Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best flat roof

• 10-09-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

I need to change the flat roof on my house, there is a felt torch on roof at the moment and i have a price to go ahead with a direct replacement, 10 year guarantee, has to be maintained/painted once a year if the insurance is to pay out if it leaks.

option two

a black imperial finish 15 guarantee, no maintenance?

anyone have an idea which is best?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What do you mean by black imperial finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

strip the flat roof repair the timber and get trocal or sarnafill instead of torch on felt. insulation can be put under this.Theres a 20 year garentee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the roof is only 6 years old, the timbers are all good. Sorry for not getting back on the last question. The black imperial is (according to one guy) it's like the torch on, it's black, comes in lengths to roll out and has a kind of rough small stoney finish. It does not need to be painted every year. He has offered me a 20 year guarantee with it.

I already have a shed refitted with this black imperial stuff, it seems ok, it went on over the older roof, what i did notice is that when you need to sweep it to take away general dirt, the little stones come off, so I have avoided doing that since..

The capping stones on the extension are wrong too, there is no overhang on them and it has caused water to get in under them. Its not good for a 5/6 year old job with an out of business builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

That sounds like a Green Mineral felt to me, or something like it, I would go with the first choice.

I have used this myself, and when done properly lasts up to 20 years..

For a longer lasting solution you should get a price for Ash Felt, its more costly, but will last a lot longer than than felt.. Worth getting a quote..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Good torch on felts like Bauder, Paralon etc are very good, but only as good as the workmanship that puts them down, especially when it comes to forming abutments, gutters, valleys and verges. A fully bonded torch on membrane on insualtion (up to 130mm thick) will give excellent results, when properly detailed. Trocal/ Sarnafil and other PVC membranes are also very good but you will be limited to a smaller list of registered installers who can undertake this work and offer a guarantee. A registered installer (of any reputable membrane) will offer a guarantee underwritten by an insurance company, usually provided after a final inspection by the supplier. How this works on smaller domestic projects I don't know- my past experience is mostly confined to larger (commercial) flat roof projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Good torch on felts like Bauder, Paralon etc are very good, but only as good as the workmanship that puts them down, especially when it comes to forming abutments, gutters, valleys and verges. A fully bonded torch on membrane on insualtion (up to 130mm thick) will give excellent results, when properly detailed. Trocal/ Sarnafil and other PVC membranes are also very good but you will be limited to a smaller list of registered installers who can undertake this work and offer a guarantee. A registered installer (of any reputable membrane) will offer a guarantee underwritten by an insurance company, usually provided after a final inspection by the supplier. How this works on smaller domestic projects I don't know- my past experience is mostly confined to larger (commercial) flat roof projects.

by pvc are you also including fibreglass or grp roofing?

Advertisement