Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was she talking about??

• 10-09-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Yesterday evening I found out of a friend that his career guidance teacher told him that some sort of form or a test had to be filled out by today to enter into a Northern Ireland college.

I went to see the teacher in question today, however she had classes all day so couldn't see to me. She told me to go to the main career guidance teacher but tell her that she sent me down as it was urgent to get this done.

That was fine, I went down to the main career teacher. She told me that guidance meetings were on Wednesday and that I should have got an appointment by now (never even knew I needed an appointment until then). I told her that the other teacher sent me down telling me that I needed to talk to her straight away. She was getting impatient at this stage and told me that there was a sheet of information going around today before leaving. No sheet of information appeared.

Does anyone have any idea what was this form or test and how strict the deadline is? I'm am very unimpressed about how my situation was handled by the main career guidance teacher. I don't do CG as I picked P.E instead but regret it now because it seems as if the only way to find out how to get into college through the school is by doing CG :( Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What year are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Leaving Cert year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

She was probably talking about UCAS. Have a read of the website. I'm not overly familiar with the procedure but a number of our leaving certs apply for UK and NI colleges every year. From what I understand your career guidance counsellor has to fill a form with your predicted grades in each subject. They will have to ask your teachers that, not you. You then have to write a piece on the form basically saying why you are suitable for entry to that college/course. It's not all points/grades based. Looking at the UCAS site there are also admissions examinations for some colleges/courses, particularly medicine, dentistry and veterinary courses, much like our HPAT for medicine I'd imagine. You'll find that info under the Admissions link. Some courses have a deadline for 15th October.

http://www.ucas.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks, but I've read both the ucas and the uk cat websites. Both of which have deadlines for october so I haven't any idea what was supposed to be in for yesterday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i can't give you much info because i'm not thinking about colleges in england or NI but my friend is thinking about colleges in such places and i'm not fully up to speed BUT....i dont think you've missed the boat yet! because all i could hear her on about was october:p so if you think you missed something on friday or thursday (or whatever day it was!) well then my friendd has too....so i doubt it:) just keep after it anyways!! can you swap back to carrers class???....that is important this year, i dont need to tell you though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭loudog

She was probably talking about the personal statement..I'm only applying to the UK this year so I can help you.

To apply to any UK college you have to do it through the Ucas and you have to write a personal statement which is like a mini essay about you and why you are applying to whatever course.

I have sent my application already and if you are serious about applying it do it ASAP. I went to an open day in Wales and they told me to apply ASAP because you are more likely to get a conditional offer if you do so.

My carrer guidance is also useless and I had to bully her (not really) into helping me because you have to apply through the school...

Anyway you still have time...Hope this is of any help to you and not to late..any questions you can PM me I've read a lot about the UCAS system!

Good Luck..=)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

The closing date for medicine/dentistry in the UK was today, so that was it I'd imagine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

!!! wrote: »
    The closing date for medicine/dentistry in the UK was today, so that was it I'd imagine. :)

Nope, actually the dealine for ucas for medecine, dentistry, veterinary and any Oxford or Cambridge applications is October 15th. So don't worry, plus normal deadline for eveything else isn't until january so you're still ok however it is a good idea to apply early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ruadhan wrote: »
    Nope, actually the dealine for ucas for medecine, dentistry, veterinary and any Oxford or Cambridge applications is October 15th. So don't worry, plus normal deadline for eveything else isn't until january so you're still ok however it is a good idea to apply early
    No he's right actually.

The closing date for the UKCAT which is for Medicine in all Colleges barring Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial/Kings and Birmingham was the 27th September. The closing date for the BMAT is the 30th October which covers all the aforementioned Universities barring Birmingham.

Afaik, Birmingham is the only university to not need a BMAT or UKCAT for entry to Medicine.

Though the UCAS application for Medicine/Oxbridge is the 15th October but that's for the actual UCAS application and not just registration for the Clinical aptitude tests that's needed for entry.

Advertisement