Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low End PCs/Laptops: The Lowdown and Game Compatibility List

Options
  • 10-09-2010 6:46pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mods feel free to move or delete. :)

PC gaming has had its shares of ups and downs. It's safe to say that PC gamings best days had been in the late 90's/early 00's, where graphics hardware wasnt so much of an issue if you wanted to play the latest games.

Technology progresses, for better or worse, unfortunately. While graphics has made huge strides and hardware companies such as Intel, Nvidia and ATI have taken it in their stride to accomplish such things, there's always going to be niggles with every step.

So, you've just bought a laptop. And you've just found out that they've thrown in a crappy Intel integrated graphics card, and now you can't play the latest PC games on your shiny new hardware?

Fear not! This guide will hopefully aid some people into buying laptops, or trying out some other games as well as modifying the latest ones :)

Step 1: Know your Hardware
    You want to know what's inside your PC/laptop before doing anything first. The easiest way to do so without downloading extra software:

1. Right click My Computer/Computer, and click properties. A pop-up like thus should appear for XP users
    myComputerSpecs.png

or like this for Vista/7 users
    111.jpg

This gets you your Processing speed and your RAM.

Now, on this box, for XP click Hardware, then device manager. Look up Display adaptors and expand it. You should get something along the lines of Intel GMA 950/Nvidia Geforce 8600GT/ATI Radeon 4650. This is your graphics card.

For Vista/7 users, click on Device Manager and follow the steps thereafter.

Step 2: Assess your Hardware
    All fine and dandy gathering information, but for some users all of this is utter gibberish. Hopefully I can explain this well, so here goes:

Your PCs speed is dependant on your processor (CPU). The amount of temporary information stored while loading an application or game is your memory (RAM). The hardware that renders what you see on your screen is the graphics card (GPU).

CPU

For CPUs, there are thousands of different speeds available.
    127180.jpeg

My general rule of thumb for PC gaming:

For games released in the last 4 years, a score of 500 is the bare minimum you need to get it running on low settings. Obviously the higher the score, the better performance you'll get (faster loading, smoother gameplay etc)

For games released from between 2003-2006, a score of 200 is required to play those games at acceptable levels.

For games released beforehand, I'm fairly sure that 99.9% of users here would have the necessary CPU speed to run that certain game.

This is just a list of the most common CPUs found in laptops/desktops. For more CPUs, go here, search your CPU and grab it's score.

RAM
    RAM is the least complicated of the lot, but general rule of thumb is:

For Visa/7 users, 2GB or RAM is required for games released in the last 4 years for optimal performance. For XP users, 1-1.5GB is sufficient.

For games released from 2003-2006, 512mb or more would be more than enough.

GPU
    The graphics card is the common culprit in users not being able to play their latest games. As dedicated hardware was advancing, Intel decided that the world needs budget graphics rendering, and thus came about their Graphics Media Accelerator chips. Unfortunately what they didn't tell the end-users, is that their GPUs were exceptionally poor and sluggish.

To assess your GPUs graphics ability, notebookcheck (for laptop GPUs) and videocardbenchmark (for desktop GPUs) have compiled a thorough list of cards and their subjective performances.

For notebookcheck, what they have done is divided the GPUs into classes. Simply look up your GPU on the list, and determine it's class.

If you're looking to play games released in the last 4 years, The top tier of Class 4 graphics cards are able to meet bare minimum standards for gameplay. The higher it goes the better the performance. Top tier Class 3 and upwards really hits the sweetspot for current gen gaming.

For games released beforehand, any card right down to the bottom of Class 5 will give you acceptable levels of gameplay. Class six cards might not have the graphical requirements to play a number of games.

For videocardbenchmark, the list is similar to the CPUs Passmark.

For games released in the last 4 years, a score of 90 is the absolute bare miniumum for current gen games.

For games released beforehand, a score of 30 would be your absolute minimum.

Step 3: Unbalanced computer :(

So, you've found out you have a nice fast CPU, but your GPU lags way behind? Fear not. There ARE tricks to get newer games running better on your PC.

3D Analyze is a handy little program. What it basically does is emulate the GPU lighting and shadowing effects onto your CPU. The program itself takes a bit of tinkering to get optimal performance, but yields of almost 20-30% boost in some games is possible. (I got Starcraft II running at 40fps on my 8400M from emulating T&L, lighting and pixel shaders :D)

The other options is upgrading your hardware. If so, talk to the guys in the building and upgrading forum on boards, and they'll help you out as best you can. Laptop users BEWARE: Upgrading your GPU is nigh on impossible. Only about 5% of manufactured laptops supports GPU upgrades.

Step 4: Play a game and report back here!

Before playing a game, check to make sure your Directx and Graphics drivers are up to date:
    Directx
    ATI
    Nvidia
    Intel
    This is only intended as a rough guide for people wanting to play games on their laptops/pcs without much knowledge of the platform. While it's safe to say that the guide is fairly accurate, there can be errors. Some games that have come out require GOD-LIKE PCs to run smoothly (Such as GTAIV), and therefore don't apply to the theories I have outlined. So I hope you all can test out games with your currently computers and report back the playability of your games too :D

Other helpful links

For Intel GPU users: http://groups.google.com/group/intel9x-gaming/web/games-that-work-intel-gma-950?pli=1 This is a comprehensive list of compatible games on the Intel 945 chips, that include the Intel GMA 950 (Netbooks excluded. Their GPUs have been altered to preserve power and therefore slower than what's actually charted). You have a graphics card that's faster than a GMA 950, chances are your laptop could play 95% of those games (CPU and RAM pending)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Step 1, windows key + pause opens system properties :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Wow, brilliant post!

I have
    Windows XP
    AMD Turion 64x2 which has a score of 982
    With 2 gigs of RAM.
    My graphics card lets me down.... Class 5 ATI Raedon Xpress 1150 hypermemory.

I game quite a bit actually. These are the games which I play at an acceptable level on my laptop:

World of Warcraft: On mid level graphics settings, usually get 20+fps which is grand.
    Rome Total War: Works grand unless I have the unit sizes on huge
    Civ 4: Works grand, mid way graphics(some stuttering if there are lots of civs)
    Civ 3: Perfect. Huge time sink.
    Battlefield 1942: Works perfect, some great mods for this, Desert Combat being my fave.
    Sim City 3000: Great game :)
    The Sims 1 and 2: Work fine
    Silent Hunter 3: I play this a lot, it WORKS but it stutters a lot, sometimes, but because I love it it is acceptable to me. Really pushing my computers high end with this.

Hmmm, thats all I can think of now, anyone have any more suggestions?

Should I try that 3d analyse thing? I don't want to somehow mess up my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

A lot of people have laptops these days , laptops that can't touch modern PC games but kick the **** out of older ones.

This allows for easy on the fly lan sessions of UT or Defcon.

Be cool to see people add more suggestions for good local MP games to play on laptops with integrated cards made in the last 4 years.

Also smart phones are starting to catch up on PC's from 10 years ago but thats a whole other thread.

My laptop is a dell vostro 1500 with a 8600m GT card so its a mid - low range gamer laptop so a lot better then a typical integrated card laptop. It can play crysis on medium settings. In terms of gaming, mostly used it for Valve games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Wow great thread. Thanks a lot.

I was just reading the other thread about whether PC gaming was worth it yesterday and trying to figure out what my laptop is capable. Unfortunately, I'm majorly let down by one of those crappy Intel 945 integrated cards. I have a Dell 640m with 2GB Ram and a score of 1,002 in that CPU chart but the 945 is firmly in class 5.

I was all set to upgrade the graphics card but unfortunately that is seemingly impossible on this laptop:(

So can anyone recommend any games over 4 years old that would probably run on my laptop? The only PC game I have ever played was Mafia: City of Lost Heaven a few months ago and I loved it, so anything along those lines would be great.

I played Half Life 2 on the Xbox years ago so I'm going to see if Episode 1 and 2 work. I was using this site to check compatibility. Is is accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

On my netbook (NC10) i am playing at the minute:

Baldurs Gate
    Fallout 1 & 2
    Broken Sword

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

This could do with a bump (and some interest for those of us gaming on low powered laptops etc.!)

I have a celeron 743 ULV proc - Passmark 475
    RAM - 2GB DDR3
    GPU - Intel 4500m series (not sure if it is the 4500mHD or not)

Have played with no problem

Broken Sword 2/3
    GTA 3/VC (suffered stutter once or twice)

Age of Empires (had a problem with the textures but was running fine otherwise)
    Age of Empires 2

Fired up Deus Ex with the texture pack/mod, seemed to be struggling, but will report back when i give it a proper play through.

And went out on a limb and bought Minecraft even though the browser version runs like a sick cow.

The alpha versions runs fine - cant have it the view distance on far, but normal is grand most of the time! That said i haven't been in any combat yet so i don't know if that will cause problems.

EDIT: I thought this thread would be badly needed, cant believe it has gotten so few replies - COngrats for starting it CHerryghost

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Wow, brilliant post!

I have
    Windows XP
    AMD Turion 64x2 which has a score of 982
    With 2 gigs of RAM.
    My graphics card lets me down.... Class 5 ATI Raedon Xpress 1150 hypermemory.

I keep hearing how great morrowind is.... will it work on this do you think?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It'll easily work. I've ran it on a Intel GMA950 xD

And thanks :)

It'll easily work. I've ran it on a Intel GMA950 xD

And thanks :)
    There goes my weekend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Most certainly.

Enjoy this awesome game :)

• Advertisement

Most certainly.

Enjoy this awesome game :)
    Everyone seems to think it is better than oblivion(my fave game) Hopefully I will be able to overlook the graphics, if they are shocking.

Everyone seems to think it is better than oblivion(my fave game) Hopefully I will be able to overlook the graphics, if they are shocking.

Nevermind the graphics, they can be replaced (and look amazing when they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bXmxKmoB8 ), it's the sadistically cruel combat you'll be annoyed with.

Nevermind the graphics, they can be replaced (and look amazing when they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bXmxKmoB8 ), it's the sadistically cruel combat you'll be annoyed with.
    That looks impressive! 2002 era graphics should be fine though.

Any mods I should start off with?

Is it really hard?

At the start I first found it pretty hard.
    Only mods I'd recommend for beginners would be graphics mods, the official plug-ins and Morrowind Comes Alive (adds hundreds of Generic NPC's to make places more lively).

Bit of a bump here lads, still have the same laptop and I need more games!

Whats a good alternative to Diablo 2?(played that to death) Or something along those lines?

Got neverwinter nights, don't really like it tbh.

EDIT: 10,000 posts, jayzus!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

Personally I use a website called
    game-debate. com
    Its great as it lets you enter in your PCs specs and when you go to view a game...itll tell you straight off whether your able to run it or not :)
    Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could try the Frozenbyte games on it. Not sure if Trine will work, but they're cheap for one more day.
    http://www.humblebundle.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Trine works grand on my integrated graphics card on Low and Very Low settings (better framerate on Very Low)...brilliant game, well worth the purchase

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Apologies for the massive bump, but Intel have released graphics drivers focused on gaming, for all Intel HD laptops.
    These are HD drivers for Intel integrated processor chipsets like in Core i3/i5/i7 Sandy bridge processors and Intel Core i3/i5 series 500/600 Dual-Core processors based on the Clarkdale core
    Performance Improvements

[*]This driver release was designed to increase 3D gaming performance on mobile platforms across a variety of titles.

Fixed Issues

[*]Resolved intermittent crashing when an HDMI monitor is connected
        [*]WebGL rendering anomaly in Google Chrome* and Mozilla Firefox* browsers resolved.
        [*]Eliminated minor rendering artifacts that were present in a few particular scenes in the following games:
        • Assassin's Creed
        • Darkspore
        • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
        • Empire: Total War
        • F1 2010
        • King of Kings 3
        • Mass Effect 2
        • Medal of Honor
        • StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
        • Sudden Attack
        • Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X
        • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution*

[*]Fixed corruption issue in the Battlefield: Bad Company 2* game (DirectX* 9 version)
        [*]Fixed corruption in James Cameron’s Avatar: The Game* game in DirectX* 9 mode
        [*]Fixed corruption issue that was present in Crysis* game when antialiasing was enabled
        [*]Text characters in the game menu of Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.2* displayed correctly.
        [*]Dragon Age II* game was starting in DirectX* 11 mode by default
        [*]OpenGL driver enhanced with combination of one new extension, performance optimizations, and fixes to enable and/or improve user experience. The following applications benefit from these enhancements:
        • Amnesia
        • Brink
        • The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
        • The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
        • CINEBENCH
        • Magic: The Gathering
        • Minecraft
        • SPECviewPerf* 11 (OpenGL* test)
        • Unigine* (OpenGL*)

[*]Aquarium screensaver showed a black square on second monitor and is now fixed

Some forums are recording some very good performance jumps in some games, some not listed here. Will report later today myself with the new drivers.

32 Bit drivers
        64 bit drivers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gah, any chance someone can edit that and make the text "not black" for those of us who use a black Boards.ie skin? :)

[edit]
        Cheers Cherry :D

• Advertisement
      Advertisement