Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BEONE........Good choice?

• 11-09-2010 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having spent the last 2 years running I'm keen to get a bike soon for training, weekend spins and maybe some races at some stage....I've spent a year looking at bikes and prices but am now finally going to take the plunge...I'm interested to see what you experienced cyclists think of this bike and spec....A BEONE Blizzard '09 on Chain Reaction with Ultegra kit for €1184, to my eyes it seems like a good combination of frame, forks, and GS for the money...Any ideas, suggestions that could help/guide me?

digger2d2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

thats a cracking bike alright, will serve you very nicely
    thats a 53cm frame, which is pretty small, what size are you? as a guide Im 6" and ride a 58.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Bought a Beone Storm 3 a few years ago as my first road bike and have no compalints. Very good bike. And what your are looking at looks a good spec too. The same with Chainreactions the bike was delivered two days later as they said it would.
    The only thing is that when I got it, there was still a bit of work to do. I had to set up the handle bars, gears and brakes, which if like me you haven't a clue what you are doing is a problem. In the end I brought it down to my local bike shop (Quay Cycles in Drogheda) and they put it together properly for €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I bought a beone mistral 2009 last year and it is superb. I had a fair bit of assembling to do though compared to the focus I bought from wiggle this year. Bear in mind that I think that the bike you are looking at has a triple chainring which isn't to everyone's taste. I upgraded my wheels and tyres which you may or may not wish to do down the line. It got me through the skyride this year without an issue unlike some unlucky riders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

me@ucd wrote: »
    thats a cracking bike alright, will serve you very nicely
    thats a 53cm frame, which is pretty small, what size are you? as a guide Im 6" and ride a 58.

I'm 5" 8' and a half so I think it should be fine!

Make sure you check out the Beone website for a geometry chart to get your correct size. I think Beone give the frame size as the length of the seat tube, centre of bottom bracket to top and not where the join is with the cross bar. Thus, 53 cm would be a pretty small frame even for someone at 5'8" (and a half).

Also, my mistake, as it is the 2009 you are looking at it is an Ultegra 6600 double. It's basically the same as the Mistral that I bought but with Tiagra upgraded to Ultegra and you won't be disappointed.

For sizing:
    http://www.beone-bikes.nl/EN/xtra/brochure.php

• Advertisement

ashleey wrote: »
    Make sure you check out the Beone website for a geometry chart to get your correct size. I think Beone give the frame size as the length of the seat tube, centre of bottom bracket to top and not where the join is with the cross bar. Thus, 53 cm would be a pretty small frame even for someone at 5'8" (and a half).

Also, my mistake, as it is the 2009 you are looking at it is an Ultegra 6600 double. It's basically the same as the Mistral that I bought but with Tiagra upgraded to Ultegra and you won't be disappointed.

For sizing:
    http://www.beone-bikes.nl/EN/xtra/brochure.php

That's an important half as it brings me from average Irish male height in the 70's to average male height in the 80's......;)

Just to help with sizing, I am 7 (and a half) inches taller than you and bought a 62cm frame as it was on special. I bought a 100cm stem to replace the 120cm stock issue as the bike felt a bit stretched, and now it is a great fit. On that basis the 53 cm frame could be perfect for you but it is really down to the inside leg measurement. Good luck with it as it is a great bike to own.

I copied this from the Evans Cycles website:

Height: 5 6" - 5' 9" Frame Size: 54 - 55 M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

i've a 53cm beone and i'm similar height, it fits me fine, good luck with it,

just looked at spec and that bike has a double chainring, as a beginner you may find a compact is easier for the hills

have you looked at other bikes, you'd get a carbon fibre frame for not alot more money.

ashleey wrote: »
    I copied this from the Evans Cycles website:

Height: 5 6" - 5' 9" Frame Size: 54 - 55 M

That's interesting......

novarapid wrote: »
    i've a 53cm beone and i'm similar height, it fits me fine, good luck with it,

just looked at spec and that bike has a double chainring, as a beginner you may find a compact is easier for the hills

have you looked at other bikes, you'd get a carbon fibre frame for not alot more money.

Yeah...I've looked at Focus Cayo, Ribble and Planet x......What attracted me to the BEONE was the Ultegra kit....The others would have 105 at that price point (or a bit higher in some cases)....I've read conflicting reports and am unsure whether to get a more upmarket-ish Alu frame or a low end carbon one...

• Advertisement
Advertisement