Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reporting a dangerous driver

• 10-09-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Right guys, I need some advice here.

I was on the way to Leixlip today from the Celbridge direction. When I got to the lights at the N4 I noticed a car reversing UP the on-ramp. What made it worse was that the traffic from the N4 outbound was going straight through the junction to go back on the N4 because of those stupid red cones that block you from merging.

Anyway, this guy was seriously taking the pi$$, not only was it a stupid thing to do, but it's so dangerous.

He then waited for the lights to go green and tried to pull out in front of the first van almost causing a RTA and then forced his way in front of the second van. I was behind that van at this stage and when they guy in front of me turned off at the next roundabout, I was behind the driver.

The whole way into Leixlip village he kept touching the breaks like there was no tomorrow even though everyone was moving a nice steady pace and not slowing at all. Even when we stopped in Leixlip village at the lights he kept driving forward and braking again and again even though there was noone moving. Very strange

Now, I took a photo of his reg and also of him at the top of the ramp.

I went into the Gardai and told them and showed them the photos. They said I would have to make a formal complaint and to be willing to go to court over it.

Now I don't really have a problem with that, but would obviously prefer not to have to go to court and take a day off work etc etc

So what should I do? Let it go? Make a formal complaint to the gardai?

I really hate people who are dicks on the roads, and this guy was one serious dick.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

127186.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

It's the weekend. Forget about it. He isnt worth getting stressed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could the breaking be put down to driving an auto, did this person endanger you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Could the breaking be put down to driving an auto

Never thought of that, cheers
    did this person endanger you?

He endangered everyone at that junction at that time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

exaisle wrote: »
    It's the weekend. Forget about it. He isnt worth getting stressed over.
    You're right, he's not worth stressing over.

That's why the OP should decide now that he's going to go to court and punish the bastard!

Now, time for a beer!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Let it go, there could be a good reason for his behaviour, maybe his missus was about to pop a kid out.

• Advertisement

Absurdum wrote: »
    Let it go, there could be a good reason for his behaviour, maybe his missus was about to pop a kid out.

There is no reason to reverse up an on-ramp...

If it was a pregnancy would it not make more sense to go onto the motorway towards the hospital than through a town with traffic?

There is never a good reason to endanger other road users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

On an off the brakes is erratic driving, whether it be a manual or automatic.

Could the breaking be put down to driving an auto, did this person endanger you?

I wouldn't think so to be honest, I drive an auto at the moment and no one behind me would know from my braking activity. Only time is when edging out of the drive or parking spaces and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

RoverJames wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so to be honest, I drive an auto at the moment and no one behind me would know from my braking activity. Only time is when edging out of the drive or parking spaces and the like.

Thats true. Nothing worse than being in a line of moving traffic and some fool like that brakeing like mad in front of you when the traffic is moving smoothly.. Op the cops still can have a word with the driver without procesuting him/her. Maybe they will have an explanation for there behaviour..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ill be honest, while I see this kind of stupid behaviour a lot and it does my head in, unless the idiot damn near ploughed you out of it or you have a lot of spare time on your hands Id just let it go. Give the guards the reg number of the car and any pictures you may have taken and leave it at that. From what I can gather they will take a note of the reg so if another complaint comes in there is a record that it isnt the first time.

I wouldnt see it as being worth taking a day off work to go to court over.

• Advertisement

Upon reflection and from reading the comments I think I'll just hand in the photos and a quick nameless statement

I should have mentioned in the OP that I don't really want the driver getting points or whatever, just a good bollocking for being a douche of a driver

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Typical, more of the same bitching and moaning I see on here all the time but when someone has a chance to do something about it they bottle it.

Now, time for a beer!! :D
    Typical, more of the same bitching and moaning I see on here all the time but when someone has a chance to do something about it they bottle it.

If you still feel the same in the morning, let me know and I might consider following through on it. But as I said, it's just inconvenient for me to go to court etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tallon wrote: »
    ...and a quick nameless statement...
    Not worth the paper it's written on. You can make a report, including giving your details, without agreeing to give evidence - afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

It's not up to you to decide if its dangerous driving, its the Gardai and the DPP. IMO, it's Driving without reasonable consideration or Careless Driving, not Dangerous Driving.

Unfortunately, without you making a formal complaint, NOTHING will happen. If a guard calls to his door to have a word, all he/she has to do is deny it. you're word against his as you're pictures don't really show any offence happening (static picture).

I'm not saying what he/she did was right but if you want anything to happen with it, you'll need to be willing to follow it through to court

Cheers CC

Advertisement