not that clued up on computer tech so I didn’t realise that my PC doesn’t have enough power to display this card (I tried installing but couldn’t get any picture).

The card’s manual says my PC must have a PSU of at least 450W.
    This is my current power supply:

ATX Power Supply – Passive PFC/non-PFC with a 115v/230v line switch
    Passive Power Factor Correction (PFC) – with line switch set to 230V – No PFC in 115V line switch position
    90 to 140VAC, or 180 to 264VAC operating voltage range
    100 to 127VAC, or 200 to 240VAC rated voltage range
    50-60 Hz rated line frequency
    47-63 Hz operating line frequency range
    300 watt maximum rated power
    80-mm power supply fan – variable speed for optimum acoustics

Where is the best place to buy a replacement PSU that would meet my needs?
    Where can I get someone to install it for me? I work from home so I don’t want to mess anything up.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I had a similar problem, but the PSU in my HP PC wasn't 'generic' and was a specific shape for that model PC. I ended up selling the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 itsjustaride

It's possible I'll run into the same problem - also have a HP.

If someone can point me towards a cheap video card that my PC will be able to handle then that would be appreciated. All I really need is two ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Have you got a model for your HP PC? is it ATX or m-atx. you should be able to pick up a cheap 600w one on dabs or komplett for less than 70 quid, but if you buy a decent brand your protected against stuff happening..... probably around a hundred quid. This happened with my dell, I thoguht It wasn't gonna fit, but you really would be surprised at what taking it all apart does to the space you have.
    EDIT:
    where are you located also? and waht do you want the gpu to do?

Groinshot wrote: »
    Have you got a model for your HP PC? is it ATX or m-atx. you should be able to pick up a cheap 600w one on dabs or komplett for less than 70 quid, but if you buy a decent brand your protected against stuff happening..... probably around a hundred quid. This happened with my dell, I thoguht It wasn't gonna fit, but you really would be surprised at what taking it all apart does to the space you have.
    EDIT:
    where are you located also? and waht do you want the gpu to do?

Thanks for the reply,
    My PC is a HP Compaq dx2400
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3658372&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c01759467

I'm located in Wicklow and all I want is dual monitors so I can have an extended desktop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Erm... that's a 8400GS you're linking to... those take virtually no power to run :o If it really is your PSU that's balking from it being installed I'd say you have bigger problems - your PSU would have to be dying! :eek:

Putting it bluntly, the manual is talking utter horse****e. If there's a problem it almost certainly won't be with the power supply! Most likely you haven't installed any drivers for it, or you may need to turn off integrated video in the BIOS to get it to work properly.

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Erm... that's a 8400GS you're linking to... those take virtually no power to run :o If it really is your PSU that's balking from it being installed I'd say you have bigger problems - your PSU would have to be dying! :eek:

Putting it bluntly, the manual is talking utter horse****e. If there's a problem it almost certainly won't be with the power supply! Most likely you haven't installed any drivers for it, or you may need to turn off integrated video in the BIOS to get it to work properly.

Thanks for this. Decided to try installing again and it's working fine now. I guess the card wasn't seated right. Stupid me!

Advertisement