Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in U.L.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Are you yanking my chain???

Rascism is beyond rampant here...

The fact you would not believe the OP as to what he experienced would only serve the fact that Irish people choose to ignore the issue "ah shur he was over reacting" "ah shur why would that bother him" "ah shur they should go back to their own country" I could "ah shur" all night.

Its not good enough.

OP Ill tell you, as a proud Irish woman, if I had over heard what they said to you, I would have stood up, not only for you, but for the decent Irish people, who actually do give a crap what is going on in their country. Shame on any Irish person who would stand there and listen to someone being deflamed like that.

I went to UL and did a post-grad about 10 years ago, and there was a black guy on the course. He left Limerick within 2 months of the course starting. He had been harassed so flippin much. He was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. What a horrible horrible thing to happen on this soil - a nation of so called "a 1000 welcomes".

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

i'm sorry to hear about that. It's not fair to anybody to get that kind of abuse, i'm lucky since i arrived a few weeks ago, i haven't experienced any abuse or bullying. I was surprised by it actually but i feel it a lot more friendly place than the secondary school i came from

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No one has said they don't believe the OP, its just hard not to be skeptical when two days and 31 replies later their hasn't been sight nor sound of the OP. His first ever post and quite possibly his last by the look of things. Many people's issue with the OP is why he chose this forum instead of acting upon the incident as it happen but the OP hasn't logged in since so I guess we will never know.

Tbh dellas1979 its sounds like you have a bigger problem with Irish people than just this particular issue because to come out and condemn the nation like that there must be long running anger on several issues.

I've never said "ah shur" does that make me non-Irish??

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Lock it!

Nothing but generalisations and general slander + misconceptions.

No one addressing the issue.

DJCR wrote: »
    Lock it!

Nothing but generalisations and general slander + misconceptions.

No one addressing the issue.

Exactly which is why we question the OP's decision to post in the first place. This is just a bunch of people giving a bunch of exaggerated opinions.

• Advertisement

I dont have any problems I assure you. I can only talk from my own experiences, of which I have seen and heard loads and the reason for me saying it is alive and kicking. It seems from your experience, or therefore lack of, you dont see a problem here. I dont know how you have never experienced or seen any rascism in this country and it is rather worrying.

Address the issue? What do you propose then seeing as you actually contributed nothing?

Standing up to people or defending those who cannot defend themselves would be a start.

Edit: Townie, you are just reinforcing and proving what I am saying with your attitude to lock the thread. Of course the OP is exagerating their claims, I am exagerating my claims, other posters are exagerating their claims. For the second time in this post, I assure you my claims are not exagerated. So, for the sake of humanity, can you stop with the bullish attitude.

Well dellas1979 if you bother to read my posts you will see on several occasions I acknowledge racism does exist in Ireland but people claiming it is rampant in Ireland is ridiculous. I'm just going to start quoting myself to respond to post as I'm starting to repeat myself for those too lazy to read and as a result don't understand my viewpoint.

P.S. when I say OP I'm referring to Original Poster just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Not lazy, just dont get your confusing point of view.

If you want to start slinging mud at me or make smartass comments for having a different point of view, go ahead.

Prove its not rampant in this country then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Who eats monkey nuts before Halloween ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Racism is a sad fact of life.It exists in all countrys. There are always going to be a small minority of morans out there but when decent people stand idly by and say/do nothing when these people make racist remarks then thats sad.

When these idiots made monkey noises and threw nuts did someone not do or say anything? i'd be surprised if no one said anything. Or were you and your brother on your own? Terrible experience anyway.

• Advertisement

How could anyone prove anything from just personal experiences?? hence why all this time I've just given my opinion which is based on my experiences. OK so I will break down my point of view.
    1. Originally read about nuts been thrown in library. I believe thats wrong (if its even true)
    2. Only way to address that (without getting violent) is to inform security. (Going up to the offenders and shouting or telling them off would result in laughter or them ignoring you as they wouldn't care what you think.)
    3. I believe racism is a problem amongst a minority in Ireland.
    4. I think the word racism is thrown about too much as people have this diluted definition of racism.
    5. Racism is not rampant throughout Ireland (when you compare it globally).

In a nutshell that's what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Guys, this is basically a re-run of a thread started last year, probably by the same hit and run poster. It smelled of troll then and it smells of troll now, there's a high degree of probability that it's being posted from the same computer.

Sure, there's racism about. Doesn't make it right, in fact it makes it quite wrong. If you see obvious racism I suggest making a complaint to the college or through the SU (assuming it's in UL - if it's outside, you've got your own voices, anti-discrimination laws and plenty of media that will happily get involved). I left it open in case there was some sense to be had in a UL context. For a general discussion of racism etc, I suggest the Humanities forum (you'll discover it under the Soc heading).

But as for this thread, obvious troll in obvious trollery, people who remember the last effort at this will see the same patterns in the story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement