Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sram cassettes

• 10-09-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you can buy sram cogs separately? I am looking for an 11tooth cog for my PG850 as mine is worn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're not listed in the SRAM spare parts list (in the road section anyway), but bike-components.de are a decent source for this sort of thing.

edit: a new PG850 cassette is pretty cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Lumen wrote: »
    They're not listed in the SRAM spare parts list (in the road section anyway), but bike-components.de are a decent source for this sort of thing.

edit: a new PG850 cassette is pretty cheap.

That is cheap, aren't they bout €50 in halfords?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Dubba wrote: »
    That is cheap, aren't they bout €50 in halfords?

Its cheap but with tax, P&P and small order cost (!) it comes out at over €30. CRC have them on sale for £18. I begrudge buying a whole cassette for one sprocket, I already have a new one in the shed (without an 11T) already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Its cheap but with tax, P&P and small order cost (!) it comes out at over €30. CRC have them on sale for £18. I begrudge buying a whole cassette for one sprocket, I already have a new one in the shed (without an 11T) already!

Don't fancy your chances of getting your problem sorted any cheaper , you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Who wears out just an 11T, you're just showing off aren't you ! Is your name Fabian ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I suspect you have very small front chainrings if you're wearing out the 11t. :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yep. Time to work on your cadence...

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Who wears out just an 11T, you're just showing off aren't you ! Is your name Fabian ?

I have a 12-26 cassette on my road bike and needed a faster gear for the sprints and the time trials, so I bought a 11-28 MTB cassette and used the 11 tooth from that to replace my 12 tooth. It makes a really big difference for one tooth but it wears quickly as its under a lot of stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I have a 12-26 cassette on my road bike and needed a faster gear for the sprints and the time trials, so I bought a 11-28 MTB cassette and used the 11 tooth from that to replace my 12 tooth. It makes a really big difference for one tooth but it wears quickly as its under a lot of stress.

SRAM do an 11-26 road cassette?
    Also how are you actually wearing out the cassette? Are you not changing your chain or something? I've over 8000km on one of my SRAM cassettes and besides a few small marks on the faces, it is fine.

Ryaner wrote: »
    SRAM do an 11-26 road cassette?
    Also how are you actually wearing out the cassette? Are you not changing your chain or something? I've over 8000km on one of my SRAM cassettes and besides a few small marks on the faces, it is fine.

The 11-26 is a nine speed, I only have an 8 speed. I only changed the 12 tooth for an 11 tooth on my 12-26 cassette.

I change my chain regularly (about every 3500-4000k), it's only after putting on a new chain that i noticed skipping in the 11 tooth cog on both front chain rings indicating that the cog is worn. The other cogs are fine.

The 11 tooth cog being the smallest would be first to show signs of wearing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

The 11 tooth cog being the smallest would be first to show signs of wearing.

Dont be mental.

Whatever cog you spend the most time in cross chaining will wear out the fastest.

If you are running and 53 front ring and wearing out your 11 all the time i hope you have a massive ability to suck up low range torque in your knees.

billy.fish wrote: »
    Dont be mental. If you are running and 53 front ring and wearing out your 11 all the time i hope you have a massive ability to suck up low range torque in your knees.

Not quite sure how to respond to this as I'm not sure what you mean.

I am very aware of cross chaining and try to avoid this as I know how it can wear the chain/sprokets/front chainrings very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Not quite sure how to respond to this as I'm not sure what you mean.

I presume he means you're not pedalling fast enough. 53x11t@90rpm gives you 54.8kph and @100rpm gives you 60.9kph. Are you going that fast often enough to wear out the sprocket?

Advertisement