Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i set up DMZ for xbox live?

Options
  • 10-09-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Anyone know what settings i put into my router for setting up a DMZ for xbox live?

Do I need to have firewall in modem and my router or just router and where do I need the DMZ set up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

How you would go about this depends entirely on what equipment you have and how your Xbox is currently connected to it. More details please.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

bhickey wrote: »
    How you would go about this depends entirely on what equipment you have and how your Xbox is currently connected to it. More details please.

Ok...ive got my PC -UPC Ciscoepc2425-Intellinet 150n wireless router-XBOX wireless adapter.

Ok...ive got my PC -UPC Ciscoepc2425-Intellinet 150n wireless router-XBOX wireless adapter.

Similar to the setup here then?

You'd have to firstly setup the LAN IP address range of each router on separate IP networks, connect the Intellinet WAN port to a LAN port on the Cisco, disable Cisco wireless, make the Cisco DMZ be the WAN IP of the Intellinet and make the Intellinet DMZ be the IP address of the X-box.

Similar to the setup here then?

You'd have to firstly setup the LAN IP address range of each router on separate IP networks, connect the Intellinet WAN port to a LAN port on the Cisco, disable Cisco wireless, make the Cisco DMZ be the WAN IP of the Intellinet and make the Intellinet DMZ be the IP address of the X-box.

Id prefer not to go into all this WAN ip's, LAN Ip etc as i havent a clue about it and find it hard to follow to be honest.

All i want to do is:

Have an active firewall between me and the rest of the world but at the same time let the xbox have unrestricted access.
    Is there an easier way to do this?

Is there an easier way to do this?

If the Xbox were connected to the Cisco instead of to the Intellinet then yes that would simplify things a lot. Is that an option?

• Advertisement

I disabled the wireless on the cisco cause it's not great. I'm using the intellinet to provide this. My xbox is downstairs and cisco is upstairs so I guess it's not really an option.

I disabled the wireless on the cisco cause it's not great. I'm using the intellinet to provide this. My xbox is downstairs and cisco is upstairs so I guess it's not really an option.

I assume then that the Intellinet is connected to the Cisco via a LAN cable. If so then you could try this :

1. Disable DHCP server on the Intellinet and make the Intellinet's LAN IP be on the same LAN as the Cisco (but outside the DHCP server IP range provided by the Cisco). For example if the Cisco's LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1 and it gives out IP's in the range 192.168.1.100 <-> 192.168.1.199, then make the LAN IP address of the Intellinet be something like 192.168.1.2 so that it would never accidentally clash with another device later.

2. Connect a LAN port from the Cisco to a LAN port on the Intellinet (as opposed to the WAN port on the Intellinet).

Now when the Xbox connects wirelessly to the Intellinet, it will actually get its IP address directly from the Cisco. Then setup your DMZ.

I assume then that the Intellinet is connected to the Cisco via a LAN cable. If so then you could try this :

1. Disable DHCP server on the Intellinet and make the Intellinet's LAN IP be on the same LAN as the Cisco (but outside the DHCP server IP range provided by the Cisco). For example if the Cisco's LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1 and it gives out IP's in the range 192.168.1.100 <-> 192.168.1.199, then make the LAN IP address of the Intellinet be something like 192.168.1.2 so that it would never accidentally clash with another device later.

2. Connect a LAN port from the Cisco to a LAN port on the Intellinet (as opposed to the WAN port on the Intellinet).

Now when the Xbox connects wirelessly to the Intellinet, it will actually get its IP address directly from the Cisco. Then setup your DMZ.
    I have the intellinet lan port connected to the cisco LAN port.
    Intellinet tech support told me do this a while back.

I'll try that so later as I'm off out now for a while.

What do I do to set up the dmz?

I have the intellinet lan port connected to the cisco LAN port

And you've disabled the DHCP server on the Intellinet?

What do I do to set up the dmz?

Something like this?

The DMZ address should be the IP address of the Xbox.

And you've disabled the DHCP server on the Intellinet?

Yes...had to do this a while back and change the Intellinet IP address so i could log in without having to plug directly into it via ethernet.

• Advertisement

It turns out i actuallly have it set up like this already !!!
    Starting IP of cisco is 192.168.1.10...number of CPEs 119.
    Ive my Intellinet LAN at 192.18.1.250.

Ok...have DMZ set up now. I see the lease time in the Cisco is set at 3600. Does this mean i'll drop connection every hour while the lease renews?

Ok...have DMZ set up now. I see the lease time in the Cisco is set at 3600. Does this mean i'll drop connection every hour while the lease renews?

Good stuff. If your Xbox gets its IP via DHCP then it renews it once an hour. It will normally get the same IP address again and it shouldn't cause a problem. If it ever does change then you have a couple of options

1. Use a static IP on the Xbox (outside the Cisco's DHCP range again)
    2. Setup a static DHCP lease for the Xbox on the the Cisco (if it supports static leases)

Good stuff. If your Xbox gets its IP via DHCP then it renews it once an hour. It will normally get the same IP address again and it shouldn't cause a problem. If it ever does change then you have a couple of options

1. Use a static IP on the Xbox (outside the Cisco's DHCP range again)
    2. Setup a static DHCP lease for the Xbox on the the Cisco (if it supports static leases)

Cool..thanks for ur help ;)

Advertisement