Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Phone - IMEI Codes

Options
  • 10-09-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Howiye all, quick question hope someone can shed a drop of light on it.

Basically phone got nicked last Friday, HTC Desire and twas my pride and joy. Checked with the pub I was in, checked with the taxi companys etc etc and no one has it. Rang meteor and got the SIM locked, also got them to blacklist the IMEI which should hopefully turn a wondrous device into a paperweight for whatever cu*nt took it.

My question is, is it all possible to narrow down locations with an IMEI code? My understanding is that when a device is powered on it attempts to make a connection to the nearest mast, registering SIM data and IMEI code. Surely that means that some manner of triangulation can be done by Meteor or the Rozzers?

Basically I just want to track down the phone and Ideally to pay a rather severe discourtesy to the face of the fella what took it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Theres tracking software you could have used but it's too late now. The gards wont be able to pin it down it would be a huge waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

Theres tracking software you could have used but it's too late now. The gards wont be able to pin it down it would be a huge waste of resources.

Yeah bollock*s I figured that'd be the case alright. So meteor are as usual as useful as a co*ck flavoured lollipop yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yup nothing they can do only blacklist it, not much point you stand chance of getting it back, if it was still alive with another sim the network could find out whos using it. Not sure theyd share the information but cant see why not.

Well every phone company has an Equipment Identity Register and they're a part of the central EIR which covers Ireland and UK and possibly Europe I think so it's certainly useless in Ireland and England, I made damn sure my phone was on that. I hate being this helpless, I'd rather an attempted mugging than just some pr*ick stinging it outta my jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

so by stolen you mean lost?

• Advertisement

so by stolen you mean lost?

Elaborate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Back on topic please.

This forum is for technical discussions, not for discussing how someone's phone was lost/stolen.

Advertisement