Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beetroot recipes

Options
  • 10-09-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I have a rather large quantity of beetroot at my disposal. Anyone got any ideas apart from pickling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Scrub skin, quater and roast for about an hour with fresh thyme, s+p olive oil and few good glugs of balsamic vinegar. yummy. Love it with some goats cheese :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Slice it up and put into a bowl with some slices of mozzerella. Add some roasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of olive oil. It makes a yum salad.

I don't have it on me, but it also makes a wicked beetroot and chocolate cake.

Else use it in the place of other vege - sliced up in fritata, fried, in veg lasagne... watch out for casseroles however, as it can turn the gravy red!

Beetroot chutney is also yummy (my parents grow tons of it, hence all the uses).

Its one of my fav vege.

I believe it can also be used as a form of natural dye, so if you have kids, it could be a fun afternoon dying white t-shirts, tableclothes, etc.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i love beetroot, eat enough and your pee turns pink!!

cook up some green lentils and add a little lemon juice, roast some quartered beets with a touch of olive oil... in a bowl place lentils on the bottom, cover with some lightly dressed leaves (just dress with lemon&olive oil,salt and pepper) place beetroot on top of salad leaves and then top with some soft goat cheese...

yes, it sounds random but it's soooo super tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

If you like chocolate fudge cake give this recipe a go, it sounds a bit odd using beetroot in it but honestly you can't taste it at all!

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/healthy/cook-yourself-thin/beetroot-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe_p_1.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I grow my own beetroot and make this chutney with it:

http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/159/beetroot-chutney-recipe/

It's really nice, but if you wanted a spicier chutney there are lots of recipes on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

big pot-o-borsch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

beetroot chutney is incredible stuff. it should be in the supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

For something sweet try Indian beetroot halva, really easy and tastes DIVINE! You could try perserving it this way too, the sugar content should be high enough if you sterilize everything. Pickled beetroot is very easy to make and a great way to preserve it. Otherwise Broscht comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beetroot and orange risotto is very nice and an amazing colour.
    Cook a whole beetroot in some chicken stock - this will turn your stock red - and add some fresh orange juice. This is your stock for the risotto.
    You can add the beetroot, chopped, to the risotto at the end and serve it with some orange segments.

Roast beetroot is great.

And as someone said, beetroot goes really well with goats cheese - slices of beetroot roast, grilled or fried, a little balsamic and top with soft Irish (if you're in Ireland) goats cheese and grill.

+1 on the Borscht too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try roast parsnips with beetroot salad.

Peel and cut parsnips into long pointy fingers. Take out the woody core.
    Blanch in boiling water and roast until crispy.
    Dice some cooked beetroot.
    Mix yoghurt and homous for a dressing and thin with a little water if too thick. Add a little horseradish to taste.
    Add half the diced beetroot to the dressing.
    Plate up a pile of green leaves dressed with a little olive oil.
    Arrange the parsnips on top like a tent with the points up.
    Scatter the diced beetroot around the plate and spoon on the dressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

The risotto and the parsnip recipes sound legend!! Putting them on the to-do list!!! Thanks!

Advertisement