Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4 is sim locked when updated to 4.1,is officially locked from apple ireland

Options
  • 10-09-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

My iphone 4, which I bought from the Apple Ireland website so it should be sim free, is now sim locked after I updated to 4.1 but when it was running 4.0.2 it was completely unlocked and working with my meteor sim card. So it was working with my meteor sim without a jailbreak or anything before the update but now isnt working

I can't find anything on the internet about it so does anyone know what the problem is and a fix?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Are you getting a SIM not supported error?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Nope, it doesnt alert me to anything about the sim, just only when I turn it on it asks me to enter the the simlock pin and it just says locked sim in the top left corner

Sorry, the SIM is locked. Took that up wrong :)

Try 0000. If that doesn't work is there another handset you can try to ensure a PIN hasn't been applied to the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Type in your pin and it will unlock it. It's just your pin not
    an iPhone lock

Yep it was the sim card lock and not the phone!. I didnt relaise it was the sim because it restarted the first time without asking me to enter the pin so i assumed it was the phone and I didnt have the pin locked so 4.1 must have turned it on somehow and 0000 worked, thanks everyone!

• Advertisement

If you don't want it ensure that it's off in Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.

I think ill have the sim locked, its safer than not having one and ill change it from 0000 aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

A phone lock is better. If the phone is stolen, someone can just swap sims and get into your personal data.

I already have the phone lock so now Ive both!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

The only lost phones I've ever got back were the ones without pin entry. How is someone supposed to return the phone to you?

I've lost 4 phones over my lifetime and 3 were unlocked and found there way back to me the locked one was a goner. I've also found a non pin locked phone, rung "Mam" and got the phone back to it's original owner

Was funny when I rung the mother though cos the first thing she said was "what are YOU doing calling me?" in a really angry voice before I could explain that I wasn't the phone owner lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The only lost phones I've ever got back were the ones without pin entry. How is someone supposed to return the phone to you?

If you have the "Find my iPhone" option from MobileMe you can see where the phone is and also put messages to the main screen asking them to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Hobbes wrote: »
    If you have the "Find my iPhone" option from MobileMe you can see where the phone is and also put messages to the main screen asking them to return it.

Excellent solution. Hopefully the price will reduced for this in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Yeah. There is also an app Family Tracker, that will run in the background, and that can be used (3GS & 4) to locate a missing device. Also the free app GPS tracker is also worth a download. I'm using the MobileMe free trial for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yea. I'd like to see that feature only sold separate.

btw, to the OP. Just curious. It is a micro sim you are using? Or a cut sim?

Not sure about Meteor but Vodafone gave me a microsim for free when I went into the shop. Then just rang vodafone to have my number moved over.

Advertisement