Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Transfers.

Options
  • 10-09-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea about internal transfers, specifically from Theoretical Physics to Science? Do you think this would be doable or would it be problematic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm no authority on this, but that shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of people have moved from TP to Science, but my experience is mostly with the old (pre-horizons) system. If anything I'd say it's even less problematic these days though. What year are you going in to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

ghostchant wrote: »
    I'm no authority on this, but that shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of people have moved from TP to Science, but my experience is mostly with the old (pre-horizons) system. If anything I'd say it's even less problematic these days though. What year are you going in to?

Just first year! :rolleyes:

It's a long story, but basically my CAO offer was somehow messed up and I was recorded as having failed Irish... which I didn't. So I didn't get an offer, and what I wanted to do was Science. So now I'm kinda stuck with TP, but still have my heart set on Science! Just checking if it was possible to transfer. Thanks a million. :)

Novella wrote: »
    Just first year! :rolleyes:

It's a long story, but basically my CAO offer was somehow messed up and I was recorded as having failed Irish... which I didn't. So I didn't get an offer, and what I wanted to do was Science. So now I'm kinda stuck with TP, but still have my heart set on Science! Just checking if it was possible to transfer. Thanks a million. :)

No worries, the best thing to do is go into the Science programme office and talk to them in person as soon as possible. Like I said it's possible to switch, but factors such as module availability could restrict that. Depending on what you want to do, you may want to switch as early as possible. Like if you want to study chemistry or a biology subject, switching at the end of first year could be a problem, since you'll only have done the pre-requisites for physics/maths subjects. However if it's physics/maths you're interested in and would be studying in Science anyway, there actually wouldn't be a rush, a friend of mine switched out of TP just before 4th year. But regardless of what you want to study in science, talk to the programme office ASAP.

Best of luck anyway, enjoy first year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I did an internal transfer 2 years ago, half way through second year. I had to be clever about how I used my credits and electives, but as long as you got the points originally and you are not having to make up credits it's very straightforward.

I don't know which semester you want to move in, but go to your pro office ASAP.

UCD can be a bit sticky with deadlines and systems getting locked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Contact your student advisor first, then the programme office and admissions. Just be aware that you'll have to pay for first semester next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Thanks, really appreciate all the advice :)

Contact your student advisor first, then the programme office and admissions. Just be aware that you'll have to pay for first semester next year!

Really? If the OP was redo the first semester then yes, but if they could switch into omnibus science from TP at the beginning or during the first semester (or at any stage that they would allow it), I don't think she'd necessarily have to pay. I might be wrong but I thought that was the case.

ghostchant wrote: »
    Really? If the OP was redo the first semester then yes, but if they could switch into omnibus science from TP at the beginning or during the first semester (or at any stage that they would allow it), I don't think she'd necessarily have to pay. I might be wrong but I thought that was the case.

If you re-do first year in any programme, you will have to pay fees. The HEA won't pay for another first year after you have done one.

If you re-do first year in any programme, you will have to pay fees. The HEA won't pay for another first year after you have done one.

I know, I was under the impression that the OP wanted to transfer 'on the fly' so to speak, i.e. to transfer without redoing a semester/year. It should be possible, I know of people who have switched from TP to science in this manner before, but I'm not well-up on the horizons system (started the year before all that started :) )

Incorrect and I disagree.
    If you are trying to transfer internally without 'losing' or adding any time on to your stay in UCD, it shouldn't cost you anything.
    It's possible that you may have to take an extra module here or there to make up for lost credits, in that case you would have to pay the module cost.

If you have a pretty decent idea of how you could make the transfer, write it down and go to your program office.

I did quite a few individual things with my course over the years (e.g. internal transfer, reassigned a module to a different stage, took extra modules) and it was all fine, with no time lost.

Remember, the responsibility for your program generally falls with you, so get a clear idea of what you are doing before making any changes.

• Advertisement

dyl10 wrote: »
    Incorrect and I disagree.
    If you are trying to transfer internally without 'losing' or adding any time on to your stay in UCD, it shouldn't cost you anything.
    It's possible that you may have to take an extra module here or there to make up for lost credits, in that case you would have to pay the module cost.

If you have a pretty decent idea of how you could make the transfer, write it down and go to your program office.

I did quite a few individual things with my course over the years (e.g. internal transfer, reassigned a module to a different stage, took extra modules) and it was all fine, with no time lost.

Remember, the responsibility for your program generally falls with you, so get a clear idea of what you are doing before making any changes.

If you redo first year, regardless of what programme it is in, you must pay for it. I actually work for UCD and I know this is correct. For example, if you did First Year in Physio and transferred to Arts, you would pay for First Year of the Arts Degree. The HEA will not pay twice for somebody to do the same year of 2 different programmes.

What you are talking about is not connected to my reply. My reply is correct.

The OP is an incoming first year though, I don't think they're looking to do one year of a denominated science degree (and use up their free-fees first year) and then go into first year omnibus science in 12 months time (for which they would already have earned up to 60 credits).

If you redo first year, regardless of what programme it is in, you must pay for it. I actually work for UCD and I know this is correct. For example, if you did First Year in Physio and transferred to Arts, you would pay for First Year of the Arts Degree. The HEA will not pay twice for somebody to do the same year of 2 different programmes.

Possibly correct in regard to a different question, but I doubt the OP wants to do an internal transfer to repeat first year?
    Would that not just effectively be dropping out and starting a new course :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

They're not talking about re-doing first year. They're talking about switching now, having just started first year

dyl10 wrote: »
    Possibly correct in regard to a different question, but I doubt the OP wants to do an internal transfer to repeat first year?
    Would that not just effectively be dropping out and starting a new course :confused:

The OP will have to do the transfer very quickly, otherwise what I said is still true. The approach I said is the way to transfer courses. First step is to contact a student advisor, then contact the Programme Office and get it sorted ASAP. Otherwise a semester may have to be repeated (the word repeat is technically correct in the scenario I'm giving, even if the OP is actually restarting)if the process is not complete in due time. Not all courses are as simple as swapping from one to the other. I was just making the OP aware of one possibility.

Regarding the HEA and fees, it is not just possibly correct, it is 100% correct. I have experience dealing with transfers and people often end up paying fees. The key is to get it sorted soon and prevent that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The OP will have to do the transfer very quickly, otherwise what I said is still true. The approach I said is the way to transfer courses. First step is to contact a student advisor, then contact the Programme Office and get it sorted ASAP. Otherwise a semester may have to be repeated (the word repeat is technically correct in the scenario I'm giving, even if the OP is actually restarting)if the process is not complete in due time. Not all courses are as simple as swapping from one to the other. I was just making the OP aware of one possibility.

Regarding the HEA and fees, it is not just possibly correct, it is 100% correct. I have experience dealing with transfers and people often end up paying fees. The key is to get it sorted soon and prevent that happening.

How about someone who wants to transfer to a very similar programme as the one they are transferring from with maybe only one module in the difference.

The TP/science transfer is a fairly common one, a few people that started TP with me (years ago mind) switched out of it with no problems, one at the end of first year and two at the end of 2nd year. I also know of people who went the other way and switched from science into TP, in both the old and new systems, with no problems regarding having to repeat the semester/year, and no fees involved.

But it all depends on what the OP wants to do in science, i.e. what modules outside of TP they want to do. Therefore they should get in touch with an advisor and/or the programme office this week

Advertisement