Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet or Smart Telecom??

• 10-09-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Hi just wodering what is better for gaming in particular and low latency/pings???
    I know smart are cheaper but dont offer high download speeds.
    What service would be fast in installing it without any issues and guaranteed low ping??? Im in Dublin 22.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

Hi, Im not sure about magnet, but smart is now Digiweb and digiweb have a fairly low cap i mean i got a new pc and installed a few games Via Steam and now im capped with terrible download speeds so its impossible to game, ive kept my usage to 50mb per day the past 6 days and its still the same :-l, but if you phone magnet and ask what there cap is you should be good anything 50GB+ will be fine for games really maybe less depends on how much you download etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

have you got UPC in your area? even the low speeds are suitable for PC gaming, pings are respectable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Smarts cap is heafty 170GB and its extenable. You can also have your cap reset for a fee.
    we've had them for a while and they're great. Rock solid and genuinely contention free if you're able to avail of their LLU service and you're connected directly to their equipment.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?p=27418
    Explains all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

So Smart/Digiwebs pings as good as Magnet??
    No UPC in my area till after xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Pings with magnet would be slightly lower but nothing major either service should be fine for ya :D

• Advertisement

the only downside of smart is that their phone service is a bit basic compared to eircom. There's no voicemail or call waiting. So, you will have to buy an answering machine.
    It does have caller display and full call diversion though.

Their phone service is provided by multi service access node (msan) installed at your local exchange. Its basically a small unit that provides DSL and voice services and back hauls everything over an IP network.

Your line is unplugged from eircom's equipment and connected to theirs instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

How much is the Smart/Digiweb be download limit increased and how much, for me 250GB would be the High side of normal and slow months will be 150GB.

Right now i'm on the older Eircom bundle and while the 250GB fair usage limit will probably do when the area gets NGB i wanted to know my options, i can only get dsl.

Advertisement