Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get matching nand dumps {360 jtag}

• 10-09-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Jtaging my 360 i cant get matching dumps and ive put hot glue over all the soldier conections i checked them and doube checked them and they were all fine before i guled them up.

What can i do can i keep going with out matching dumps ?

Ps ive got the ground going from the 360 to the lpt port which i seen in some guide but i cant find it now as others have the ground going to some were on the 360.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What method are you using to dump the nand, lpt or usb? Are you power cycling the machine after every dump (this changes something in the nand, & results in a variation)?

Edit - sorry I see it's the lpt method. Can you try grounding elsewhere, to be sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

No im not power cycling the 360 or the pc ill have a look at grounding some were else onse this dump is done hope i can with it all guled up.

Should have waited to gule it :o.

i just tryed to turn on my 360 and it wont power on should it be able to turn on while ive got the lpt cable conected ?

Got the xbox to power on when i took the lpt out of the pc

This is the way this guide is showing me to wire it up

SPI__JTAG_diagram_zephyr-falcon-opu.png

This is the way i have it wired the part in white i dont have a ground is the way i have it ok ?

JTAG_diagram-opu.png

Ps i havent wired up the botom part yet as the guide i had before said dump the nand then wire up the rest cant find that guide any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If you can't get the same dump then check your cable lengths (as short as possible), check your soldering at all points, especially at ground, and check your LPT port settings - some LPT ports are "polled" during the dump at different points in the dump which really wrecks it.

• Advertisement

I tryed out nand compare and it reconstucted my nand from 3 nands that were a little out and now i have two nands the same is it ok to use a nand dumb and a reconstucted nand ?

Would you buy a car if you knew it had been constructed from 3 crashed cars? I know the car analogy is poor enough because a corrupt nand is not gonna kill you but both are going to cost you if the risk doesn't pay off.

Also, nand compare should be used twice on 6 dumps (3 each time) to produce 2 nands the same. Running nand compare twice on 3 dumps will result in the same nand, as will running it ten times on the same 3 dumps.

Solve your problem with the LPT reader is my advice
    i just tryed to turn on my 360 and it wont power on should it be able to turn on while ive got the lpt cable conected ?

Yes, most definitely. Though it shouldn't be powered on when taking the dumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Could doing it through Linux be a better option..? If you can get the first bit done you don't have to worry about matching dumps anymore.. I'll explain.

Type into Nandpro: "nandpro lpt: -r2 Boot.bin" it will read the first bit of your nand. Then take another few and compare them.. These should definitely match, if not don't proceed! You may also want to extract your KV from the nand (you can get it from the boot.bin also) this is to get your CPU key.

Once they all match, you want to download Xell on it's own (Xbins) and flash that to your Nand along with KV. Power cycle (unplug 360 for 2 mins) then power on with eject. You'll see a blue screen, called Xell (hopefully).

You'll need Gentoo on a CD burned with IMG-Burn (Gentoo's on Xbins too), when you power it up (use eject) the tray comes out - insert the Live Gentoo ISO disk. You want to put the tray back in, but if it's too soon it can cause problems. To upgrade Xell to Xellous using Nandpro type "nandpro lpt: +W16 xell-1f.bin 40" - do this EXACTLY as it is typed, capital W especially! Obv. the xellous file and everything else needs to be in "C:\Nandpro".

You should have to wait a while as it's picked up and loaded, but soon you should exit Xellous and see Tux with the lanching of Linux!

Getting there is the most important part.. This is where it's from and explains the whole process. The files he's calling C1.bin/C2.bin are what I called Boot.bin earlier.

Just the very start of the Nand is all you wanna work with until in Linux, that way you're not relying on your LPT cable as much for the entire 16mb. Once you get Gentoo loaded, read tutes for installing XBR/Freeboot from linux for all the commands etc. Flashing from onboard is SO much faster than LPT!

Not sure if everything is spot on, but it's a rough guide as to what ya wanna do..

Very true to what Wez is saying, get XeLLous on and you're laughing really. But since you only have the first 2mb of your nand the first thing you need to do is dump the rest of the nand via the HTTP interface that Xellous supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh, or if you wanna avoid the extra stress of trying to connect to it through HTTP (was awkward for me) then, when you go to flash from Linux it will make a backup of what was there originally (most importantly it's through it's own USB port, avoiding the tricky LPT wiring altogether).. I'll try dig up the guide I used originally, it was exactly what you need now.

• Advertisement

Ive flashed xell useing that guide got mahing dumps useing nandpro lpt: -r2 Boot.bin

but now im geting 1 red light and a blank screen

Now i might as well tell you that i messed up DB1f1 So i went to FT1u2 that was grand on till some one offer asking before me on adverts seconds before me as i was look at the guys other ads to try to see if he said were in dublin he was in his ads i trew my mouse back on to my desk and it pulled the jtag wire along with FT1u2 point of the board :mad:

I no its kind of funny but hey ive scribed in to the trace of FT1u2 but cant be 100 % sure if it is good enough ive checked all other cableing and it is all fine any help would be great.

Ive flashed xell useing that guide got mahing dumps useing nandpro lpt: -r2 Boot.bin

but now im geting 1 red light and a blank screen

Now i might as well tell you that i messed up DB1f1 So i went to FT1u2 that was grand on till some one offer asking before me on adverts seconds before me as i was look at the guys other ads to try to see if he said were in dublin he was in his ads i trew my mouse back on to my desk and it pulled the jtag wire along with FT1u2 point of the board :mad:

I no its kind of funny but hey ive scribed in to the trace of FT1u2 but cant be 100 % sure if it is good enough ive checked all other cableing and it is all fine any help would be great.

Have you any USB devices plugged in while booting? I had the same problem for some unknown reason, plugged out a usb stick I had in, and everything booted as normal. Just a thought. Can you dump the nand again twice and compare?

No usb in the box and when i dump the nand now it is a xell nand.

No usb in the box and when i dump the nand now it is a xell nand.

Restore your original nand, hope RROD goes away. then start again from scratch

Restore your original nand, hope RROD goes away. then start again from scratch

Can i restore even if i only have the 1st bit of the nand the boot i used nandpro lpt: -r2 Boot.bin to get the nand

I flashed the boot nand 2 mb one no joy 3 red lights flashing one of the 16 mb nands that i could not match i found one with only 1 differance and fixed the error to match the other nands ill report back when the dump is done.

Ok i flashed the nand back got 3 red lights removed the jtag wireing and xbox turned on with the green lights but a blank screen is the xbox fooked dont no were to go from here.

It seems the JTAG wiring is having some effect anyway. You have verified dumps so yo should be ok. Re-do the connections again and try-flash, the good dump back on. Concentrate on that track you lifted & is now scribed. Can you run a small piece of Kynar even from point to point, to bypass the track?

The only dumps i have that i no are good and 100 % ok are the 2mb boot dumps the 16 mb full nand dumps had an error in them but not all in the same place so i reconstructed the nands i no its not the best idea but it was all i had.

So as long as i have working boot dumps should i be ok ?

The only dumps i have that i no are good and 100 % ok are the 2mb boot dumps the 16 mb full nand dumps had an error in them but not all in the same place so i reconstructed the nands i no its not the best idea but it was all i had.

So as long as i have working boot dumps should i be ok ?

Well provided the circuitry & wiring for flashing the nand is functional, it should work. Regards re-building the dumps, I've never done that so I can't say how accurate the build will be or if it will even work...

• Advertisement

Another quick question one of my diodes is bad can i try flash xell again with out the jtag wires in place then take the diode of the lpt cableing and put it in the jtag cableing ?

Going to go to maplin to get an other diode either way but it would be handy if i could do this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

did you have dvd connected when booting xell? you need to have it plugged on, at least the power cable

edit: get bat41 diodes, they work better

docentore wrote: »
    did you have dvd connected when booting xell? you need to have it plugged on, at least the power cable

No i didnt feck i didnt no that.

Ps does xell work with the component leads with just useing the 3 leads for scart

Cant find bat41 diodes on the maplin web site i no i can prob get them else were but as im not in dublin any more maplin is the only shop that sells this kind of stuff near me

Ok thenightrider, time to pay some serious attention to this thread:

Please outline the exact steps you have done, in as much detail as you can provide.

This is what I understand:

1) You soldered an LPT reader but were having problems obtaining two dumps without differences. Were you dumping the full 16MB or the 2MB at this stage?

2) You were looking at using nandcompare and 3 dumps to rebuild a proper, full dump - how did this go? I advised you that it would better to get a full proper dump from your reader.

3) You followed a guide to read the first 2MB of the nand to flash Xell to it. This didn't go so good, right?

So please, provide as much info and we'll hopefully get you back working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

docentore wrote: »

edit: get bat41 diodes, they work better

You do? Well maybe that was my problem :/

Ok thenightrider, time to pay some serious attention to this thread:

Please outline the exact steps you have done, in as much detail as you can provide.

This is what I understand:

1) You soldered an LPT reader but were having problems obtaining two dumps without differences. Were you dumping the full 16MB or the 2MB at this stage?

2) You were looking at using nandcompare and 3 dumps to rebuild a proper, full dump - how did this go? I advised you that it would better to get a full proper dump from your reader.

3) You followed a guide to read the first 2MB of the nand to flash Xell to it. This didn't go so good, right?

So please, provide as much info and we'll hopefully get you back working.

1)I was dumping the full 16Mb

2)I could not get matching dumps i dumped about 15 times and when i tryed the power cycle turn it of betwwen dumps the dumps were noting a like nandcompare was able to make a matching dump from the frist 3 dumps i had done.

3)I have managed to dump the first 2mb of the nand a good few times and they all match lst night was up to all hours i was injecting xellous in to xell but it turns out this morning with a clear head it was xell i was trying to inject in to xellous i had renamed the wrong file :o so did it right today but when i try to boot in to xell i just get a blank screen i did not have the dvd drive in the 360 when trying to boot it up.

Put the DVD drive back in and see how that goes with Xell/Xellous :)

It shouldn't make a difference though, when I do my JTAGs I'll power on the motherboard with power, A/V and the fan cooling the CPU/GPU - no DVD drive. The machine kicks straight into XeLL/XeLLous. When you plug in the DVD drive the eject button is what you need to get into XeLL. That is the only difference in my experience.

The Black Screen is either a bad keyvault, or for some reason XeLL can't load it's exploit properly so the JTAG soldering needs to be rechecked.

I was up to 5.30 last night trying to get this going I think i no were the problum MUST be but not sure if i can sort it my self.

I tryed it with the dvd with out the dvd this way and that way resoldierd all the cables apart from one cable as im not sure if id be able to get it back on if i take it of it is were i scraped in to Ft1u2 that point has to be bad :(

Were can i go from here ?

To be honest dude it really does sound like you've made a bit of a mess for yourself.

Why did you go for FT1U2 and not DB1F1? Then why did you have to scrape into the trace, did you lift the two pads?

It really sounds like you might have to drop this one over to somebody else to take a look at, or at least get out a digital camera and start taking some pictures of the situation.

Speaking of which, what the current status of the board - is the nand all original, or is it 2mb of Xell with 14MB of the original nand? Does the console RROD still?

• Advertisement

I think it is time to trow in the towel on this one someone that nos what they are doing needs to get there hands on this.

I wonder if any one would want to swap this jtagable for a non jtagale 360 :confused: even a banned one im about to crack open my brand new elite that has been siting there as a back up relly did not want to flash this one or jtag it wanted to keep it for live :(

Advertisement