Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microbrewery on Nationwide

• 10-09-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

There was a pub on Nationwide a few days ago that is brewing on a small scale, I thought it was an admirable approach to running a pub.

Clip here

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I was down there last weekend and stayed over. Beautiful spot and a lovely pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Fair play to them, I hope the locals support them and don't ask for Budweiser all the time, its ironic that people from 5,000 miles away ask for a local beer and the locals ask for the likes of Heineken! I was in Bull and Castle a few weeks ago in daytime and a Irish woman came in and asked for a pint of Miller he said we don't have miller on draught and gave her 3 or 4 options but she wouldn't try any of them and left. I find the Irish the least open to new things and the most influenced by stupid advertising. Whats her stuff like anyway?

I hope the locals support them and don't ask for Budweiser all the time
    The locals never drink the house beer, apparently. Notice the old regular in the video is drinking lager. He was in last Monday morning at 10.30 too, drinking lager.
    Whats her stuff like anyway?
    It's decent. A fairly simple dark English ale, a bit like a mild only hoppier.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The locals never drink the house beer, apparently. Notice the old regular in the video is drinking lager. He was in last Monday morning at 10.30 too, drinking lager.

It's decent. A fairly simple dark English ale, a bit like a mild only hoppier.

Was thinking "Micksy" might not be the most adventurous! Though if you were a regular in a place like that you think you'd have the decency to support the woman's efforts. Maybe offering it for 40 cent less than the commercial brands would help if she can afford to.

Maybe offering it for 40 cent less than the commercial brands would help if she can afford to.
    There's a school of thought (which I don't necessarily subscribe to) that says this is not the way to promote an unfamiliar beer. If it's cheap, the perception may be that it's low-quality.

In this, I doubt price has anything to do with why people don't drink it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

I saw that on Nationwide too and really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed thinking about how it doesn't occur more often like in most other european countries and I'm now hugely disappointed to hear that the locals don't support it. Ironic to think that if it was any other agri product the attitude would be 100% reversed.

I too disagree with the attitude that cheap = inferior. Local beers should be cheaper because these no need to cover marketing/advertising/distribution costs. Again I might be wrong about this but the local beer on the continent is always cheaper and I've never heard anybody questioning the quality.

"Ironic to think that if it was any other agri product the attitude would be 100% reversed."

Your totally right, everyones banging on about farmers markets and their great local produce (rightly) but still drinking the major bland beers a bit like asking at a farmers market for the nearest Mc Donalds, on the price issue people are always asking for pubs with the cheapest pint so I don't think its a case of cheap is inferior necessarily. In a way though most people are sheep and proud that they support the biggest football team (Man U), drink the biggest soft drink, Coca Cola and drink the "king of beers" , Budweiser, most people think the more people do/drink something the better it must be unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

"Ironic to think that if it was any other agri product the attitude would be 100% reversed."

You can't change peoples habits over night and it is a scenario that this will take time and effort. Especially when you think where it is based ... which is probably a very conservative area ... i.e. people are used to what they are used to for years ... it is all very easy for the like of us to say why they don't try the loacl beer ...but you'll probably find that they have ... but not neccessairly an easy drinking experience to them.

It is the very same for any locally produced product ... take cheese or anything else for that matter it just takes time ... would you reckon the same auld lad is eating kilo's of local goats cheese ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I was in Bull and Castle a few weeks ago in daytime and a Irish woman came in and asked for a pint of Miller he said we don't have miller on draught and gave her 3 or 4 options but she wouldn't try any of them and left. I find the Irish the least open to new things and the most influenced by stupid advertising.

Spot on - so typical. Sadly thats very much the reality with the vast majority of drinkers here. I know plenty of people who like their booze in an acholic sense but would be liable to comment 'whats that ****e' if I had an unusual brand of drink in my hand - happy to drink the same piss all the time.

There is hope though - a local of mine in Roscommon town now sells old speckled hen and galway hooker on tap, both of which seem to be doing well - mostly bought by people 30 + though - not bad for a small town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

There was a feature on Pat Kenny's radio show today about micro brewers and some of the issues they deal with, including the lack of local hops! It should be on the RTE website for download soon, if it's not there now.

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to be up yet, but in the meantime, here's 22 seconds of Cuilán.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Spot on - so typical. Sadly thats very much the reality with the vast majority of drinkers here. I know plenty of people who like their booze in an acholic sense but would be liable to comment 'whats that ****e' if I had an unusual brand of drink in my hand - happy to drink the same piss all the time.

There is hope though - a local of mine in Roscommon town now sells old speckled hen and galway hooker on tap, both of which seem to be doing well - mostly bought by people 30 + though - not bad for a small town.

what pub has these on tap?is it JJ Harlows?a few of the restaurants in roscommon sell galway hooker the last few months but hopefully some more pubs support it especially as its brewed in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

yabadabado wrote: »
    what pub has these on tap?is it JJ Harlows?a few of the restaurants in roscommon sell galway hooker the last few months but hopefully some more pubs support it especially as its brewed in the town.

Yes, that's the pub and Gleeson's hotel have Hooker too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

That was a good bit of radio indeed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Really really enjoyed that

Advertisement