Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughters school skirt

Options
  • 10-09-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

My 15 year old is wearing her school skirt very short, she never used to wear the school skirt untill this term, should i say something to her about it ? Im really not comfortable with how short she wears it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Denzil2222 wrote: »
    My 15 year old is wearing her school skirt very short, she never used to wear the school skirt untill this term, should i say something to her about it ? Im really not comfortable with how short she wears it.

Well talk is good my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

How short is short?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

don't know where you are living but if its anything like the shortness of skirts in Cork or Ennis I'd have a chat with her.

In Limerick on the other hand the girls wear them to their toes - I prefer that one to be honest. They can get a bit wet in the rain, but its much more decent that the shorties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Even in the national schools the skirts are well above the knee, i know for sure my 11 year old pulls here skirt up higher (aprox 3 inches above knee) as do many of her class mates (5th class).
    She has been warned to go no highter than the 3 inches.

At least when the cold weather comes she'll be wearing trousers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

How short is short?
    when she bent over at fridge yesterday morning i could see her knickers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Lucky she wasnt wearing a throng!!!

Take a photo the next time and show her, she might just realise then that anyone could do the same and share it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes I think you need to have quite soon, that is way too short,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

give her the option of wearing opaque tights underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

also during your talk with her you could teach her not to just bend over but to bend down from the knees.

zxy wrote: »
    give her the option of wearing opaque tights underneath
    Thats a good idea, i said to her a couple of days ago that she should wear the school pants because it was a wet day but she said no that the skirt was much more comfortable, most of the other girls in her school wear the skirt short so i understand that she just wants to fit in with her peers, at least its an all girls school.

• Advertisement

seems to be the trend down here atm, mine has a pair for every outfit at this stage.

zxy wrote: »
    seems to be the trend down here atm, mine has a pair for every outfit at this stage.

are you talking about opaque tights? Are short school skirts popular in your daughters school? Do you think im overreacting?

Hi
    the opaque tights thing. Short skirts have always been around :D
    Herself has just moved out of her summer wardrobe which consisted of cut off jeans and smocks with opaque tights underneath into her school uniform with opaque tights underneath.
    and no I don't think you're overeacting, I think you're being a responsible parent.

link if you scroll down a bit you can see what I mean, the skirts are worn a couple of inches above the knee but its acceptable with tights.

(Sorry for continuous edit but if she does choose to wear them just make sure she gets good quality cotton ones, they need to be able to breathe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

You are the parent and you need to protect her, if her skirt is too short you are responsible for ensuring that she gets a different skirt or that she at least understands the affect that a far too short skirt can have on a girls reputation or on teenage boys for that matter.

You sound as if you are almost afraid of her, you are her parent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

If you are going to talk to her about it, don't start by saying she can't wear the skirt so short, instead go for the approach of talking to her about valueing herself and her body and the impression that she is giving off to other people by wearing the skirt so short. It could make more of a difference than telling her outright she's not to wear the skirt so short, because the moment she's out of the house or in school, she can just pull it up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What danger does this pose, exactly? In my school, it was like a competition to see who could get their skirt the shortest. Any student's "waywardness" had nothing to do with the length (or lack thereof) of her skirt. My skirt was micro-short (always wore thick tights though) and I didn't have a reputation - it takes a bit more than a short skirt to develop that. :)

Advertisement